1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

First impressions of the Heatvape Invader Mini 50W

Discussion in 'Thailand Vapers Reviews By Our Members' started by Dieter., May 13, 2015.

1. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Thread Starter Secret Member

I just got my Heatvape invader 2 days ago. It's a heavy solid mod that is laying good in the hand thanks to the rubber around it. Since it's waterproof to some extension and shock resistant a mod for going out and a fine mod for construction workers and others, who need something solid in their work.

2015-05-11 16.08.55.v01.jpg

It is a mod with temp control, so I just took one of my drippers Quicksilver and made a single coil with ni200 wire 0.32. I did not have any experience so fare, I only know that the wire is less resistant than Kanthal and also more soft, so I made a coil 3mm and 12 windings and it turned out to be 0.27 Ohm. The temp control was at 460 F and I set it on 20 watts and start vaping. Since I am a mouth to lung vaper, I found 20 Watt to be just perfect for mouth to lung hit. What can I say? It really felt that this was my sweet spot, and the temp control did work just fine no dry hits, but the vapor production just went down, until the temp control set me down to = Watt. Time to fill the dripper up again with juice and vape on.

The temp. control just worked fine and automatically detect a ni200 coil, IF it has enough juice. Placing the dripper with new cotton on the Invader would not detect it but as soon, as the dripper would be filled with liquid, no problems. Let me say this straight. I just love the form-factor of this mod, and i have not touched any other mod yesterday or today only the Invader.

2015-05-13 14.14.31.v01.jpg

When I got the invader Mini it was set to 460 F. I read somewhere that if you use pure cotton, 420 F would be a better setting. So that was the next thing to try. Ups no way. I simply could not get into the temperature control mode and change the temperature. So I carefully read the manual It said to click 5 times to bring the device into lock mode and then press the fire button and minus button simultaneously in 2 seconds. I did that several times but no Temperature adjust mode available, but everything else. I had some options, I could just be happy with the 460 F for the rest of my life, I could ask someone in the forum, or I could watch the German review on Youtube once more. I did go for the last option and YES DON'T press the fire button and minus button simultaneously BUT the plus and minus buttons simultaneously, and Yep there it was the Temp adjust mode. So if you cant find your way around with a mod do NOT read the manual, watch a Youtube video instead.

As you can see on my second picture I now got it down to 420 F and still very happy for the mod. Unless my other mods this one is turning itself of after some time, and then I just have to click the 5 times to activate it, and answer the question if this is the same coil or not. Otherwise he just detect the coil once more. I only shortly tried to screw a tank with Kanthal wire on it just to see that it works and it does. Just make the wattage settings and vape on.

For me it was the temperature control, that was the fascinating part, and somehow amazing how the mod regulate the wattage down, when my dripper is nearly empty and even get to send 0 watts to the dripper, when there is no more liquid in the dripper. No dry hits at all. Should I mention, that you also can vape in stealth mode and revert the screen. Options that are there, but the important for me is that the temp. control is working so fine as it does.

I really love this mod already, and if it continue to work like now this will be one favourite for sure

Steve.H, Nanook, haybilly and 10 others like this.
  2. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

Very happy you like it and it's working right for you.
    Just don't drop it on your foot, you won't break the mod but you could break your foot :)

yourauntbob and Dieter. like this.
  3. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Great review Dieter. Glad it's working out so well for you. Look forward to hearing how it performs over the next few months.
    :vaping: :cheers2: :vaping:

4. judas
    Amused

judas Lethargic Member

Great review dieter. The 5 click from sleep mode is the only thing that stopped me buying this, also a little concerned about the auto detection of the coil. Will be interested to hear your long term opinion further down the road.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  5. PattsVaper
    Lurking

PattsVaper Thailand Vapers Member

@Dieter the 5 clicks from sleep mode is no big deal. It's just like the eVic Supreme we have and you must have got used to that already. I like that it goes into sleep mode and not like my Hana dna30 clone that turns itself on all the time all by itself.
    Makes me feel like I have a ghost vaper in my room. :rolling laugh:

Dieter., Nanook and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Yeah I was interested in this too but the weight put me off.

