1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Help Where to get PG/VG

Discussion in 'Thailand DIY Juice Making' started by suudlor, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Phaitoon

Phaitoon Well-Known Member

Since Hong Huat sells SHELL PG, I did a search and found this PDF: Monopropylene glycol Product Stewardship Summary
    Monopropylene glycol [MPG] is just another word for Propylene glycol [PG] Source: FAQ - Propylene Glycol Sector Group

There are two different qualities: Industrial grade and USP grade. Appropriate for cosmetics and personal care products is USP grade only – so I assume that’s what you get at Hong Huat.

Irritating is the following sentence from the Shell document: "Use of MPG USP in tobacco applications and electronic cigarettes is not supported."
    That leaves me quite confused. :chinrub:

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

They're just covering their backsides in case PG turns out to be toxic (or causes you irreparable harm) while vaping it...there would be no legal recourse (they hope) since it's not intended for vaping. ;)

Konvict and Scuba Vaper like this.
  3. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

Not sure about this company but there are usually three grades, Industrial, Food and Pharmaceutical. I have never heard that cosmetics and personal care products have to use USP grade products. As I have said before, not many companies can afford USP certification. I can't imagine that all these lotions, skin care products, etc. are using USP grade chemicals.
    I think the last statement is a legal issue. If you die from vaping their product they can always say "We told you it was not supported". I don't have a clue about the quality of this company's products, so make your own decisions.

Scuba Vaper and suudlor like this.
  4. suudlor

suudlor Thread Starter Active Member

Thank you, Sir.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  5. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Open Water Scuva Instructor

According to monarch chemicals (UK) there are more than 3 grades of glycerine sold by them - Glycerine | Monarch Chemicals UK

They actually list 5 grades, and "High Purity Glycerine" is listed as "it is not suitable for use in a food or pharmaceutical environment". So not convinced with comments about Shell covering their arses, it may be that it's just not suitable for those purposes which would be the most obvious explanation. So Hong huat may not be the best source of glycerine in land of smiles, if I read the above correctly.

The most suitable grade monarch chemicals list seems to be "EP Veg Glycerine, Kosher", details :

"Our EP/BP vegetable glycerine is of the highest possible quality. This product is suitable for all food and pharmaceutical applications. This product meets both EP (European Pharmacopeia) and BP (British Pharmacopeia) certification as well as being Kosher certified and packed under strict food grade standards and conditions."

So, it's that or a similar USP grade of glycerine, that seems is probably best for vaping. With the caveat that we don't yet have any concrete proof that vaping any glycerine of any kind is "safe" ... well apart from the millions of vapers worldwide who reckon it is. Hopefully studies will over time prove what we already think to be true.
    **Updated**
    PS, for the ultra paranoid about getting the best glycerine, glycerine can be made DIY using vegetable (et al) oils and lye/caustic soda. You also get soap as a byproduct for free in the bargain, so happy days !

Phil_1975 likes this.
  6. sethrune.sr

sethrune.sr Active Member

There is a chemical supply store called Union chemical 1986 near Khan sanh (ucs1986.com) they have all kinds of things including equipment, but the Pg and vg is synthetic.

As to the supplier I mentioned earlier, I'd rather not mention here, -input Sun Tzu quote regarding supply line protection- @ Lotta @Darth contact me via email, I've been intending on ordering soon.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  7. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

PG is always synthetic.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  8. Scuba Vaper

From a little research I read an article that (dunno if the source is correct) suggests that synthetic glycerine is FDA approved, and "organic" glycerine may not be. Can anyone confirm this ?

The same article mentioned that MOST glycerine isn't synthetic, because it's a cheap byproduct of soap, biofuel etc production, whereas synthetic glycerine is produced as part of petroleum refinement process, suggestion was that it was more expensive.

suudlor likes this.
  9. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

You are correct that most glycerin is non synthetic. It's too easy to come by as a by-product. Organic gets a little trickier. Technically anything with carbon in it is organic but with that technicality aside the FDA and USP will approve glycerin made completely from plant material. Most often palm fruit. There is an issue with the FDA and glycerin derived from Jatropha plant. Apparently the Jatropha plant has a nasty toxin in it. At the end of the day glycerin is glycerin no matter how it is derived and purity is the concern for vapers. As long as it is USP or equivalent pharmaceutical grade there should be no problem. That we know of yet, anyway. JMO

suudlor and Scuba Vaper like this.
  10. Scuba Vaper

Thanks @Lotta, and yes my research seemed to indicate USP, and EP or BP, for non-yanks ... With "kosher" if you really wanted to be pedantic/certain about it.

Perhaps one of our local vendors will take up the challenge and get certified "good stuff" in, along with growing list of flavours :) Great time for DIY in land of smiles !

suudlor likes this.
  11. sethrune.sr

I source from a local exporter of vegetable glycerin. I have "official" copies of their USP, Thai FDA, Kosher and Msds. The price is more than I'm used to at Chemipan, but there is a definitive difference I've noticed in smell, flavour, colour , texture and how it ages. Made from palm oil as I understand.
    Here's a short spec sheet:
    uploadfromtaptalk1468666182665.jpg

I've currently got flavours from Flavour West, TPA/TPA, Flavour Junkie at home. With more from Flavour art, and some others coming in 2 weeks.
    [​IMG]

12. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

If this is what they deliver, great! It should be glass clear and thick.

13. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

Yup, made from palm oil.

Global Green Chemical Public Company Limited | Member | RSPO - Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil

http://doc.ccc-group.com/spec/465508.pdf

14. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    Siam Diesel likes this.
  15. sethrune.sr

I've replied you pm :)

suudlor and Tibo like this.