1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Update on the "exploding" Cuboid mod in Denmark.

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by Dieter., Jan 30, 2016.

1. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Thread Starter Secret Member

I'm sure that at least @jon, @Siam Diesel @Rick O-Shea and others have been waiting for the update of my mention of ta cuboid mod "explode in Denmark. Now the Danish shop "NuMedDamp", who sold the mod together with 2 VTC4 batteries together with Joyetech came with the following statement in Denmark yesterday. I have translated it in Google and corrected it a little afterwards.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    NuMedDamp.dk has added four new images.
    18 hours · Copenhagen, Denmark
    Joyetech Cuboid and Battery Safety.

As some of you have seen on the social media, there has been showcased images where a user of Joyetech Cuboid MOD unfortunately, has been in an accident.
    The talk has gone on various scenarios and conjecture, however, we, the importer and Joyetech have chosen not to make a statement before the mod had been examined.

It has not been possible for Joyetech to restore the episode, even with the maximum load over a longer period.

We can confirm that the MOD has been sold from our shop, along with 2 Sony VTC4 batteries. What specifically happened to cause the accident, however, has proven to be difficult to ascertain because one battery is gone. Yet we know, that the 2 sold Sony VTC4 batteries where not in the at the time of the accident.

The modt has been separated and the following can be found:
    · Battery 1 has disappeared and can not be located by the user.
    · Battery 2 was still in the mod and has been taken out. This turns out to be the brand "Imren" that have not been sold from numeddamp.dk. It has not been possible to view the model number.

The Cuboid mod has no damage to the main board / circuit boards. There probably is no failurefrom the mod itself.

It is therefore most likely that the accident was due to the used batteries; either by misuse or failure of the batteries.

This case illustrates an important aspect in this type of mods: Battery Safety.

We advise daily customers to be aware of their batteries and this advice we would like to pass on to everyone. It is important these products are treated with care and follow advice from the professional e-cigarette businesses.
    You can even follow some of the following advice:
    · Is there damage to the wrapper / battery packaging? Discard the battery.
    · Do not use two different batteries in your MOD.
    · Check if your battery is compatible with your MOD (Ask your. Your dealer)
    · Does your MOD 2 or more batteries - Charge the same time, using them fixed (Couples)
    · If in doubt - ask your dealer.

It is important we as vapers show respect for these products and use them correctly, to prevent more accidents. Electronic MOD provides more security, but improper use of batteries can not be curbed - This is for the user to maintain vigilance.

You are always welcome to visit our store and show us your batteries and tell their story, where we will advise you of these suits your MOD / use.

We hope the above illustrates this case and answer the conjecture that has flourished. Of course we are sad the viral effect this incident has had, but hope that such events will no longer occur.

------------------------------End of story--------------------------------------------------------------
    The User who now is recovered and back to work, had changed his explanation a few times, in the danish vaper forums on fb. He is an "experienced" user who vaped for 5 years. Now he said, that he believed the VTC4 where in the mod at the time of the accident but that he now is certain he used 2 IMREN batteries 3200 map. (Whatever that means ?

He also claims that no one in the shop told him that he only could use the same kind of batteries in the mod, and that he had to change the batteries, since one battery used more power than the other. Or with other words the batteries discharge differently. He thought that it should be so easy that even a 90 year old could find out how to use the mod. So for me now there is no doubt in my mind, that it's just another user error. He also stated that the 2 VTC where empty, so therefore he replaced them with the 2 imren, he had, and when he then used the fire button, the accident happened.

Neilly, Emmess, peter-k and 4 others like this.
  2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the update @Dieter. There's no substitute for battery safety!!

3. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Imrens are decent batteries, but still overpriced rewraps with exaggerated specs.

@Scratchy - Stay safe :D

4. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Thread Starter Secret Member

Sorry I forgot to mention, that the user used a low subohm build at the time of the accident, so I'm sure that the batteries where not powerful enough.

5. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

"Look at me mum; 200 WAARTZ!"

6. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Open Water Scuva Instructor

Might be prudent for mod manufacturers to put a list of recommended batteries. Like I said on another thread, one page I found said that eVic Mini recommended battery is Sony VTC4.

At least manufacturers would be able to cover their arses, and vaping community wouldn't have to suffer as a result of the uninformed harming themselves.

farangmick, Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  7. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

Good idea and most manufacturers clearly state to use high drain 20 AMP batteries but it wouldn't have helped in this case. The shop even went as far as selling him the correct batteries. It didn't stop him from putting in some unknown combination of unknown batteries.

Dieter., Siam Diesel and Scuba Vaper like this.
  8. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Open Water Scuva Instructor

The story will be spun about how unsafe vaping is, when they wouldn't get away with it if the guy had put the wrong fuel in his car and it blew up ... Grrrr ...

So the real story is one of "user error" most likely, rather than anything vaping being unsafe.

9. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

Just tell me when the time has come that you changed your opinion that we all needs safety bags.

By then my continued battery warnings are long forgotten. It can not be they squeeze 25 or 30 A out of these items.

10. Neilly
    Lurking

Neilly Flavour Chaser

Thanks @Dieter. ...mine is due tomorrow and am glad it wasn't a failure of the mod itself [​IMG]

Dieter. and Siam Diesel like this.
  11. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

Th mod itself has a repution for sticking buttons. Again the painting problem, take care in case you ordered a painted one.

12. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

As another update to this post. Independent sources have confirmed that the Cuboid does contain a quality balance charger. I still recommend using an external charger of course, but the charging circuit on this board was probably not related to whatever failure occurred. Conjecture, as any electronic part from any manufacturer has the capability to fail at any time, but most likely battery issues were to blame.

farangmick likes this.
  13. flem
    Relaxed

flem Vaping for 5 years

I have a Cuboid and have had no probs what so ever. Some vapers dont really know what they are dealing with and go for cheap batteries to high powered mods and sub ohm coils. I think that the Danish vaper did just that.
    When I buy a mod that have 18650 batteries I do this, because I can then change the batteries when they need a recharge, so even the mod have a balance charger it takes way to long to charge the batteries that way.
    With all the new mods hitting the market there is bound to be some accidents, because some people just want to be on the hype and dont read about ohm law and other important things regarding these power full toys, before using them.

Neilly and farangmick like this.