1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Why isn't the Nautilus working for me?

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by Baz, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Baz
    Notworthy

Baz Thread Starter Active Member

Hi guys, long time no see. Still getting on and reading posts from time to time as I still have a lot to learn. Trip to LOS back in May went off without a hitch. Got my gear and juice through customs no worries but did get some leakage from the one ET-S tank I had juice in due to change in cabin pressure but that was a newbie mistake and a good lesson to learn. Didn’t flaunt the vape in public and kept a low-ish profile out and about so all good. Managed some stealthy vapes in one B&B I stayed at though. In the bathroom with the shower exhaust fan on and no worries.

Anyway, looking for some help with information on the Aspire Nautilus tank. I reckon SD would be the one to jump in here as I know how passionate he is with this particular tank. If it helps at all, here’s a quick rundown of my journey so far.

Started off with an Aspire 1300mah ego battery topped with ET-S tanks vaping 70/30 juice and doing MTL.

Then got an Eleaf Basic with those 2ml magnetic tanks and 0.75ohm coils vaping 50/50 juice and still mainly MTL but found myself eventually progressing to DL. Still use this as my take to work piece of kit.

Got a Joyetech AIO as an “every now and then” vape. Using 0.5ohm coils and vaping 50/50 juice and now almost exclusively DL.

Then stepped up to a Coolfire 4 Plus 70W mod about 2 weeks ago. After a little online research I decided on a CUBIS Sub Ohm 4ml tank and an Aspire Nautilus 5ml tank. The CUBIS “spit back saga” experienced by so many was a huge problem to begin with but I solved it by finding my sweet spot at 22W and simply changing the drip tip to a longer one. You might laugh but all I did was put a longer tip on and problem gone. How easy a fix was that? I’m actually vaping on the thing right now. A nice blend of Vista Wild Berry, Cinnamon Sugar and Menthol.

Anyway onto my query with the Nautilus. We all know it has 1.5 and 1.8 coils but I just can’t seem to get enough of a throat hit using this bad boy. I have to suck on the thing so freakin’ hard and for so freakin’ long but I’m not getting much throat hit or flavour out of it. Tried ramping up the watts but don’t want to go too far and fry the coils.

Thought I could revitalise the Nautilus by whacking in some 1.2ohm Triton Mini coils (they fit). My thinking was the lower ohms might improve the hit but alas, that didn’t work either.

What do you guys do when vaping on the Nautilus? Do you use the 1.5 and 1.8 coils? If so, are you doing MTL? If so, is that enough for you and do you have to drag real hard? Or is simply a case of different strokes for different folks? Any ideas on what’s happening here? Is it just me? Have I just progressed past MTL or what? Knowing that throat hit is affected to a large degree by the PG level, could it possibly be that I’m vaping on 50/50 instead of 70/30 or 80/20 say?

I’m a bit disappointed that the Nautilus isn’t doing it for me. Got it because of the 5ml capacity and rave reviews. Plus the fact that “naughty moderators” like SD use it a lot and are pleased with it. The thing looks so nice and I’m a huge fan of the stainless sleeve and especially the tip. This tank has an old school look some may say but I love it. Interested in hearing some feedback if some of you can spare the time. I’m not feeling confident about the outcome and think this bad boy will end up in my vape cabinet unless I “donate” it to someone wanting to get off the icky sticks or if Aspire start making sub ohm coils for it.

OK, that’s about all for the time being. Thanks guys!

@ SD – mate, you might be interested to know that the “longer tip” I put on the CUBIS to fix the spit back issue was actually the tip from the Nautilus. At least that’s been a help. Cheers.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  2. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

The Aspire Nautilus is a real MTL atty.

If you like a lot of clouds, hot vape or DL this will not be the tank for you.

I use the 1.8 coils and use 12mg juices and vape around 11 Watts which all works out to get a great flavor and enough vapor. Whatever I do to try to find a better one for me it doesn't seem to work, so I have 8 of them at the moment and threw 2 away after two years of great service only because I accidentally dropped them, but they are going to be replaced in December.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    farangmick, Baz and Siam Diesel like this.
  3. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Well-Known Member

Personally,I agree with your prognosis of Nautilus tanks, in that they work but are an effort to get any sort of decent vapour.
    I can, however, recommend the Aspire Nautilus X, this comes with 1.5 and 1.8 Ohm coils and, strangely the 1.8 Ohm coil is the best-- they will last at least 3-4 weeks and give out a pretty decent vapour.
    If you can get one, give it a try.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Baz, Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

I used to travel with one of those...wrap it in a tissue, put it in a plastic bag & turn it upside down (I kept mine in my shirt pocket) during takeoff & landing. It shouldn't leak. ;) Now, I travel with an Aio (1.0 ohm coils) and it is brilliant...never had any leaking problems.

It's strictly a MTL tank, not even suitable for restricted DL vaping. I use 1.8 ohm coils at 12 watts (12 mg nic) and don't pull on it at all...I let the vapor come to me. I used to need/want the throat hit but over time, it's become all about the flavor. I don't even look for throat hit any longer. If you like menthol, you might try adding a bit (10-20%) to your juice...that should give you a decent throat hit...or up the nic content...that'll do it as well.

