1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Vapor Shark DNA 30

Discussion in 'Vaping Reviews' started by ryanmacl, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Emmess

Emmess Well-Known Member

Yep, ordered a 3.1 clone already. But because of songkran will be shipped next Thursday, so hopefully have it by Friday. :)

2. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

Where from?

3. Emmess

Emmess Well-Known Member

A web site I found while fiddling around Google for vaping accessories vendors in Thailand. The guy is called Blacksmoke.

4. ryanmacl

ryanmacl Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Funny, Todd is reviewing it and his has the wrong casing, it has the old DNA 20 style one. I've only heard of one other person accidentally getting the wrong casing, and Vapor Shark changed it out for them immediately. I can't see any comments and I'm on my iPhone, so if someone wants to send him a message and let him know maybe he'll update his review.

5. Pipcon
    Cool

Pipcon Well-Known Member

Mr. Ryanmacl,

As a long-term user of this device, would you be willing to give a further brief summary of its longevity and, more importantly, your opinion as to what you believe/calculate its average battery life in relation to using it with a Russian 91% type atomizer with a 1.4 ohm standard coil?

Thanks.

6. ryanmacl

I've been meaning to get around to this.

I've been using the Vaporshark virtually all day every day since I've had it, and I'm pretty pleased with it. Overall, it has held up well. A bit of paint has chipped off near the 510 connection from the Kayfun fill screws, all the black paint has worn off the firing button, and there are a few chips on it from where I put it in my pocket with my keys or my phone. Other than that, it functions perfectly, and lasts me from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep on a single charge, vaping at 8.5-9.5 watts on one of my Kayfuns. It takes around 4 hours from empty to full charge if you aren't vaping on it, considerably longer if you are vaping on it. I take care of the Micro-USB connector, but there is no play in it so far, still solid. Very comfortable in your hand, I love the form factor.

As far as the 1.4 ohm coil goes, that would put you at around 10-12 watts depending on the battery charge since the DNA doesn't have buck circuitry. You would get most of the day without having to recharge. Since it is regulated, I just wrap my coils around 2.3 ohms (30AWG, 9 wraps on 2mm bit) so I have a wider range of adjustment.

Hope that helps.

7. BadWingman

BadWingman Newbie

Do you mind expanding on this a bit Mr Ryan as whist I understand electronics I'm yet to to understand how a higher ohm coil effects the vaping experience on a regulated mod. More mass stays hotter for longer?

8. ryanmacl

Since it doesn't have buck circuitry, only boost, if you wrap a 1.4 ohm coil the device won't be able to fire lower than around 12 watts on a full charge. If you increase the resistance, you will be able to set it lower.

9. Pipcon
    Cool

Pipcon Well-Known Member

Thanks Ryan. Much appreciated. It helps a great deal.

I've been mulling over those Hana clones - but to me they're a bit big for what I'm after.

:very good:

10. smithereens

smithereens Member

FYI, I saw a youtube video yesterday that compared the hana clone with the authentic. It seemed to indicate that the clone chip was inferior and that the authentic hit harder. I also read 2 people reply on the ecig forums that their vaporshark seemed to hit harder as well. Maybe the clone doesn't actually achieve the full 30 watts, especially on lower ohm coils. Figured I'd pass the info along in case it helps with your decision. Either way, I can confirm that the clone still does vape really nicely.

11. ryanmacl

I did a side-by-side at Big's shop the other day, and I could taste no difference whatsoever between the two, on my own Kayfun. The DNA clone chip seems to work fine to me, but yeah, the Hana clone is like 4 times the size of the Vaporshark. I wouldn't doubt that there are some QC issues between clone boards, but I don't think it's an epidemic. The clone actually fired my .3 ohm Magma that I brought in, so it can't be all bad, right? I mean at least until the wires start melting.

12. -V-
    Cool

:surprised:

13. ryanmacl

IMG_7198.JPG

Just a heads up for anyone who has a Vaporshark, I just got two replacement batteries in the mail today, ordered from RCIS Hobby here in Bangkok. 330 Baht for 2 batteries shipped EMS. These are the same battery that is already in the VS, with solder tabs already on the battery, so replacement will take just as long as the soldering iron needs to heat up.

ÍÒÃì«ÔÊ ÎͺºÕé : Turnigy nano-tech 1200mah 1S 15C Round Lipo [Powered by Weloveshopping.com]

I've been using my VS all day every day for since I got it, pretty much charging only at night. Until around two weeks ago, it would last me from first thing in the morning when I wake up until right when I went to sleep. For the past two weeks, the battery has started to die out at around 8-10pm, so I've been charging it up while I'm in the car or at my desk. Unfortunately, I'm a little spoiled now and want my all-day charge back. So, an estimated 95 full charge cycles before the battery starts to show some wear isn't too bad. Don't get me wrong, the battery still has a ton of life left in it, but for 150 baht I don't mind changing it out every 3 months for those extra few hours of juice.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
  14. -V-
    Cool

Great find mate :very good:

15. Pipcon
    Cool

Pipcon Well-Known Member

Yes Ryan, very good find. I think that will come in real handy.

This arrived on 18th July - order placed 2nd July.
    Even after waiting whilst it ventured on this round the world trip - it eventually got here - duty free.
    Labeled as Mini Power Bank - value USD20.

Pretty impressed so far. Vaping over the weekend (which means it is pretty much stuck in my gob most of the time) battery lasted from about 08:00 until about 21:00.
    2 ohm coil at around 9-10 watts varying.

I imagine on a normal work day it will last all day and night.

I finally emailed them when I saw it was in Ireland......
    World Trip.jpg

Vaporshark1.jpg

VS 1.jpg VS 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014