1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Help Help / tips: Coil buidling - dual coil RDTA

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by SooKee, May 19, 2018.

1. SooKee
    Lurking

SooKee Thread Starter Contented Single Coiler

Just got myself a DJV (dual coil) RDTA and been doing some experimenting with coils and, while I'm happy to do some trial and error, just looking for some tips so I don't waste too much time trying things that are doomed to fail from the start, or at least unlikelty to produce good results.

Initially tried Alien coils that I had lying around. I think these were too heavy gauge / too much metal. Really heated up the tank to the point of it being too hot to touch. They were coming in at 0.12 ohm and needed to be vaped at 60-70w to get any flavour. Not for me. I'm guessing a lighter 'fancy' coil would be better, maybe 2 wire clapton.

So, decdied to start again with single wire coils and prefer to KISS if they work out well. What I've tried just now is 24 ga, 3.5mm, 10 wrap and spaced the wires. They are OK but not sure the flavour is quite up there with my Ammit 25 RTA. So I'm guessing that I could trial and error a few things including:

Fewer wraps: 6-8 maybe? Perhaps try to get them to come in at 0.25 - 0.4 ohm?

Diameter: Maybe drop down to 3.0mm?

Unspaced vs spaced coils? Indeed, having just pinched the coils together, pretty much closing out the gaps the flavour is better, I'm guessing spacing isn't needed.

Gauge: I'm still thinking 24 or maybe 26mm.

Like I say, happy to keep trying but any pointers from experienced builders would be welcome. I'm thinking spacing the coil turns out might not be helping. I'm also thinking 10 wraps is too many.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Greg likes this.