1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

wicking ni200 spaced coils

Discussion in 'Temperature Control board Talk' started by Longtail1, May 25, 2015.

1. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Back to the topic at hand...

Lightning Vapes has now come out with tempered Ni200 wire...it's supposed to have the "feel and consistency" of Kanthal A1 and is much easier to work with than annealed Ni200 wire. Here's the link: Tempered Ni200 Pure Nickel Wire | Lightning Vapes

Scratchy likes this.
  2. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Thread Starter Vaping Troll

No problem here scratchy. More than happy to be corrected. Tbh I had only heard about the defective chips when in TC mode. Long time ago to. Wasn't aware there were good and bad floating around. Happy to be wrong about such a sexy mod.

Scratchy and Siam Diesel like this.
  3. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Well-Known Member

4. Longtail1
    Amused

O.4mm if is a touch small for me. Hope that was a misprint

5. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

I think that's the diameter of the Ni200 wire...equates to 26 gauge. FT doesn't clearly state the ID of the coil unfortunately but with a depth of 3.6mm, it's probably ~3mm ID.
    :vaping: :vaping:

6. Longtail1
    Amused

I was just out for a bit and had a lightbulb moment for exactly the same thing. Lmao.

I worry about my brain atm. Lll

Siam Diesel likes this.
  7. flem
    Relaxed

flem Vaping for 5 years

I am also going to try with this Nickel. I am getting a evic vt one of these days and have ordered some tempered Nickel wire 0.20. which I am going to use on my delta 2 and kanger subtank mini.
    When I read this tread I get the impression that there is a certain way to wick these coils made of nickel is that right?

8. Longtail1
    Amused

Not really. It's just the way that suits you. A 0.2 gauge is a fine wire in kanthal and in nickel it is easily manipulated. So when you wick it can move the wraps around quite easily. I have settled on twisting the wick a little tight and then reversing that after it has passed through the coil.

9. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Anyone tried twisting Kanthal and Ni200 yet? My drill packed up so I haven't bothered.

10. Longtail1
    Amused

Nah. Can't say I ever got on with twisted wire. Improvements didn't outweigh the effort. Lol

11. ckapp
    Amused

ckapp Smile!

I did when I still had a Kanger mod. Worked nicely. 1 strand of 28g Kanthal and 1 strand of 28g Ni200. Haven't bothered with Kanthal since upgrading to temp control mods though... Actually, I really like twisted wire. Tried braiding a few times, but didn't have the coordination for it or a torch to do the heat and stretch thing.

Seems there's more juice room/available surface area in a triple or even double twist single coil. I just went and bought the cheapest keyless chuck drill I could find (about $28.00USD) and carry it with me in my bicycle case when flying. I'd still be using twisted wire until I figured out how to dual coil my Smok TF-R1. Happy, happy...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  12. Vaping Kitty
    Relaxed

Vaping Kitty Vape on!

twisted wire is very easy to make even without a drill. you just have to hold 2 end with pliers and attach a weight other other ends and spin it.

ckapp likes this.
  13. ckapp
    Amused

ckapp Smile!

Yeah, that's slick! I didn't think of that one and I did it all the time with my finger spools for diving. Dang...

But ya know, there's that irrefutable "guy thing" wired into my system that has a ferocious magnetic pull, like a black hole or an energetic vortex... it's called The Tool Department at the local Home Pro, et al. Endlessly fascinating - all those machines and wires and buttons and knobs and blades and bits; oh I could go on and on... :)

Siam Diesel likes this.
  14. Vaping Kitty
    Relaxed

Vaping Kitty Vape on!

you can also buy one of these for on the way, they are small and cheap and can be used to twist wire. It's a milk mixer. just have to cut off the long pin and bend it to make a hook.
    [​IMG]

Siam Diesel likes this.
  15. ckapp
    Amused

ckapp Smile!

I tried that. I was in Mr. DIY in MY looking for a cheap solution to twisting wire. I had the exact same idea. The unit couldn't have cost more than $5.00. Bought some batteries and did just what you said: Broke off the mixer head, made a hook and gave it a whirl (no pun intended). The one I got did not have enough torque (twisting power) to do the job.

Maybe a better quality one than what I found would cut it. Ask to see if you can check to see if the one you're interested in buying works first. Use your fingers to put some resistance on the shaft and see if it's protection circuit shuts it off easily. If it does stop, tell 'em it's not strong enough for what you need and put it back on the shelf.

Siam Diesel likes this.