1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Coils with high ohms

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by David in Bangkok, Jan 9, 2015.

1. David in Bangkok

David in Bangkok Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I have seen sub-1.0 ohms and coils going up to 3.0 ohms but never over it. I ask because I'm terrible at making coils and the coil I DID make was like 3.6 ohms or something in that range (but didn't work because of the space given anyways).
    I was wondering if that would be a poor performing coil or not in general?

2. BuzzSamui
    Cloud_9

BuzzSamui Well-Known Member

PattsVaper likes this.
  3. Talen
    Doh

Talen Well-Known Member

try 6 wraps of 28 gauge on a 3mm screwdriver...should be 1.4 ohms. If you want more try 9 wraps of 28 gauge on a 2mm which should be about 1.6 ohms

PattsVaper likes this.
  4. David in Bangkok

Is it normal for the ohms to jump around?

I am using one that was wrapped for me, it's usually at 2.6 but sometimes it jumps up above 3.0 I really don't know why.

5. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

I'm sure it isn't tighten properly, did you tighten the top nut by hand or with pliers?

6. flem
    Relaxed

flem Vaping for 5 years

Yea it's a lose connection with the nut on the positive post Give it an extra turn around the post and then tighten the nut .

for me coils around the 1-1,4ohm mark works like a treat on allmost anything. Kanthal is so cheap, so just make coils to they are there as you like them

and use this

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

7. Vacob

Vacob Member

dont worry david just practice more n it will come out well , practice it on a 3mm drill bit first n slowly move down in diameter size, u will get the hang soon and u will feel like this
    [​IMG]

or u can use this as some of the buddies here did Help - New coiler amazing. | Page 3 | Thailand Vapers coil like a boss

David in Bangkok likes this.
  8. David in Bangkok

Is there anything available here?

I have been having issues with my Paypal. Actually with my US CC with online purchases as well, so I've been lazy and I've just been using the Thai one. I should fix it, but then I think about how dangerous buying 20 of these cheap items are and I decide to just stick with not being able to order so much :)

I've heard of many coiler tools, are there other ones (maybe from a vendor here?) that are at least helpful?

9. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

Or you could go to Fasttech and type in the search line "pre wraped coil" and pick from a variety of gage/ohm/length/tight coil or loose coil/with or without wick.
    Price is very reasonable, between $2-$4 for a pack of 50.

I keep some around for those days when I feel like I'm all thumbs!
    :lost it:(Which is often)
    :pleasure:
    **Updated**
    Coil tools also available at fasttech. You can buy from them using some Thailand bank ATM cards. Or set up a Thailand paypal account. If your account was set up in the US it will not work.

10. Talen
    Doh

Talen Well-Known Member

A coiler tool won't really help you make coils any better...just practice on a micro screwdriver, drill bit, toothpick... you will get the hang of it pretty fast.

11. kevin bangkok

kevin bangkok Well-Known Member

Buy the kuro coiler a child could do it, judging by the video you don"t even have to heat the wire!!
    brilliant, can"t keep saying AMAZING, MY INITIAL response to the viewing.

12. Anbessa
    Thinking

Anbessa Come&Go Member

Still need to mount the coil and wick it without damaging the coils or work out hot spots and prevent shortages.

13. David in Bangkok

Wow seems to be differing opinions as to the usefulness of the coil. Since I almost installed my first coil (I think I need to fix it) at 2.5ohms installed imperfectly, I think I can install a pre-wrapped coil with just a little more practice.
    I'm going to keep practicing wrapping the coil as well as try a coil tool. I don't have major tremors, but I have it some and it definitely makes this kind of job more difficult although I think I can still do it regardless, I just need to fix the install, and wrapping the coil shouldn't really be a problem, I think just holding it steady in that small space is difficult.

14. kevin bangkok

kevin bangkok Well-Known Member

well! sum num na, Ibelieve you started with the Veritas, even Busardi, did not try a vertical coil probaly
    the hardest rda on the market,you get the coil right you"r 85% there,but the veritas,for a begin,? if you started
    on a kayfun you would be in vapers heaven now,I started on protank 3 with dual coils,very tight but pleased as punch
    on my completion!!! David buy the kuro it sounds like you are here to stay,"atty"s are our toys"I love them!!

15. David in Bangkok

What's sum num na? I never learned that one, but my Thai is really pretty poor.

I used a pre-made coil that a member made for me, and installed it horizontally. I didn't even install it that well.

I have a protank 3, I didn't even know you could build on it. I mean the Veritas has fairly little space, I'm not sure i could handle something that small. That sounds a lot more difficult than the Veritas so you must be pretty good at wrapping coils haha.

I will try out some coiling tools and see if that doesn't help. It's not that I hate the clearomizers so much, but the Veritas just out-performs everything else by a lot and it is cheaper as well. I will definitely have to try a rebuildable tank atomizer, but I am pretty worried that I'm never going to use these expensive Kanger and Aspire coils afterwards :computer_1: