1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Evolv DNA 40 chips still messing up...

Discussion in 'Temperature Control board Talk' started by -V-, May 15, 2015.

1. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

And these are the latest big screen with atty lock chips
    Screen Shot 2558-05-15 at 9.51.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2558-05-15 at 9.50.53 AM.png Screen Shot 2558-05-15 at 9.50.46 AM.png Screen Shot 2558-05-15 at 9.50.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2558-05-15 at 9.50.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2558-05-15 at 9.50.20 AM.png

2. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Tried a quick comparison between the two yesterday. Very quick.
    Using the Delta, which I don't like at all with Nickel, I was hoping I could wrap around the screws but couldn't so had to use the holes the same as I do with Kanthal.

I didn't mess about with the settings other than reduce watts on the DNA 40. Both mods set to 390f.

The SX mini vaped great @ 25J (though prefer the Lemo Drop with nickel).
    The DNA 40 was a joke in comparison. Lifeless.

Now, that sounds like fanboyism but just saying how it was with that particular build, yet to try the Lemo Drop on it which has been vaping awesome the last week or so.
    As mentioned I did not mess around with the settings other than to reduce watts due to "temp protection". Same build runs flawlessly on the SX.
    Also should be noted that the DNA40 was running on a 18500 battery.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2015
  3. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Hi Rick. What was the resistance of the build and what was the wattage setting on the DNA40? Doesn't sound right to me unless you got to the joules on the mini to what would be equivalent to a wattage level that is not supported on the DNA40.

Also, 390 is a way-low temp to set at. I'm usually at 420 to 480 and get really nice vapes across a variety of attys. None could be characterized as weak or lifeless.

Siam Diesel and Rick O-Shea like this.
  4. Rick O-Shea

It was 0.13. The problem was the protection cutting in I think. I know I shouldn't be comparing numbers temp wise and I'm certainly not bashing the DNA40 but those were my observations with the same atty. I will however increase the temp now that I have a clearer head.
    **Updated**
    @Scratchy, yeah, for some reason increasing the temp was far too complicated for me this morning, I reduced wattage instead lol. What a cnut. Unsurprisingly it vapes much better.

Goes to show how different they are.
    **Updated**
    If a mod would be so kind as to put a score completely through post #2 ;)

Scratchy and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Glad to read you got it working better. I really trust the DNA40's accuracy in temp reading but with some attys that are a little flaky with conductivity I guess it could be off the mark. That's why I do not like any sort of imposed "lock" on resistance reading because resistance can change from an initial reading either by way of conditions inside the atty (coil, posts etc.) and/or the outside with 510 connections at mod and atty.

In the DNA40 group it was pointed out some months ago that so many people struggle and fight against the "temp protected" message but should instead accept it as doing it's job. Now, IMO that's only up to a point because it can cut out too much of the wattage to keep it at a temp. So, in that situation one then has to consider that the build and device combination just wont allow it to run at that temp with sustained user-set wattage. They can either accept it and bump up the temp setting to give the desired vape or they can try to adjust or rebuild and hope they have addressed the wicking or airflow limitation so as to get the coil cooler. Sometimes it just cannot be done, especially with lower temp settings and with some attys as they do not allow for enough airflow or lots of juice feed.

So, I have adopted this for some time now and instead of fighting the temp protect message I just set my temp higher to get the vape I like without noticeable and vape-impairng wattage reductions. IMO, for avoiding burning of wick and juice it's better then no temp protection at all and it will do that even at 480F unless the wick has gone completely bone dry which is quite unlikely.

Siam Diesel and Rick O-Shea like this.
  6. Rick O-Shea

@Scratchy, yeah, TBH I don't know what I was thinking. Been a few months since I last used TC with the DNA40 which was with the Rose at about 480f as well.
    Again this time I just chucked the atty on and had a few pulls. Was no issue at 450f / 22w.
    **Updated**
    I always looked as the 'temp protected' as a challenge to overcome, within reason.

7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Like that? :)

Rick O-Shea likes this.
  8. Rick O-Shea

Yeah just like that

Siam Diesel likes this.
  9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Happily, my rDNA40 (w/Big Screen but no atty lock) has been working flawlessly...have had the Subtank Mini on it with the TC coils. As @Scratchy noted, it takes a bit of playing around with the temp. limit to dial in the vape but I'm liking TC for the moment.

And, my VF will be back next weekend after a 'spa treatment' in the US...no more crooked screen, non-registering battery meter, etc. (fingers crossed). Since they don't use the DNA40 Big Screen in the Flask, I'm not expecting any problems and am quite looking forward to getting it back.

10. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

I spoke too soon...VF has been back for 10 days and working flawlessly. This morning, the dreaded scrambled screen has appeared...vapes fine but unreadable sh*te on the screen. Looks like another trip across the pond is on the cards unless they are able to come up with another solution!

11. judas
    Amused

judas Lethargic Member

You seem to be taking it quite well SD, I'd be livid and sure as hell wouldn't spend another dollar on anything with an Evolv board. I'm sitting here using a 50 USD Kangxin mini without any problems and have no reason to expect any. At that price I view them as disposable anyway.

I'd be interested to know how many board members own/have owned DNA40 devices and how many of those have actually experienced problems. Hope you can get your VF finally sorted at some stage to your satisfaction.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  12. Mack
    Relaxed

Mack Well-Known Member

Sorry to here that SD about the VF, mines been fine since its return. I was annoyed at some dirt and a bent bit of metal on the bottom on its return and VF did say they would send me a replacement cap which they didn't. I love the look and feel of the VF and the DNA 40 board is fine. I still wouldn't buy from VF again, but that's down to the state they returned mine in and the failure to send out the cap.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  13. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Thanks guys...I'm pretty philosophical about it. I love my VF and hate the thought of sending it back yet again to give them a second chance to scratch it up. ;) I'm still trying to understand how Evolv hasn't been able to fix this problem...they're on rev. 5 of the DNA40 chip FFS and this isn't rocket science.

Time for a vape before my blood pressure gets elevated. :D

Steve.H and judas like this.
  14. Rick O-Shea

Was it a new chip with atty lock?
    Sorry about that SD, maybe they'll send you a new big screen VF for the inconvenience ;)

Siam Diesel likes this.
  15. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Had to take out the batteries to reboot the screen...it's got atty lock so it's a new chip. I think the big screens are VS branded...don't think I want one of those. ;)