1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

36 hours

Discussion in 'The Thailand Quit Smoking Discussion' started by byoung, Jul 7, 2014.

1. byoung
    Cloud_9

byoung Thread Starter Upcountry Vaper

I have been smoking for close to 40 years and most of them at 2 packs a day. I've tried everything there is to quit, but nothing had worked, including a recent attempt with Champix. Recently, a friend told me he was having good success with the E-cigs and said a mutual friend had also made the switch.

So I started researching E-cigs, and after about 1 week decided to give them a try. Then the question was what should I buy. I quickly discovered the options here in Thailand are limited, particularly when you take into consideration the replacement of atomizers/coils. One of the strong candidates was the eGo-C, which I had priced at 3500B. That is less than I spend on L&M cigs in a month, so easy to justify the cost of initial investment. Still I was concerned about spending that much money on something I might not like. Every thing had failed in the past, so why would this be any different? Then I stumbled onto this forum and the Classified/Wanted section, where I found a member wanting to sell the eGo-C kit for 1000B. Now that's a no brainer! After a little difficulty with the new member 5 post rule, I finally connected and the kit was on its way to my home in rural Thailand.

The kit arrived at around 5pm on the 4th of July. The seller was kind enough to include 4 partially used bottles of 12mg juice, so I could get started right away. I reasoned it was also enough juice for me to get an idea if this was going to work. After a bit of tinkering and testing I finally got around to taking my first vape at about 6pm. I should also point out that none of the juices were tobacco, which might have made it more difficult to compare with regular analog smoking. However, by 8pm I had already decided that I would never smoke another cigarette again.

36 hours have passed and I have not changed my mind. If anything I am even more convinced this will work. Interestingly enough, exactly 36 hours after the first vape my juice order arrived and in it are 9 bottles of tobacco flavor, something I've been anxious to try. Now I'm in heaven!

Backing up just a bit, after 24 hours of vaping my smell started to come back. The first thing I noticed was the smell of tobacco on my tooth brush, of all things. After 48 hours I could feel my stamina returning and I generally feel much better. Plus, no more hacking up the nasty phlegm. All I have now is an occasional and mild dry cough. That may sound a bit gross, but I'm sure other smokers can relate. It is such a relief to have the feeling of clear and unrestricted breathing.

I am totally amazed at how easy it has been to make the switch. I literally have no problems with the cravings. To me, any craving is the same as wanting an analog and is quickly relieved with a few vapes. Clearly, having something tactile that is very similar to analog, combined with the immediate nicotine satisfaction, makes this very different from any other option out there.

The only fear I have now is the fear of supply issues. So I am quickly setting up back ups on back ups, so I never have to resort to an analog again.

36 hours into this and I've already started with the upgrades. 2 Aspire BDC Clearomizer CE5 and 2 Aspire BDC Clearomizer vivi nova 3.5ml are on the way, purchased from the same member that sold me the eGo-C. It seems I'm buying up all his hand me downs. :) I'm also looking at a Innokin iTaste VV V3.0, which I'll probably order from Micky tomorrow. And another member has helped me identify a stubby/stealthy battery that I'll use for those times when I want to travel light. I don't know what the path will be after these upgrades, but I DO know it will be one free of analog cigarettes.

I should also mention that this forum, and its community of knowledgeable/helpful members has been instrumental in my successful transition to vaping. Thank you all very much!

2. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for taking the time to post the above.
    I know exactly how you feel.
    It was around 2pm I picked up my first eGo kit from the post office which my mother had sent me from the UK nearly 2 years ago, I had already got some juices online from a few Chinese sites so i was ready.
    Filled up my C4 clearo and stated to vape, and knew from that day on my 30 a day cig habit was sorted, never to smoke again.

Within a few weeks I had upgraded to a VV device and a Viv Nova tank and then just continued upgrading from then on.

I didn't do it as per see to stop smoking but to replace cigs to something which i think we are all hoping is not anywhere near as deadly as the cigs.
    I am not wanting to stop vaping and i could easily see me smoking again if I tried to give up.

