1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Cooling down your RDA

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by PCVKermit, May 28, 2017.

1. PCVKermit

PCVKermit Thread Starter Member

I've had my fist RDA for a couple months now it's a Recoil clone, I get a lot of joy from taking big lung hits and blowing out clouds but man, sucker gets hot. My only mod now is the Artery Nugget, tiny little thing, it looks super dope with the recoil on it and hits awesome but seriously maybe five rips at 40 watts bad boy gets hot enough to burn your hand.
    Anybody have tips build strategies that keep the tank a little cooler? Also is there an RDA out there known for staying cool?

2. Nakhonsisean

Nakhonsisean Well-Known Member

What coils are you using and what does it ohm out at? I tend to build simple clapton or round wire coils to about 0.5 ohms. Use a Velocity V2 and a Mad Hatter V2 mostly, they get warm but not burning hot.

3. PCVKermit

PCVKermit Thread Starter Member

Currently I have 2 pre-built alien wire coils they read .45 ohms. As far as the recoil goes you think maybe an increase in ohms will cool it down? I have yet to just try a simple round wire wrap.

4. Nakhonsisean

Nakhonsisean Well-Known Member

I like a relatively cool vape and have found lower ohms just make things too hot for me. I generally aim to be hitting my RDAs between 4v and 4.5v. Above that things start to get too hot for me. In the Velocity V2 I'm running Kanthal 24g, 3 mm id, 10 wrap pair of coils coming out at a 0.53 ohms on a Smok R200. Very nice flavour, good cloud production and the thing never gets too hot running at 4.3 volts. I always look at the volts when running RDAs rather than watts.

farangmick likes this.
  5. farangmick
    Worried

farangmick Well-Known Member

Glad I saw this thread. Got my first dripper two days ago. The Troll V2. Keen to get started, and with no coils to hand, I stuck in a couple that came with it. My normal vape is anything with a Nautilus coil at 10-12 watts, so 0.3 ohms at 50 watts blew my head off. Clouds might have been good, but I don't care about them, and was too busy coughing to notice.
    Only use my own coils in future. @Nakhonsisean 's seem a good starting point.

6. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

Increase the air flow. More air = cooler vape and a cooler RDA. You can also use a chuff tip or a wide bore drip tip. Both of those will allow heat to dissipate faster.

I have one set-up that's 0.2 ohms at 85 watts. Man, what a hit! On my mechs I generally run 0.25 ohms (I go through a lot of batteries in a day). I like a warm vape.

Siam Diesel and farangmick like this.
  7. farangmick
    Worried

farangmick Well-Known Member

I'll have to build up gradually. The only other two vapers round here puff on starter kits c. 2013. When they try my Kabukis with air screw removed, they have the same coughing fit that I have with The Troll.
    Dripping will be a niche thing for me. I couldn't chain vape 16 hours a day on one.

8. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

The airflow is directly hitting the coils? I'll assume it is. The Recoil has a decent amount of airflow, and it's non-adjustable.

I don't often take 5 whacks in short succession, but vaping 12mg at 70w, I don't feel the need to :D

Apart from adjusting coil position, or switching coils to something more conservative, there's not much you can do. I guess it's only a matter of time after chain vaping that an RDA would get ridiculously hot. 5 whacks appears to be the Recoils limit.

Are these 10-second whacks with 2-second exhales in between? If so, there's your answer :)

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    debatedude and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. tecart
    Mellow

tecart Active Member

Using a goon RDA with big dual coils and it doesn't really get hot like other RDA not sure why maybe because the great connection system.