1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Anyone have Fiber?

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vapers Lounge' started by Rick O-Shea, Sep 26, 2015.

1. jorakae

jorakae Well-Known Member

Would you guys with those 200MB connections mind running a speed test to a US or EU server? I'm mostly interested in the latency/ping. I play an online MMRTS game that is extremely time sensitive down to the millisecond. I just ran a speed test to New York City on AIS Fibre in Bangkok and my latency was 309ms. This makes some tasks pretty much impossible.

2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Ping to the Speedtest server in Seattle, WA was 230ms.

jorakae likes this.
  3. jorakae

Thank you, I just checked to Seattle and pretty much spot on the same, 226ms. I was hoping they might have dropped in some new international circuits but looks like its still the same as it has been for years. Sigh...

Siam Diesel likes this.
  4. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

Actually i did that from Udonthani in the post just above your own. The test server in Germany is actually an EU server :) But ok, i just did it again, but in stead of a 11 ms latency it's now 9ms latency :
    mustshow.png

Siam Diesel likes this.
  5. jorakae

What kind of witchcraft are you practicing there in Udonthani?

Distance to Germany by air: 8,687,000 meters
    Speed of light: 299,792,458 m/s

If there was a fiber optic cable hung in the air with a direct path between Thailand and Germany with no other traffic it should take about 0.02897 seconds. How are you getting 0.009 seconds?

Dieter. and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

Uff, that is going over my head for now lol. It's 3bb you have to ask that question.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

@Dieter. - I think your software is selecting a local Thailand server to perform the test...that's the only way you can get such speed & latency. The minute you use a server outside of Thailand, speeds drop dramatically.

Dieter. likes this.
  8. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

I do the following :
    1. open my chrome browser and select a new page
    2. In the address window I use the following Google sometimes also Google to make sure I am not on Google Thailand.
    3. Make a google search for Chip speedtest.
    4. click on the link from the result.
    5. The speedtest then starts automatic.

I don't know, what i could do differently .
    **Updated**
    I tried again and this time I use a different server in Germany the German telecom and yes, the speed and latency dropped dramatically to download : 8.65 Mb, upload : 13.95 and latency 216 Ms. Looks that the German Chip server is not reliable or measure inside Thailand without letting me know. OK @Siam Diesel and @jorakae I learned something new today, not to trust the Chip computer Magazine's speedtest. uff.

jorakae and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

I just tried using that speedtest site and got the following. My German isn't very good but it's using a BKK server (circled in red). I changed the server to Frankfurt (serverauswahl) and the speed dropped/latency increased (which is to be expected). And, yes, I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to computers. ;)

Edit: pics removed...too much info on there. :)

Dieter. likes this.
  10. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

:rolling laugh: :rolling laugh:
    Computers are like women...can't live with 'em & can't live without 'em!
    :very good:

Dieter. likes this.
  11. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

In this case you are better than me. I assumed that the server where in Germany by default, never thought ogf changing the server. Thanks.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  12. jorakae

Sorry to burst the bubble there. If you have things that are very response dependent this becomes a very big issue. Raw speed is often used just to the local servers and for advertising. Once you ask them about the latency to any outside server that you would actually use, it becomes a lot less impressive. Thailand's network design is pretty trash for the most part, but they have designed it the way they have so that the government can control and censor it easily. There is only one entry/exit point in Thailand and all international traffic is funneled through that one point.

The yellow cheese looking points are the international gateways. You can see Thailand has only one. America has loads of them, this is only showing the very west coast where CAT has their own managed circuits.

internet-map.gif

No idea why there are 2 images, but don't know how to fix it.

Edit: the first image was hot-linked. Deleted it for you /SD

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2017
    Dieter. and Siam Diesel like this.
  13. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea Thread Starter iStick Fanboy

For those using TOT they now offer 500/100 for 1200B.

Siam Diesel likes this.