1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Cleaning TC coils and other questions

Discussion in 'Temperature Control board Talk' started by Longtail1, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Thread Starter Vaping Troll

Not been following TC talk much lately as I am not getting the results I want and have left it alone for a while. As a result I am out of date on a couple of things and would love if someone can update me.

Considering the dangers involved with with dry burning the materials used for TC coils, has there been a way found to effectively clean them or is it really a new build each time?

Ni200, titanium and I think SS can be used have I missed any?

I heard rumors a while ago about kanthal TC. Never got off the ground?

Thanks for any help you can give

2. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Innokin have supposedly cracked it but it's gone awful quiet in recent weeks.

I haven't used TC for some time, but I will again, soon. I think I'll just recoil every few days or so.

3. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Dicodes wire can also be used...think it's called Resistherm or generically, NiFe30.

Longtail1 likes this.
  4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

5. Longtail1
    Amused

My problem is that if I don't dry burn every 5-6 ml I start to taste the gunk on the coils in harsh hits. So basically I just dry burn everything every day. If I go to all TC , which is what I would prefer to do, I will then be recoiling everyday as well. That's a lot of wire.

Might have to play with vodka and soft toothbrushes to see what happens to the coils
    **Updated**
    Took me long enough to read the title. Lol

I'll go look now. Cheers.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  6. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Wow, every 5-6 ml? What kinda juice you running? If you've been using contact coils with kanthal or nichrome you'll want to go with spaced coils using a TC setup. Side benefit is they gunk up less. Another observation is that after reading once of someone claiming their Ti-1 coils stayed cleaner longer, I'm beginning to think it may be true.

Spaced coils are a definite need with Ni200 but I've read where some have good results using contact coils with Ti-1. Not sure about other wire types....if I try any of those, I'll do the research on them. I have a feeling though that SS may be just fine with contact coils but I could be wrong. Anyway, for both Ni200 and Ti-1 I'm only going to do spaced coils.

Vodka and a very very soft toothbrush may work pretty well. Let us know!

7. Longtail1
    Amused

Yeah same here. Ni200 spaced coils. Haven't run more than 5 ml through this TC coil yet so I'm not sure how much I can get to cape before I change coils. The 5 or so ml is on a kanthal micro coil. One flavor is only 3ml. I'm sure it's not the juice as such as I have had similar with most of my juices. Just that as soon as I get a small amount of gunk I can start to taste it and have to dry burn to get the taste away. I think I am just sensitive to it.

As soon as I set up another ni200 coil and get it dirty I will try the cleaning thingy but I have a feeling that the ni200 is going to be too soft and the coil may get damaged. Trial and error though

Edit: Double post deleted. /SD

8. Scratchy
    Lurking

With any future wire purchase, you may want to consider a move to either Ti-1 or tempered Ni200 which are not as soft as regular Ni200. The typical gauges used with Ti-1 is 26 ga and 24 ga so they should hold up very nicely.

Siam Diesel and Longtail1 like this.
  9. Longtail1
    Amused

The thicker gauges sound real nice to me. 28g ni200 is all I have atm as it was early days for me and TC.

Ti1 is titanium isn't it? That's about double the resistance of nickel, not sure though. BUT I was reading that contact coils are acceptable with this on ECF, linked by SD earlier. Still got a lot to read so I guess that might change. Could be interesting and something I need to look for in the useable wires on any new mods. The thicker gauges will definitely help me getting the density of vapori just cannot find with ni200.

Ok. Time to start sourcing Ti1. Lol

Siam Diesel likes this.
  10. Scratchy
    Lurking

Just be sure to clean it. Easier to work with than Ni200 and yes, less wraps needed cuz of higher resistance. Get both 24 and 26 ga

Siam Diesel likes this.
  11. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

I've been shocked at how much longer it takes to gunk up a Ti coil to be honest. I've been going through about 15ml-20ml a day since monday between 2 tanks coiled with Ti and just now am beginning to see a tiny bit of build up. I will probably recoil them tomorrow. So that's approx. 50ml each. Crazy considering I would dry burn and rewick daily as well with Kanthal.

12. Longtail1
    Amused

I have got to give this a go then. Now to find a mod that takes Ti. Lol

13. Scratchy
    Lurking

Pretty much any TC mod can run Ti coils. The difference is having native support where the mods set temperature accurately reflects the temp being targeted versus needing to set a temperature in Ni200 mode that can be anywhere from say 160 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit lower depending on mod chipset. Take a look here: Cool - Use different wire in TC mode, even the mod has no such settings | Thailand Vapers

Now one thing to clarify is that in the wire wizard chart first select Titanium 1 as the wire type then over to the right side click the Ni200 equiv. button. Again the Steam Engine calculations are good for Evolve chipset mods, nit Yihi or some other chipset types. For those and others, use the calculator that @Dieter. discovered and shared with us in the linked thread.

14. Longtail1
    Amused

Thanks scratchy.

I have been doing some research already and know of the offsets for different wires. I'll use those until I can find a mod that supports titanium, once I get some.

Good links.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  15. Scratchy
    Lurking

You may find that you like the vape better in Ni mode with some mods compared to their native Ti mode. There must be some challenges in getting the TCR curves working well with some of these chipsets as Ni mode can sometimes provide a more consistent vape with the way power is being applied. Despite some grumblings from Yihi SX350J crowd, I find the latest beta firmware to work pretty well. The best native support goes to the DNA200. The IPVD2's Ti support is quite good as well.

Siam Diesel likes this.