1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

£35 bribe paid at Phuket airport!

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by deadfred197, May 6, 2017.

1. deadfred197
    Grumpy

deadfred197 Thread Starter Member

Hi all. Became a member a few months ago after booking my holiday to Thailand and concerned over the vaping laws. Well we landed 5 hours ago and as we exited customs they decided to scan all our luggage. I had broken down my gear and spread it out but they spotted it! A young man advised me it was illegal to vape in Thailand, to which I showed stunned ignorance. He led me and my luggage back into the hall and took me down a corrider and into a small room with 2 trollies of the crapiest looking gear and hookah pipes and advised me my gear would be confiscated, unless I would like to keep my gear? Of course I said and he said if I paid 1,500BHT I could do this, in a small room with no cameras. I told him I only had sterling and he produced a calculator and agreed to £35, which I paid. Please let this be a warning to all and let anybody you know that this will be my first and last trip to Thailand and I will spend my hard earned money in other more descerning countries around the world!!!

Donkey likes this.
  2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

How much gear did you have with you? Was it in carry-on or checked luggage (or both)?

Sent from my P3 Ti...

3. deadfred197
    Grumpy

Checked luggage Siam. I had a mod, 2 tanks and 400ml of juice. The stealth vape in my pocket wasn't seen. I was concerned about transferring in Doha. Heathrow didn't give a toss but on transferring in Doha there was no second security check, so if I had carried it all on board I may have got away with it as they weren't asking for all the hand luggage to be x-rayed. Who the hell x-rays luggage that has already been checked before u get on the flight after u have landed!

Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

They're looking for expensive items on which to collect duty...you were just unlucky to get caught. As tea money goes, you got off lightly (I know that doesn't help much).

There are other reports on here of people who had to pay much, much more (and some lost their gear, too). It's not a good situation!

Sent from my P3 Ti...

farangmick, deadfred197 and Konvict like this.
  5. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

First time that we heard about this at Phuket Airport, but if you saw two trollies with gear confiscated it has been going on for a longer period of time without us knowing it.

Thailand will never learn how to keep tourists happy during their stay here with things like this going on, but they simply don't care how many tourists they scare away they just think it was a pleasure doing business with you getting some money in their pockets.

6. deadfred197
    Grumpy

Exactly Konvict, first and last time I will visit this country! The gear they showed looked like it had come from a bring and buy sale and I wouldn't have paid 10BHT for the lot but there was a lot of it. I'm now just worried when we leave in 2 weeks.

Fastoche and Konvict like this.
  7. taotoo

taotoo Well-Known Member

I'd try to forget about it and enjoy my holiday, which I'm sure you will!

Siam Diesel likes this.
  8. deadfred197
    Grumpy

I'll try taotoo but do they scan checked luggage at Phuket when u enter the airport or does it just disappear at check in lie it does in London. I'm concerned enough to leave everything I haven't used here, which will cost a bit!

9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

You'll have no problems leaving if my experience (and others) at Swampy is any indication. The security scanners don't work for Customs...they're only interested in making sure that what goes on the plane is safe.

Sent from my P3 Ti...

deadfred197 and Konvict like this.
  10. deadfred197
    Grumpy

Thanks for your reply Siam but I'm a bit confused. When u say security scanners do u mean the walkthrough body scanners, hand luggage scanners or main checked luggage? What would u recommend as the best way of packing my gear? I have a mod with 3 spare 18650, a tank with 3 spare glasses incase of breakages (Wismec Theorum) and an ileaf all in 1 build battery with a small removable tank, plus left over juice?

11. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

I don't think you'd be able to 'carry on' 400 ml of juice though, wouldn't that need to be in your 'checked in luggage' ?

12. deadfred197
    Grumpy

There all in 100ml bottles which is the maximum so OK. Could give some to my wife and 80 year old mother in law so we all end up in the sh*t! ☺

13. -V-
    Cool

So with carry on luggage you can have 4 x 100 ml bottles?
    I thought it was less than 100 ml for any sort of liquid for carry on luggage...

14. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Max per bottle is 100 ml, and everything needs to fit in a 1L plastic baggie...that's my understanding anyway.

Sent from my P3 Ti...

Konvict likes this.
  15. -V-
    Cool

Just checked and yes 100 ml bottles are ok
    Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 19.04.09.png

Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.