1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Worldwide Ban of Vapor Devices in Checked Baggage

Discussion in 'E-News' started by ThaiGermanSamui, Jun 18, 2015.

1. ThaiGermanSamui

ThaiGermanSamui Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Personal vapor devices will no longer be allowed in baggage when traveling. The U.N.`s Montreal based International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) has announced a ban on allowing vape devices inside checked baggage (yes that includes your box mods).

ICAO which sets guidelines and airline safety standards for 191 member states made the decision based on the potential fire hazard of exploding batteries.

Olumuyiwa Benard Aliu, president of the ICAO Council is quoted saying “Several incidents have been reported involving e-cigarette heating elements being accidentally activated and resulting in fires in checked baggage.”

The new regulations are not out of left field, transportation safety groups like the FAA have been pushing similar bans for months now. Stricter rules for public transportation is not just limited to airlines either. Britain’s Southern Railways and other train companies have also announced bans on vaping during travel. Effective as of July 26th the usage of vapor devices onboard will be prohibited across 2,300 train routes and 150 stations.

To be fair, the amended law is not banning the transportation of vapor products. ICAO`s new rules prohibit checking them into your baggage. Instead requiring you to carry your device onboard in the cabin providing quick access in case of a problem. The new laws also include prohibiting the charging of vape devices in flight, and of course in cabin usage.

While vapers may be quick to go on the defensive and see this as another regulation placed on our freedom to vape. The new rules are not extreme, and they do make sense. While avid vapers may know proper battery maintenance, unfortunately many casual vapers and e-cig users do not. There have been repeated incidents of batteries exploding or catching fire due to user error.

Therefore the new laws should not be viewed as regulation but a safety precaution in order to avoid a potential dangerous incident. that could threaten lives.

SOURCE : Worldwide Ban of Vapor Devices in Checked Baggage - vapeaboutit.com

2. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Been expecting something similar for a while. Can't really argue with the decision if I am being honest.

Tibo and yourauntbob like this.
  3. Mack
    Relaxed

Mack Well-Known Member

Only thing is, I might need extra baggage allowance if I have to add all my mods to my laptop and phone etc. lol.

Tibo likes this.
  4. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

How about mods with no batteries in them though
    Checked in mods but your 18650 batteries in your hand luggage...?

ThaiGermanSamui likes this.
  5. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Only problem is traveling to places like SG...risk of seizure is too great. V's solution may work for such places...

Sent from my P3 Ti...

Konvict likes this.
  6. -V-
    Cool

Me neither, last thing I'd want is to be on a plane high up in the sky for some cheap crap Chinese eGo battery in a checked in bag to vent/explode and start a fire, for the the plane to be in flames and fall out of the sky and we all die.....

PattsVaper and Rick O-Shea like this.
  7. Mack
    Relaxed

Mack Well-Known Member

Ill still be taking apart and checking in, its not going to be to long before places like SG start cracking down.

8. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

No I guess we all have seen that coming to many morons out there, and to much crap. I think it's no problem, to take the batteries out of the mods and just place the batteries in your hand luggage. But with the trend of nearly all the new mods coming with build in batteries, that will be a problem then. Hand luggage only.

9. ThaiGermanSamui

ThaiGermanSamui Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I dont' have a problem with that rules , it's just safe for all of us ..

Tibo and yourauntbob like this.
  10. Mack
    Relaxed

Mack Well-Known Member

Its worth noting thought that wherever you have your battery's when travailing they need to be correctly stored, boxes or silicone sleeves, whatever it takes to ensure they cant short out. They are small bombs whatever way you look at it.

Dieter. likes this.
  11. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

Yes good to mention it. I have some plastic boxes for my batteries, they are really cheap, so not a big deal but very important too.

12. -V-
    Cool

Yes from the moment I started using replaceable batteries I got those twin 18650 battery boxes too keep them in, and also got many free when buying 2 batteries

Sent from my IPV 4 Mod

PattsVaper likes this.
  13. shoo-D
    No Mood

shoo-D Well-Known Member

so that means it would be better to bring a mech mod and the batteries separately and in a secure box rather than for example an istick 50 with inbuild batteries?

14. Anbessa
    Thinking

Anbessa Come&Go Member

That is another reason why i prefer mod's with changeable batteries. While traveling, the box mod's, uncoiled RDA's and juice go in the checked luggage and batteries go in a box in the carry-on. So far no issue with an fully set up ipv2 in the men "purse" neither. This rule is nothing but common sense IMO and as i see it is not changeing the way i travel with my gear.

15. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

It's a good thing. More safety for everything and keeps the hatters satisfied.

For us as you already said, not so much of an issue, we can separate the battery from the mod most of the time if needed.

I just hope the smoke detectors in the toilet won't be change to more sensible ones though ^^

Siam Diesel likes this.