1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Betrayal of Apple

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vapers Lounge' started by -V-, Jan 2, 2016.

1. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Been using my Macbook Pro and iPhone 4 now for years
    Still love my Macbook Pro but was getting bored and fed up with the old iPhone 4

Decided not to carry on with the iPhone and decided today to get the Samsung Galaxy S6 in Black.
    It's the first Android phone i've had, and after a few hours of setting it up i've got the same things I used on my iPhone set up on the S6.
    Android isn't far off the same as Apple, and there's so much you can do with Android too.
    Got BBC radio player on it which is kinda cool.
    I've drained down the battery fully now to give it a full charge up.

Oh, the wife got one in White too :(

2. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Take a look at xda developers forums, if you can be bothered.

The Rev and -V- like this.
  3. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Will do, but i'm not really into tech Forums :)

4. Rick O-Shea

Neither am I really, but when I get a new phone (Android) I'll take a look on there for an improved ROM. I prefer to stay a generation behind for this reason. It is possible to open a can of worms though without adequate research.

5. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

I am not an Android fan at all, but a system where there is nothing to customize and tinker is boring.

6. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Open Water Scuva Instructor

Pertinent for me, as considering the same. I have iPhone 4s and 3rd gen iPad, both of which have slowed with each IOS "upgrade" ... A couple of friends have I think Asus smartphones which are android, paid < 5000Thb, rather than 30-40000thb for latest iPhone ... So seriously considering android for my next upgrade ...

The only reason I really have for staying with Apple is iTunes Match, so I might get 128Gb iPod touch and go all non-Apple apart from that.

Bottom line for me, Apple do make good stuff, but I simply can't afford it anymore. And whilst in days gone by Apple stuff was a no brainer, I think android may well now be a no brainer, all things considered.

Thanks for posting.
    **Updated**
    PS one other thing I found constantly annoying with Apple stuff is lack of port for SD card, largely it seems in aim to persuade people to buy a higher capacity device.

7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

I had the 4 & 5 series iPhones and now have the 6...best phone I've ever had and the camera is brilliant. A friend of mine had a Samsung and got fed up with it...he switched to the 6S and wondered why he waited so long.

FWIW, when it was time for a new model, I went to the friendly phone guy in Tuk Com and traded in my old one...helped to ease the pain a bit. ;)

8. Rick O-Shea

No surprise there then.

ITunes and the way iPhones handle media is reason alone for never buying another one again. Also the ridiculous prices of accessories: 16GB OTG USB drive 2700B. Same manufacturer for Android, 64GB, faster read/write speeds, 1300B.

The Rev, Scuba Vaper and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

:rolling laugh: :rolling laugh:

Each to his own, I guess. ;)

Scuba Vaper and Rick O-Shea like this.
  10. Scuba Vaper

Forgot to mention the camera on apples are pretty good, I used as my primary camera for a long time, taken 50000+ photos with my iPhone 4s. But now have compact DLSR, which smartphone can't compete with, so hence tending toward android as mostly phone only.

Update: my mrs just broke her huawei android phone, so most likely will buy matching phones today, probably Asus or similar. So, some serendipity in play here, and thanks once again for posting !

@Rick O-Shea - all the other music solutions I didn't like as much as iTunes. iTunes has it's faults for sure, and there are many, but other solutions aren't so integrated. Cost of storage with Apple does piss me off, but we all know why they do it like that...
    **Updated**
    PS, can anyone recommend which version of Android to buy on the phone, I'm fairly clueless with android and will leave for shops in an hour or so ?

Siam Diesel likes this.
  11. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

I'd not buy Lollypooop but Marshmallow seems ok. KK is also ok but I guess most will perceive it as outdated.
    Look for 2 Gb RAM. Android does not run too well on 1 Gb after you load all your stuff onto it

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  12. Scuba Vaper

@peter-k much appreciated, leaving shortly for tech mall ...
    **Updated**
    Update - got a quad core v5.0 lollipop (says upgradable to v6) 2gb RAM Asus for 6000thb, similar size to iPhone 6s plus, might go back tomorrow and buy myself one ...
    **Updated**
    PS Samsung Galaxys looked great, but way outside my budget.

13. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

As a long time Android user, my advice is to stick with Samsung. I have owned almost every brand of phone (including Apple). At first you may pay more for a Samsung but it always is the first in line for any tweaking you want to do and the latest official software updates as well. The reliability and upgrade capabilities that are available for Samsung devices will end up saving you money in the long run. You can generally use a Samsung for much longer than other Android phones. I speak from experience. I have wasted a lot of money over the years trying to save money and end up replacing the phone much sooner than I should have. No matter what you are buying don't settle for less than 2GB RAM and 16GB internal storage with SD card slot available. This is one place where Samsung dropped the ball in my opinion as the S6 does not have a SD slot. So if you are getting the S6 make sure to get the 32 or 64 GB model. As far as longevity my personal bests are an Apple iPhone 4 that is still working to this day. Not worth using but still works fine. Also have a Samsung S4 that is still going strong after a fall from the motorbike at 50 kph. The screen is cracked and I decided to upgrade instead of paying to have the screen replaced. If you don't mind everything looking like a mosaic, it is perfectly fine.

14. Mack
    Relaxed

Mack Well-Known Member

Thats the same reason Ive never touched a mac product. Ive had my music collection in mp3 since 1993 and like an open format. I was working in encoding and encryption at the time so was in early. My movie collection and TV went the same way. My first smartphones where HTC with there own os and then later windows. After losing a 600gbp phone in pattaya I bought my first cheep(300gbp) samsung with android and couldnt believe how much faster it was than the phone I lost, not to mention all the free apps. Im a big android fan and run my TV on an android box too. Ive never understood why smart TVs dont have android pre installed and why all the big manufactures keep reinventing the wheel.
    **Updated**
    I agree 100% on samsung droping the ball, my old S3 mini needs upgrading and I do want a larger screen so my only choice with replaceable battery and SD card is the note4. Prices are coming down for these though so maybe a good choice at 17490 from lazada.

15. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Very happy with my iPhone 6 and iPad (whatever model number/iteration) including media usage, management, etc. Last phone was an iPhone 4 and it held up very well until iOS slowed it down more than I liked but by then it had been in use for 2 and a half years or slightly longer. Meanwhile I have quite often seen friends and employees android devices having issues or needing to be replaced within a decently shorter time period.

Apple's by no means perfect, I have some grumbles and don't like the initial cost but they do make very high quality devices IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siam Diesel likes this.