1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

DNA 40 Temp settings and Watt settings

Discussion in 'Temperature Control board Talk' started by -V-, Dec 12, 2014.

1. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

So I just build my first Ni200 wired coil.

I had been advised that using it in a tank it would be best to have the coil wrapped with spaces.
    So that's what i did.
    It came out at 0.14 ohms
    What's confusing me is how to set the Temp and Watts for the best performance.

Usually i vape at around 16W so what temp setting is best?
    At 460 F and 16W it wasn't really chucking the vapour like it does with standard mode with a 1.3 ohm coil set at 16 W

Any user of the DNA 40 got any tips?..

2. -V-
    Cool

Oh a picture of my first DNA 40 temp screen

Screen Shot 2557-12-12 at 10.41.47 PM.png

Tibo likes this.
  3. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

I was under the impression that the wattage played second fiddle to the temperature. I envisaged setting it to 40w and then finding my sweet spot for the temperature.

Tip for near perfect spaced coils, wrap a parallel coil, then separate them and save the other one for later... (you might do something similar anyway...)

Siam Diesel likes this.
  4. -V-
    Cool

Not what i understand.
    You set them together...
    What is kind of working so far is 460 F with 20W....but still not that kind of vapour I would get with standard 1.3 ohm at 16 w..

Need to play more..
    At least it works though....and my coil was kinda crap...
    I have seen people do pushed together coils so I might have a play with that way tomorrow...

What i can say is it's great with the temp thing...it's cool knowing you aren't going to get a dry burnt hit while playing around with the settings.....
    Can't wait to get the Zero with the 40 in it....

5. -V-
    Cool

Anyone know what the average ohm coil is for this Ni 200 wire on builds?

6. Talen
    Doh

Talen Well-Known Member

From what I have heard .15 or thereabouts is the sweet spot for the coil...and everything I have heard about wattage is that you will be setting the wattage quite a bit higher than you are used to with Kanthal and that will switch back and forth a lot as temperature is reached.

7. -V-
    Cool

It's like learning all over again...lol...
    Going to have to try some different builds i think...
    Just as i had got my Kanthal build perfect for wraps and ohms i have to start messing around with this DNA 40 stuff :voodoo:

8. kurt
    Blah

kurt Well-Known Member

I have a suggestion for getting the spacing perfect.. wrap it like a normal coil then take a similar sized screw and thread the screw into it and apply heat with a torch to set it... this should give you very even spaces. Since I have zero experience with a DNA mod I will leave you here.

Kurt

kevin bangkok, Siam Diesel and Mack like this.
  9. BuzzSamui
    Cloud_9

BuzzSamui Well-Known Member

yeah, I woulda thought (from what I can remember from reviews), at .15 or thereabouts you'd have to pump the wattage up to around 30w or maybe more ...

good luck with it and hope you get it 'smoking' soon (no pun intended) ...

:vaping:

10. -V-
    Cool

This is the confusing point, what ohm with this stuff do I need to get 16 Ws??
    Where's @ryanmacl when you need him :wink:

Anyway, I am buzzing like hell off nic right now as I've been vaping hard with it testing it so time to sleep....

Konvict likes this.
  11. Talen
    Doh

Talen Well-Known Member

From what I remember from all the reviews you aren't going for a specific wattage in temp mode because it's constantly switching when it hit's temp...you're kinda looking for the power that the wattage gives...higher wattage will get you to that temp faster...you are the guinea pig for all of us so remember to strap the helmet on.

Konvict likes this.
  12. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

That what I understood as well watching couple of video.

Something I donvt understand, the .15ohms coil you have is nothing like a kanthal .15ohms correct ?

You are automatically subohming with this stuff ? Is it even called subohming with nickel wire ?
    Can you build a >1ohms coil ?

Soo much question in my head right now aaaaaarghhhh

Sent from the future

13. Anbessa
    Thinking

Anbessa Come&Go Member

What i got so far from videos is nikel wire is very low resistance wire and to have temp. control on the DNA 40 working is best to have around .15 ohm.

If you want to have 1 ohm coil you would need to wrap a very long coil as i understand it. But how is it with dual or quad coil set up's?

14. -V-
    Cool

Been vaping at the same W and temp all day, this is my sweet spot with this build and the juice I am suing.
    photo.JPG

This Temperature control thing is the future for sure...
    Every vape is excellent, and to be able to vape my Rose tank clean dry of juice without the usual burnt, bad taste when you start to get low on the juice being wicked is unbelievable...
    I just did it, not a drop of juice in the tank yes still pressing the button and getting a wisp of vapour but nothing else...fill it back up and full on again..

The DNA 40 chip hasn't missed a beat so far either...

Pipcon, Talen, Konvict and 1 other person like this.
  15. -V-
    Cool

Ok, got a new build on it.

Around 8 wraps on a tooth pick, slightly and nicely spaced out.
    30 Gauge wire (from SD) and it's coming out at 0.17, have it set at 18 W and 480 F....
    Vaping nicely....

After trying a few builds today for the Rose v2 I am finding the 30 gauge to work well....