The Aspire metal sleeve reduces the volume to 3ml, in case you were wondering! :D

Don't hold your breath...but if they make a clapton for the Triton Mini, you may want to give that a try. You may get a bit more flavor.

Glad that's worked for you...I use Ti drip tips from Big on my Nautis...maybe a slightly larger bore drip tip would help as well.
    :vaping: :vaping:

Baz and haybilly like this.
  5. haybilly
    Paranoid

Definitely agree about an AIO on flights, rarely leaks and certainly not a cloud machine but good enough for any Nicotine addict to get from A to B.

Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. Nakhonsisean

Nakhonsisean Well-Known Member

I had the Nautilus, it was one of my first tanks along with the Kanger Aerotank Mega. At the time I always preferred the Kanger. Just found it to be less troublesome and gave me more vapour. Right from the start I was trying to DL. As such, I never got along with the Nautilus and as soon as the Kanger Subtank and Aspire Atlantis II came out I progressed to them and was for the first time really happy with my vape. Maybe your a closet DLer! Maybe you would prefer a slightly restricted DL tank if your getting on with the Cubis and I have found the same solution as you for tanks with spit back, just put a taller drip tip on. I've not had a stock coil tank to vape on now for almost a year, only use RTA/RDAs but did try a friends Melo III which was a very decent vape.

Baz, Siam Diesel and Konvict like this.
  7. Baz
    Notworthy

Thanks to the Konvict, haybilly, Nakhonsisean and of course SD for responding. While I was showering this morning I suddenly realised I hadn’t mentioned that I had the AFC on the Nautilus wide open but assumed you guys sort of knew that. No one mentioned it so maybe you did make that assumption. Thanks for the input guys. Now that I’m basically doing DL, it makes sense that the Nautilus wasn’t doing it for me. Oh well, these things happen I suppose. Another lesson learnt.

Interesting point that SD doesn’t pull on it at but just lets the vapor come to him. I do like the menthol so those two things might be worth trying just to see if it makes a difference. If they do, it might be an alternative for me. I suppose I won’t know until I have a go eh? Don’t think ramping up the nic level will work for me though SD. It’s bad enough I’m vaping 12mg and I don’t really wanna do any higher. Thanks for the suggestion though. I’ll keep an eye out for those Triton Mini claptons as well. You never know.

Nakhonsisean, I think I must definitely be a closet DLer. Might sound funny but DL just feels more natural for me. Maybe I should “come out” and announce to the world … “Baz is a DLer!” Good to hear you solved the spit back with longer tips. Some of the crap I came across from people offering “fixes” was mind boggling. Lots of “experts” out there who actually know nothing. This is why I always head to TV land first. I’m just a little lazy to go down the building my own coils road so stock coils are my thing. They’re cheap enough (well sort of) and hoping they’re gonna get cheaper over time. Might look at the Melo III you mentioned over the weekend. Thanks mate!

OK guys, thanks again for the responses, it all makes sense now. Cheers and talk to all again soon…
    **Updated**
    Just a quickie ... how come my smokefree counter only shows 197 days when it should be over 300? No biggie, just curious seeing as my first year smoke free is fast approaching on Dec 7. Think I might shout the office girls morning tea in celebration! :hello:

Nakhonsisean, haybilly and Konvict like this.
  8. haybilly
    Paranoid

Congrats for 07 December, it's not too important how you Vape as long as you keep away from the cigarettes.

Baz likes this.
  9. hotdogs1

hotdogs1 Well-Known Member

You can drill out the the air holes on the nautilus. It can be difficult to turn the airflow adjuster after.
    The mini triton 1.2 ohm coils are best for more air flow, it has to do with the internal diameter of the coils. There are are mini triton Clapton coils 1.8 ohm. They are not as good as 1.2 standards for air flow.
    I'll try attach a photo of a nautilus mini with the largest air hole drilled out to 1/8 inch from memory.
    Let me know if you want any more info I'm a bit short of time tonight. image.jpeg

Baz likes this.
  10. Baz
    Notworthy

Cheers hotdogs1. Yeah, drilling out the hole sounds interesting. Totally useless at stuff like that but I can get one of the technicians at work to use their skill and finesse to help me out with it. Whenever you have the time mate. I'll pop in from time to time and check for the extra info. Appreciate the advice. Still have the 1.2 triton minis here so might get to use them yet. Cheers!

11. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

@hotdogs1 , where did you buy the black driptip?

It will look great on one of my black mods.

12. hotdogs1

hotdogs1 Well-Known Member

The black drip tip is just a plastic one that came with an Aspire Vivi Nova from memory.
    On the full size Nautilus I drilled out the one side then kept going all the way through and drilled out the other side as well. I used some foam rubber and vice grips to hold the base. You need to remove the coil before you do it. Also a good idea to remove the 510 insulator, pin and Spring.

Konvict likes this.
  13. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

For whatever reason the Nautilus isn't for you; Stop wasting time on it and find something else.

Nakhonsisean likes this.