1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Amazon/Amazon Prime ( non-vaping related )

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vapers Lounge' started by Yong, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Yong

Yong Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with buying things from Amazon? How long does it take and does it get hit by customs(Tax)?

Going to get some stuff( Not vape related ) from there as its way cheaper than sourcing locally.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

2. etlava
    Psychedelic

etlava Well-Known Member

Bought a new motor starter, solenoid relay and an after market clean air intake from a single vendor (USA) in Amazon this January. The vendor was kind enough to under valued the invoice and described as used / rebuilt motorcycle parts. Took 18 days to reach TH. But TH customs (cheang watthana) withheld the parcel. Went there to explain and shown the old lady officer photos of my bike to ensure her that it's for personal usage. Still, I was tax 1,290 THB. :grin:

After I have paid everything and about to leave. The old lady officer said "Nong kha! Do you know why your parcel was withheld? It's because you over under valued it!!. Your postage is more expensive than the declared value!" and she gave me an evil grin.

So, if you are planning to order from Amazon or any other sites. Never over under valued it.

farangmick, Yong, Longtail1 and 2 others like this.
  3. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

Interesting feedback @etlava :) I too had a similar experience (but not from Amazon).

You should indeed never undervalued (it's kind of cheating ^^) your order. However, a lot of time when you do, you will avoid taxes. Taxes can be ridiculously high in Thailand for some items. I paid 50 euros of taxes for a 90 euros valued package few months ago. In the package were Lego box, coffee caps and candies... :surprised:

Usually if the parcels is heavy and have a low declared value, they will be suspicious and withheld it. If the box is small and light, they don't bother most of the time.

If the parcel is undervalued, I think you won't be "punished" if they catch you. You can blame it on the vendor, so you will pay the usual taxes. But you also have 50% chance that it won't get withheld too.. Evil's choice ^^

4. etlava
    Psychedelic

etlava Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct @Tibo mine was way too heavy and big for that value. 555.. Lesson learned. Never put all heavy items in one parcel. Cheating?? No way....I'm going to repeat that again. I have confessed my sin and repent.

:devilish:

5. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

You're right, it's not cheating, it's more like a little game lol

I always undervalue my parcels. It is not morally a good thing but I consider getting screwed enough on a daily basis regarding daily life stuff that I deserve my little evil revenge :) Customs' employees get paid the same so I am not hurting anybody, at least the way I see it ^^

farangmick, Yong and etlava like this.
  6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Packages valued at less than THB 1,000 are allowed in without any Customs duties...it's in the TH Postal regulations.
    :wink:

Jay, farangmick, Konvict and 2 others like this.
  7. etlava
    Psychedelic

etlava Well-Known Member

@Siam Diesel yup... After our previous conversation about delivery method. I had a few successful entries. But this time it raised suspicious as it was too heavy and big for less than THB 1,000. 555.... Dumb.. Dumb... And also maybe due to the shapes of the parts as well.

farangmick, Yong and Siam Diesel like this.
  8. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet and pay a bit of customs duties... ;)

9. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

Yes. Shipping time to Thailand is about two weeks (if its coming from Amazon. They do handle orders coming out of other vendors.)

Shipping/handling cost is very high. They have some deal with Thailand to prepay the tax which is why the S&H cost is so high. So you wont have your order held for ransom by Thai customs. This is explained on the Amazon website.

To check what the S&H cost will be, you can put the item in the cart and fill in your address. It should show you the cost before you approve the order.
    **Updated**
    Also, some electronic items I've tried to order Amazon refuses to ship to Thailand. Probably due to trade agreements I guess.

Siam Diesel, etlava and Yong like this.
  10. Yong

Thank you guys for the advice!

So should i choose expedited or priority?

I'm not getting some big stuff like @etlava's motorbike stuff. Hahaha.

I'm just getting some razor blades and grooming stuff. Lol.
    Some stuff are hard to find around here.

11. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Hehehe...that would depend on how long your beard is and how fast you need the stuff! ;)

12. etlava
    Psychedelic

etlava Well-Known Member

I'm sorry mate. I forgot which was chosen. That was my first and only shopping experience with it. Have you tried searching for your stuff from eBay, IMO eBay is better to deal with.

Yong likes this.
  13. Yong

Yup. Just signed up on ebay and looking around for my stuff.

Will see which is the cheaper option

etlava likes this.
  14. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

On ebay, look for vendors in China. Shipping is usually free (but slow). Shipping cost from US and other vendors is too high and some wont even ship to Thailand.

I'm not sure if this site has razors but may have some things your looking for - www.iherb.com

I've used them before without problem and reasonable shipping cost. Time was around 2-3 weeks.
    **Updated**
    Yep, try here: Search - razor - iHerb.com

Siam Diesel and Yong like this.
  15. farangmick
    Worried

farangmick Well-Known Member

Ordered a cheap ultrasonic cleaner from China on Ebay. Got an email the following day (8th March) to say it had been dispatched, and it arrived today. A lot quicker than FT, and three quid cheaper.
    When searching Ebay for small things, change the "best match" to "lowest price inc. p&p", or check the free p&p box. Otherwise you get lists of 99p items from the US, with £20 p&p.
    I've just taken about 30 seconds to order a condom for the VTC mini after a small incident with a table and a granite floor.

Yong, etlava and Siam Diesel like this.