1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Zero clone by Yosen First looks...

Discussion in 'Modifications and DIY' started by -V-, Dec 11, 2014.

1. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

So around a month back I got in touch with Yosen direct about the DNA Zero clone.
    Price was agreed with one extra sleeve and it got shipped out.
    Waited a life time but today it arrived.

I knew all about the crap chips on these, but I was more worried about the 510 connection but had been told this was now ok..

So here it is:

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

I like the black sleeve better than the sand blasted one which it comes with as standard

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

So, my one and only plan was all along rip out this chip and Evolv DNA 40 this bad boy....that has yet to happen as I only got it today, and with Christmas and New Year on its way I think this will be a job for after New year...

But nonetheless, let's take a look as the mess inside this mod;

photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

The buttons work by pressing against the screen daughter board.
    The fire button isn't clicky at all, kind of mushy but okish..

The daughter board with the Fire Up and Down buttons only uses 4 wires to the main board, as it will use a common ground.
    This can not be done with the DNA 40 board as it doesn't have a common ground, so it needs 6 wires, 2 from each switch.

The mod is grounded with the OUT (battery - ) onto the body the same as the ZNA i did, but it also has another ground which I think is for the switches.

Then, one wire from the battery positive red, and one wire from the atty black to the board..
    Then there will need to be 6 more wires from the switches.

Two ways, use the daughter board which is there and cut off the traces and then solder up 2 wires to each switch, I took a look and this could be possible:

photo.JPG

Or try to find stand alone switches to fit, need to look more into that.

On a whole there is a lot of room to work in there so easier than the ZNA one I did.

How does it perform you might ask...
    Well kinda shit...lol..
    The chip is a piece of gunk....
    It doesn't remember naff all when taking the battery in and out, so you have to mess around setting your Ws again

At 7 Watts, yes I said 7, the vape from it is just a hard hitting as my Evolv DNA at 16 Watts.....
    The battery level jumps down to half on a full battery when pressing the fire button with a full battery in it..

So I won't be using it as it stands, just going to start stripping it down more over the next few days

It is a fine looking mod and happy to have it
    It's a little heavy with the battery and atty on it, i think a dripper would be cool on it, and once it is DNA 40 then that might be an option for me....

Look out in January for the modding up of it..

Cheers for reading
    V

Frayedmind, Scooby and Talen like this.
  2. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Have you tried it at 30w? Some had an issue where the output was back to front lol

3. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

Looking forward for the upgrade then :)

Despite the poor chip, how's the box itself feels ? Solid ?

Cause a DNA board in a crappy box won't make it so much better.

Thanks for the complete review, you are always on the edge of the new stuff !

Sent from the future

4. -V-
    Cool

No, I don't want to damage my coils ..
    lol, I might take a look then tomorrow...do a test..

Yes, solid, I didn't really like the sandblasted skin, also there is a bit of a gap around the body at the top to the skin, but just a little imperfection...
    It's solid for sure though...
    Oh it will so much... :wink: this is by no means a crappy box, but I feel it was toooo hyped up though for what it actually is..

Kind of a first look to be honest..
    Full review once I've modded it to DNA 40...

5. -V-
    Cool

Oh, looking at the buttons on the mod there is a small chance that the onboard buttons on the DNA 40 would actually work...
    I don't have the DNA 40 chip so can't match up the sizes, but for sure i think the Up and Down buttons are in the correct position, the Fire button isn't though, but that didn't stop me with the ZNA one...lol.

The thing with the above is the DNA 40 board would need to be made secure as the pushing against the buttons it can't move... so it would need to be fixed some how....
    That is a possibility as the DNA 40 has mounting rails on the board too..
    Something to see about when I get the new DNA chip...

6. -V-
    Cool

Ok, took out the daughter board today, the one which is for the switches.
    I was going to re use the switches and re wire them but looking at it I might as well just get 3 ne switches the same and then wire them, then just super glue them to the piece of board which the old ones are sat on...

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

Scooby likes this.
  7. Scooby

Scooby Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review -V-, can't believe you got your already. Mine is still .....lost.

Can't wait till you get your new chip and rebuild this guy. Don't forget to take a lot of pics.

I have also seen that they released a SX 35w Zero version on Fasttech....whats next?

8. -V-
    Cool

Oh dear...sorry to hear that..

Due to the dates this month with New Year coming It will be in January, but going to start work on the switches as soon as....

Yes I bought it then cancelled it...lol..
    For me just one thing, DNA 40 Temperature control boards....it is the future for sure....

9. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

-V- how big is that DNA 40 board? LxW?

Did I understand it correct that this board doesn't contain the switches and the LED screen ( or whatever they call it)...

I am sure they are also for sale if you want to start from scratch with a project...where should you look for parts if you want to look for all these parts?

Like you, I am not MacGyver, but sometimes if I have time I like to take things apart and try to fix them...but different from you I think my success rate is point something!:rolling laugh:

10. -V-
    Cool

Same as the DNA 30 boards if the side rails are snipped off, it has side rails for mounting if you need them, if not just snip them off and it's the same size as the DAN 30 chip
    Screen Shot 2557-12-13 at 11.06.03 PM.png

It has the same Fire Up Down switch build on the board yes, and it has the screen too....
    Next year they will be selling a version which is called the 'Big board dna 40' has a bigger screen look and also the screen will be able to be taken off and put back on, it's like a clip on clip off screen....helps when installing the chip as many times the chip is in and out during installation which can damage the screen is not careful..

You have to find different site for different things, i am sure that a lot of the stuff like the wire, switches and so on can be found in Thailand, but I go the lazy route and find them online from the Uk or USA..
    It's just a matter of searching, asking on modding Forums for vaping and reading and googling....

I'm enjoying it and probably would be doing a lot more and done a lot more by now if i didn't have a full on family to take care of....
    So far the ZNA worked out well...
    And i am starting to get the Zero ready for the change...
    The DNA 40 board will be the last thing to put in ...I am getting the Zero stripped out, cleaned up and doing the daughter board switches first....

11. -V-
    Cool

This is how the Zero clone is looking right now, getting things ready slowly for the DNA 40 board swap

photo.JPG

12. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Already like it better without the Chinese chip...

13. Scooby

Scooby Well-Known Member

Thanks V for the pics...big help. Are the 510 connector, wires, battery connectors easy to get to? Would you be able to be replaced them if the need arise?

@Siam Diesel, one of the main reasons why I wanted this mod was to do just this. The chip is crap but the main housing and everything else is sound.

14. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

That's a good reason for buying one, I agree. I'm waiting to see how the modding works for V before deciding if I follow suit (because there's precious little chance of getting a real one).

15. -V-
    Cool

Just the 2 wires, one from the 510 and one from the battery, kinda tight though.
    For me one good thing Yosen did do is put in 2 good wires for there, better than the ZNA wires...
    So for me they are staying as they are, no need to replace...