Dieter. likes this.
  7. PattsVaper
    Lurking

PattsVaper Thailand Vapers Member

Siam Diesel, Dieter. and judas like this.
  8. Dieter.
    Fine

Yeah, but the weight turned me on :)

I just mentioned it, but you are right Pattsvaper for me personally not a big deal, and it feels a lot more safe that way..

Thanks Siam, I will update this from time to time then...

Tibo and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Well-Known Member

I like the look of this mod-and I think I'm going to win one soon in the Giveaway- ha ha. Good luck to all who entered-it looks like it will be a great prize.

10. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Great review, thanks for the info! I'm sure this is superior in several ways to the DovPo Mini E-LTV I (very super briefly) had, and I hope that I am luckier than @haybilly in V's giveaway :)

But if the Invader is about the same weight as the DovPo I bet your vaping arm is soon going to get more muscular!

Look forward to any future updates, esp. how it reacts to any accidents or mishaps :)

PattsVaper, haybilly and Siam Diesel like this.
  11. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

I like the look of it as well. Very nice review man, thanks for the detailed feedback.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  12. Dieter.
    Fine

Time for a little update :
    @ Pattsvaper mentioned that the 5 click to get the mod our of sleep mode is not a big deal and compared to the e-Vic Supreme. But also the e-Vic supreme does a bit of testing, when it comes out of sleepmode. You can see it in the display where he tells you which resistance it detects. The Heatvape Invader mini also does some testing on the tank or dripper when it comes out of sleep mode, and for me the interesting part was how did he continue with the settings.

I have now vaped on this mode for 3 days, not touching anything else. And I thought I give you an update.

Day 1. Using the Quicksilver dripper with a single coil ni200 wire. I had set the temp control at 420 F and the dripper at 20 watt. No dry hits at all, it regulated down as it should and even when the dripper was nearly empty send 0watt to the dripper. As long as there was sufficient liquid in the dripper, no problem with the sleep mode, when I had to do my 5 clicks to get it out of sleep mode it would show --- as the resistance and 420 F. Pressing the fire button to take a vape worked fine, and it changed to show the resistance correctly. But the automatic recognition of the coil could be fooled, if there was NOT sufficient liquid in the dripper. Then the mod would ask if it was a "new or same coil" , and regardless what I answered the right coil was not detected and it would just repeat the question. Unscrewing the dripper and filling more juice into it was the only way to get the heatvape Invader to recognise the coil correctly. If I made sure to fill the dripper up before I let it go into sleep mode there was no problem. And it just worked fine.

Day 2. I desided to use a tank and made a coil with ni200 wire. I choose the Taifun GT II, because I had a little problem with the build before and sometimes had something that came close to a dry hit, a bit harsh at times. Either I had a bit liquid under the driptip of the Taifun, or when I put the wattage up, I got a harsh vape. Normally I vape it at 13-15 watts, but here I choose 20 watt and 420 F. No problems whatsoever, The coil was recognised correctly and I had a fine vape good taste and nothing that in any way tasted harsh. Also when I got it back from sleeping mode clicking 5 times it showed --- as the resistance and during the first click on the fire button to take a vape, it just adjust the setting to the correct resistance and worked
    fine.

Day 3. Decided to try with the Kayfun V4 with normal kanthal. 1.4 Ohm and 15 watt. The coilsl was recognised correct by the system and vape and taste ok or fine. It worked like my other mods. When it was woken up from the sleep mode it would show the usual ...as resistance and 420 F and after pressing the fire button to take a vape, it showed the voltage instead.

So fare I have had no problems with the detecting of whether it is a kanthal coil or a ni200 coil, as soon you press the fire button to take the first vape, the correct settings where provided. Reading a little in the forum and the latest threads, I'm happy that this mod is water and therefore also e-liquid tight. I'm still happy for this mod so fare it's just working fine.

13. judas
    Amused

judas Lethargic Member

The man himself :)

**Updated**
    Off topic but he mentions at the end of the video that he's just received 2 new dna40 devices and is now experiencing first hand the screen complaints other have had.

Nanook and Siam Diesel like this.
  14. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

I like PB but he can't do a video less than 50 mins...I'll take Todd over him any day.

Nanook likes this.
  15. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

I'll usually have his videos on in the background but if I'm sat at the computer it's usually FF to numbers, FF to thumbs up/down

Siam Diesel likes this.