1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Newbie Wire Questions

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vaping Newbies' started by JohnKalasin, Jan 17, 2016.

1. JohnKalasin
    No Mood

JohnKalasin Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Ok people, what is different from Nicrome,Stainless to AWG and clapton and twisted wire..
    Could someone please take the time to tell me what different from a-z.. Am I the only one whom wonders about this?

2. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Nichrome, stainless, ni200, kanthal are made from different compounds and are used depending on preference/requirements.
    AWG refers to "American wire gauge" which is basically the diameter of the wire.
    Clapton, twisted etc. are just different styles of wire. For example: twisted would be 2 or wire wires twisted together. Clapton is similar, but is essentially one wire (of a smaller gauge) wrapped around another.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    etlava, Emmess, Siam Diesel and 2 others like this.
  3. Moog
    No Mood

Moog Well-Known Member

4. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

Ti and SS are the best. The fast ramp up of Ti is really a great bonus. Use it at 25 - 35 W in TC. SS wants low wattage only to give clean flavour.

Overall it has to be SS, even Ti is still a little better tastewise. SS is reasonable to work with, neutral in taste, and works well both in TC and Power Mode. Downside, it may deshape when pre-heating the new coil, and thin wire sizes are soft, thus coil deshaping too easy when inserting the wick.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    etlava and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. JohnKalasin
    No Mood

JohnKalasin Thread Starter Well-Known Member

So say if I twisted a kanthal 26g, made a four raps coil on 2.4 ID. Would That coil been on 1 ohm?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ6.6 using Tapatalk

6. Moog
    No Mood

Moog Well-Known Member

7. peter-k
    Fine

Anything less than 5 wraps does not give much taste, IMO.

SymphonyInBlack and Donkey like this.
  8. jon
    Mellow

jon Well-Known Member

2 strand twisted like that would be around 0.14ohm I believe.

I prefer to use Vape tool on my phone.

etlava, Loki and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Open Water Scuva Instructor

The calculators work great as suggested above.

Wire isn't expensive from big/e-cig, figure roughly what sizes you want - buy and then DIY ... I also bought a 150THB coil tool which ensures ID is correct ... And borrow from my electronics toolbox for snips pliers etc ... Nail clippers from seven eleven work great for accurate snipping.

For a-z try google "different kinds of vape wire" or similar :)

Kanthal and nichrome been working fine for me, as yet not grown two heads or third testicle ... But couldn't comment on long term effects of metals in coils, don't know if anyone could scientifically ...
    **Updated**
    Ps thanks @peter-k, I'm gonna try make higher number of wraps on my next coils, I reckon your reasoning sound, because must have something to do with the surface area of wire available to provide heat to juice :)

etlava, Donkey and Siam Diesel like this.
  10. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Unless you wanted for dual use TC or Power modes, for purely TC vaping, my recommendation is to go with Ti1. SS may be nice and while I have admittedly never tried it, it can also pose problems with mods jumping out of TC mode and switching into power mode and inaccurate/erratic temp control. Ti1 is more widely supported and most of the chipsets out there that do, work very well with it (Joyetech/Wismec not that great but improving).

If I go to any SS wire, I am tempted to 430 or 340

Siam Diesel likes this.
  11. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

Have to agree with this. I do use SS but it can be temperamental, particularly if not cleaned often enough. I have read that the ohms/temp chan ge is not that great and that is why there are some problems with using it in TC. Great in power mode though. I generally use Ti in TC mode now, and use SS instead of Kanthal for power mode.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  12. Eric Infite
    Devilish

Eric Infite Member

I personally prefer to use Clapton & Kantal. Don't like Ti as it's quite a hassle to prep the wire to coil. Can't get SS over here, if not would be trying out SS.

13. peter-k
    Fine

I heard about that but it didn't do on my eVic Mini.

But this is actually the beauty, can be used in both modes. Set the Power mode to the wattage required and if it jumps out of TC you'll be right. I use it in TCR however, no problems that way. Of course not too many devices support TCR.

NB, 316L runs best at low wattages both in power mode and in TC. First I tried operating it at my usual 30 W in TC but that cooked the flavour. It's audible right away.

Scratchy likes this.
  14. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Correction to a typo for the SS wire types I am interested in...second one is 304.

Shouldn't the TC function be preventing that by regulating power output to meet your set temp? Maybe it's a problem with the chipset/mod with SS? Except for the wackiness with the VTC Mini where a previously good TCR value had my temps sky high after a battery change and atty cleanup, I haven't ever really come close to any cooked flavors and that's with wattage settings sometimes above 50 W. For my Ti and Ni200 use I wiuld have to crank the temp setting up to do that. Of course my definition of cooked flavors and yours could be different. :)

I wouldn't ever want jumping out of TC, even if the wattage setting made the vape OK. Strictly a TC guy and I dont want to be fiddling with getting it back into TC and staying there.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  15. peter-k
    Fine

Yes it all should, theoretically.

Set at 30 W in TC with my SS coil I can hear very clearly boiling / sparkling noises, a bit similar as if there was no wicking. Set at 12 - 20 W (depending on the coils ohm) all is fine.

Since I am aware of this behaviour I test the W required by using my SS coil in power mode, vape, then copy that "good" value into my TCR and use it as a starting point. Final setting is not far off. I do not know if that is the character of SS, or my SS316L, or an issue related to the eVic Mini chipset. It works however great in both TC and in TCR, as long as I do not set it to high wattages. Saves energy.

My eVic mini actually vapes even better in SS mode than in Ti mode. no need to increase the temperature as in Ti, it vapes at regular temps in SS (or in TCR).

The only negative is the coil may deshape terribly after the first heat pulse. So a bit of pre-pulsing is a must.

Siam Diesel and Scratchy like this.