1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Customs at BKK

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vaping Newbies' started by Nabashalam, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Nabashalam
    Buzzed

Nabashalam Thread Starter Long in the Tooth...

Hey fellow Vapers! I joined this group 3 years ago when I visited Chiang Mai for a month. I went back to the USA and then went to Baguio PI a year later and married a lovely Thai woman I had met in Thailand after skyping for a year. Now we are moving back to Thailand for good. I had no problem bring in my vape 3 years ago but now my wife is harping on me not to bring my gear in to Thailand and that the laws have been changed. She thinks I will be arrested in BKK and fines and locked up for a year. It's hard to find any 2021 news about this and I had forgotten I was a member here! I don't plan on vaping in public. Will I have any problems, bringing in one kit and some juice in my carry on, from customs at BKK? I need HELP! My wife is driving up the wall! It's good to be back here! Any info or advise would be appreciated! Thanks Folks!

2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

:welcome:

You may find the following threads helpful...since your wife speaks Thai, she can help you locate gear/juice from the thriving (underground) local vape scene after you’re settled. We have some folks on here that sell juice (see Thai Vaping Vendors Info section). Big By-Pass sells some gear and there are a few local sites for that as well.

Thailand Vapers FAQ's - READ THIS FIRST (There are NO B&M Vape Shops) | Thailand Vapers

Vaping in Thailand | Thailand Vapers

I presume you're going to be going through the 14-day quarantine program...your luggage will get x-rayed on arrival (based on very recent reports). I haven't traveled through the BKK Airport for over a year so I can't tell you how things are now with regard to Thai Customs & their searching of bags. They used to be pretty lax but we heard they were going to x-ray bags prior to dumping them on the luggage belts (looking for undeclared luxury goods) so it seems that has come to pass...and then Covid-19 shut everything down. You might consider bringing a small amount of juice & a mod or 2...but break it all down (carry the batteries with you...I travel with a flashlight that takes 18650 batteries) and scatter it throughout your luggage & toiletry kit.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

debatedude likes this.
  3. Nabashalam
    Buzzed

Hypothetically speaking, what if if carried a mod in my carry on and they found it. What would or could they do? Last time I had the mod and tank in the original box and they just looked at it and put it back in my nap sack. No problem! I also am in a wheelchair with an assistant and I always fly through security and customs...

Siam Diesel likes this.
  4. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

Things have changed a lot, I wouldn't risk bringing a mod in, if they found it who knows what they'd do but i wouldn't want to find out.
    Things can still be bought here, Big has some stuff in his shop on here and there are still other Thai vendors around.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  5. Sassenach

Sassenach Member

Hi, Couldn't resist being sympathetic to your 'which way' decision, Sam and V have given sound advise (was surprised but not shocked to hear customs could be x-raying luggage prior to going on the the belts.. scary !!) but even so and if like myself you just simply can't resist to try with something, then the most basic and minimum of kit to at least get you started when you arrive would be my choice.. breaking it down and scattering (as suggested) has for me also proved to work well.. so with a little but inventive thought the kit head and body broken down to bits and separated into different obscure but unhidden places in the check-in luggage.. I used a very small see through plastic box and put a just few bits with nail clipper, file, couple of small fishing floats, needle and thread, buttons etc. and the broken down Head to fill (my attempt to be a little inventive).. but not the glass, I put separate in my see through toiletries and shaver bag (maybe not so inventive.. !!). The Liquid I transferred to a suitable and new container that was then fitted with a label carefully taken from a shampoo or similar and suitable 'type to fit' bottle label (labels from plastic containers tend to be easy to remove without damage but its essential you secure the top and seal with sellotape). battery was in my onboard backpack in a section with my phone keys and charger.. and the Body was in a small cloth bag and in an easy get to near the zipper point of my check-in luggage.. I simply then transferred to my trouser back pocket once and immediately taken from the conveyor belt.. and I was then good to go through Customs clearance with bag check but without a body search (not sure at they now search your body and that would be a real sticky point, but as yet its never happened to me).. once here I was then helped by and through the forum to easily obtain what I needed with Liquid.. and so far I'm surviving with my coils kit.. I do hope your decision proves for you the right one... All the best.

debatedude and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

They'd have to have serious suspicions before they went to the trouble of a body search, I believe...particularly during the current pandemic. When I was traveling frequently, I'd put my mod in my carry-on and transfer to my pocket in the bathroom immediately after clearing Immigration and before collecting my bags. My tanks & juice were in my toiletry bag...but this was before the advent of "x-ray on arrival". It's still not clear whether there's a human being at those (new) scanners or whether they're using AI & a computer program to flag suspicious checked bags (the ostensible reason given for doing this at the end of 2019 was to look for undeclared luxury goods, not vape products). Anecdotal evidence from someone who just went through Swampy recently is that all of his bags were x-rayed on arrival (probably when passing through Customs)...don't know if that includes the carry-on but to play it safe, I'd presume that it does. If I were to do it now, I'd probably skip the mod/tanks and only travel with an AIO & a few pods. YMMV ;)

Worst case is they could refuse you entry...more likely is that you'd have to pay a fine or get a one-time pass as a tourist. As I noted above, the safest place is on your person...unlikely they will search you or your wheel chair unless they're really suspicious.