I am worried about the future of the import of USA juice, juice in which I have started to love, and if it comes to not being able to get this into the country I do have to sit back and re think things a little.

I've still not given up on my 400 ml from GLV arriving but if it doesn't do so in the next week then who knows the next plan.
    Until then, keep on vaping enjoying this Forum we've all built up together and hope for the best.
    :vaping::vaping:

3. smithereens

smithereens Member

I just love reading stories like this. Congrats! Isn't it great how there is finally a viable alternative for smokers.

4. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

I just wish countries like here would see that and let us get things sent here from overseas without problems....

5. byoung
    Cloud_9

That is one thing I don't worry about, because I can't afford the good stuff. :) I'm a $10 bottle of wine kind of guy. :)

I don't have any experience with it yet, but I am concerned about the cost of shipping items, like a set of batteries that can't be purchased here. The shipping cost might be more than the item purchased. I figure I can just have them shipped to one of several friends that regularly commute between the US and The Land of Denials, so no worries if it isn't something I need right away.

6. ryanmacl

ryanmacl Well-Known Member

You can order pretty much anything you need from FastTech, and shipping is always free. Their prices are usually low enough that you don't really worry if something doesn't make it, unlike buying authentic stuff. I'd be heartbroken if a $300 mod got seized by customs, but I wouldn't be too upset if it was just a $12 atomizer or something.

I'd recommend getting started as soon as you can on rebuildables. In hindsight, I spent more than I would have liked on replacement coils and broken ProTank glass and such. Enjoy your Aspires while you're learning the basics of coiling and wicking on a cheap Kayfun clone. Get yourself a cheap dripper so you can test out juices without having to wash and dry your coils. Definitely get a cheap ohm meter (if you don't get a mod that has a built-in one) so you don't break anything or start a fire. Hopefully you'll get the hang of it and be able to maintain your own stuff before you ever have to worry about picking up a cigarette because you can't find any more coils. Thailand kinda sucks like that.

7. byoung
    Cloud_9

I do plan to learn more about rebuilding coils. At this point, only 3 days into it, that seems like some very advanced stuff. :)

8. ryanmacl

ryanmacl Well-Known Member

If you've were smoking for 40 years, I'm sure you've done plenty of things much more difficult than wrapping a piece of wire around a drill bit, screwing it in, and threading some cotton through it. Rolling your own cigarettes, for example, much more difficult. Don't let the stuff overwhelm you, it may seem like a lot at first, but its all very simple stuff. Just enjoy the ride.

9. Emmess

Emmess Well-Known Member

Pranam Guru ji

10. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

Great post byoung, and congratulations on getting off the analog's!
    :bravo:
    Don't worry too much VM. I just got a 200ml order from GLV today. Ordered it on June 15th, so this one took 22 days to get to me.

(Southern Shine, Deadly Sin, White Zenberry and Mexican Hat Dance now on the steeping shelf.):very good:

11. byoung
    Cloud_9

Well, I've never rolled a cig, but have rolled other things, so I get your point. :) I'm not apposed to the idea, but its just a bit early for me to get my arms around.

- - - Updated - - -

It comes down to a lifestyle choice. If I can maintain an inventory large enough to carry me through a dry spell, I might find that more desirable, compared to a task that appears to be similar to that of fly fishermen making their own lures. :)

12. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

Ah, Brings back memories. I use to love the ritual of rolling one up on a cold morning back in the states.

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

True, it becomes a hobby for some of us. But it doesn't have to be. Do what works for you to keep off the analog's!

13. byoung
    Cloud_9

I do like the analogy of it being a hobby. Frankly, I think even at its most basic level, E-cig usage is very much like a hobby. I remember when I tried smoking a pipe. It too requires a lot more effort, compared to just stuffing a cig in your mouth and lighting up. With an analog cig, you simply toss it when done, but smoking a pipe is a very different story. I see all of that added maintenance as a good detraction.

14. yourauntbob
    Happy

yourauntbob hair club for men member

always great to hear these stories.......... they never get old :bravo:

15. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

Congrats, you'll be a source of inspiration for many