1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

DIY Coils: Tips, Tricks, and Whatnot

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by debatedude, May 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Thread Starter Mech Moderator Staff Member

EXTREME GANGSTER PRO-TIP

How to get your coils spotless: fill a glass with water, leaving 1-2 mm from the lip. Set your atty to 80% of your normal wattage and fire up your coils. Now submerge them in the water! BE CAREFUL! Do NOT submerge your atty! Seriously, really don't submerge the atty, just the coils. Now, keep the coils firing for two (2) seconds submerged in the water. After 2 seconds, stop firing and pull the coils out of the water. Shake off the excess water and repeat 1-2 more times. Finally, dry off the coils by giving them a quick dry burn (you can also make sure they are burning evenly). PRESTO! IF you haven't shorted out your atty and blown your hand off, your coils are now clean and like new!

ErikNK, SooKee and Siam Diesel like this.
  2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

:rolling laugh: :rolling laugh:
    My OCD doesn't kick up to that extent...better to just make a new one. ;)

SooKee and debatedude like this.
  3. debatedude
    No Mood

TBH, this is how I clean all my attys

Siam Diesel and SooKee like this.
  4. SooKee
    Lurking

SooKee Contented Single Coiler

I did similar last time. Under a running tap. Adds a bit of white water rafting type excitement.

Sent using Tapatalk

debatedude likes this.
  5. SooKee
    Lurking

TBH I've been trying to locate some food grade anti seize compound or lubricant but searches at all the popular shopping sites turn up KY and multiple flavours of sex lube! Even adding in the NSF H1 term doesn't turn anything up. Maybe an industrial kitchen supply place would be better. Plus of course I don't want a 500 ml or gallon drum of the stuff!

Sent using Tapatalk

debatedude likes this.
  6. hotdogs1

hotdogs1 Well-Known Member

Food grade petroleum jelly is out there, we have some at work. Don't know where to get it though.
    Plain VG is good. A 30ml bottle would last you a long time.
    **Updated**
    Try searching anti gaulling.

SooKee and debatedude like this.
  7. hotdogs1

hotdogs1 Well-Known Member

You could probably use lip balm, I'm guessing that would be food grade.

8. SooKee
    Lurking

Yeah but I'm not sure if these products contain anything else which is damaging to the O rings and / or metal (over time), an an example I never thought about the issue of vaseline and o rings TBH.

9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Or KY jelly...definitely edible. :D

SooKee, hotdogs1 and debatedude like this.
  10. debatedude
    No Mood

That tends to dry out over time

SooKee and Siam Diesel like this.
  11. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Yep, since it's water-based... ;)

debatedude likes this.
  12. ErikNK
    Cloud_9

ErikNK Smok, Vaporesso

Tanks, a lot of good tips here. I use a lot of sweet juice and rewick every day, I also clean my coils by heat them up and stick it in water for a second, repeat it two times. I prefer dual coils and if i dont get them to glow even I space them, that is the easiest way to get them even, if I use kanthal its easy to get them even, but fused clapton or ALIEN I have to fiddle more to get them even. My wicking, I do the cotton thick in the middle and thin and short in the ends, I use Max VG or VG 70 PG 30 so I dont want to loosen the cotton to much like in a Scottish roll, the juice go faster true a cotton that still has its structure. I prefer Clapton NI wire in TCR before Kanthal, in my RDA dual coils I use 12 wrap 3 mm 24G Kanthal on a dual battery mech mod, thats the best flavor and clouds for me, in my RTA tanks I only use Fused clapton NI and flat Alien wire. I change my coil at least once a week, after a week it taste odd no matter what colour the coils have.

SooKee, debatedude and Siam Diesel like this.
  13. debatedude
    No Mood

Thanks for the additions!

SooKee, Siam Diesel and ErikNK like this.
  14. SooKee
    Lurking

Thanks to @debatedude for suggesting Ambulance brand cotton here too!! I find it beds in much faster than say, Coil Master cotton (which I get a cotton taste from for way too long) and at 40 baht a bag of about 100+ pads it's a great option IMO. I find if I peel off the two outer layers I can then split the remaining pad in two (peel it into two sheets) which are then about the same thickness as Muji. I find it wicks really well!!

debatedude and Siam Diesel like this.
  15. debatedude
    No Mood

ANALLY-RETENTIVE PRO-TIP #1:

Invest in a quality pair of scissors for wick cutting. Use those scissors ONLY for wick-cutting. You don't have to spend a lot of money, I only spent 59 baht for a pair. However they are the perfect size and because I use them only on cotton, have maintained their sharpness for a couple of years.

ANALLY-RETENTIVE PRO-TIP #2:

If you mix metals (SS and nichrom, kanthal or SS, or any combo), get different colored drip tips that signify the type of wire. I go between SS and nichrome, so nichrome gets black and SS gets "yellow." It also helps that all my attys take goon tips :) The two attys pictured are identical (both Cartel Obelisk). BUt because of the different colored goon tips, I know what each one is loaded with (or with what each is loaded. I hate ending sentences with prepositions).

IMG_20180629_123816.jpg

Siam Diesel, SooKee and ErikNK like this.