Do let us know how it went after you're settled.
    :vaping: :vaping:

Sassenach and debatedude like this.
  7. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

The last time I traveled to Thailand, I ordered gear and juice in advance and had it waiting for me. Big and serenity really helped me out with that too. Perhaps that's an option for you

Sassenach and Siam Diesel like this.
  8. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

Do you have to pass through x ray machines though? That would be the thing if you had to empty you your pockets...

debatedude likes this.
  9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

AFAIK, you don't have to pass through an x-ray machine upon arrival. When this was reported in 2019, they wanted to scan incoming checked baggage to try to catch unreported luxury items since TH Customs had missed their targets for collection of duty.

debatedude likes this.
  10. Nabashalam
    Buzzed

The problem with ordering it before I get there is that I have to stay in a ASQ quarantine Hotel for 15 days so that wont work. I am a real nic addict. I use 30mg salt nic. So I need my fix as soon as I get off that flight. I even stealth vaped on 6 different transcontinental flights no problem. But I have not come into Thailand since 2017.
    Siam Diesel said "I'd put my mod in my carry-on and transfer to my pocket in the bathroom immediately after clearing Immigration and before collecting my bags." So immigration did not search your carry on? I am confused here. You go through Immigration before customs? Why not just put it in your pocket before deboarding the plane?

11. debatedude
    No Mood

OK, so here's what you get BEFORE coming to Thailand:

1. A Nemesis-style mech mod (or anything similar). You'll spend about $20 US on it.
    nemesis.jpg

2. A 510 flashlight head. These are available on Fasttech. WaBAM! They turn the mech mod into a working tactical flashlight (credit to @Siam Diesel for this tip)
    head.jpg
    3. Gotta power everything. The best batteries (IMO) for mech mods are the LG HB6 18650 batteries
    LG-HB6-Pink-18650-australia.jpg

4. You'll need a good portable charger. I recommend the Xtar VC2 charger
    xtar-master-vc2-plus-battery-charger-a20282-750x930.jpg

The mech you choose can be used with any 510 dripper or tank. The HB6 batteries have enough amps and volts to satisfy even a hardcore vaper like me. Once you're out of quarantine, you can shop for gear that's more appropriate to your vaping habits. This setup, though, will get you through customs and keep you going during quarantine.

Oh yeah...the flight. I use Nicorette 4 mg nicotine gum. It really helps.

Siam Diesel and Sassenach like this.
  12. Sassenach

Sassenach Member

Never thought to try with a nic gum for the flight, always managed to fight it through, but because approx 23hrs door to door is my journey time I usually choose my flight path with a part way stop to break-up the on board time, stretch my legs and then find if not smoke hut a discrete corner, piece together (head tip and base) a basic pen type (Kangertech EVOD2) for my travels gathered from different parts of my backpack, usually gathered ready before I get off the flight and pop in my pocket. So the gum may help for the times on board but the usual stress of travel/time means I will I guess always carry something.
    Siam has given me (maybe the thread starter - Nabashalam my wish to think on too), with the AIO plus a few pods as an alternative for a travel with (and Nabashalamn should know that it can be put in your pocket after de-boarding/before Immigration, - Siam's going to the bathroom to do it following Immigration is I'm sure just the convenient point she chooses before the all important Customs point)..

Siam Diesel and debatedude like this.
  13. debatedude
    No Mood

It's a lifesaver! Gets be through the 16 hour stretch between Shanghai and San Fransisco. Plus keeps me going through customs and immigration, as SFO is non-smoking.
    She's a he. Siam is male :pleasure:

Sassenach and Siam Diesel like this.
  14. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

When you are inbound to Thailand, you pass through Immigration before collecting your luggage & clearing Customs. TH Immigration does not search any luggage. You could put it in your pocket before leaving the plane but given the close proximity of others (prying eyes), it's my preference to do this in a bathroom stall after Immigration.
    I suspect that once you are in the ASQ hotel, you can receive packages...plenty of gear/juice available locally. Since you know where you'll be staying for the quarantine, you could order in advance ("hold for arrival on xx Mar 2021") or after you check-in. I would suggest calling the hotel and letting them know you're expecting a package or 2 if you order before arriving. ;)
    These also work well but they are not available in Thailand
    Nicotine Inhaler | NICORETTE® Inhalator | NICORETTE®
    I am, indeed. :D

Sassenach and debatedude like this.
  15. Nabashalam
    Buzzed

Thanks for all the GREAT feedback! Now should I order juice etc within Thailand or outside of it to be delivered to my ASQ? Are you allowed to give me site info where I can order from here?

Many thanks to allyall! ;)