1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

What's the fascination with the DNA 40 Boards about?

Discussion in 'Vaping Technical Issues' started by chia yossarian, May 17, 2015.

1. chia yossarian
    Angelic

chia yossarian Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Just wondering loud ...

All of these chips and boards do serve only one purpose: To fix the Voltage the Mod sends to the Atomizer.
    Ok, and then do some basic calculations based on Ohm's law and show a few derived numbers on a tiny screen.
    So, what else is the DNA board doing, that so many users recommend it, and it seems to be significantly more expensive than the others, too?

2. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

That's due to it being a very safe chip to use.
    The Evolv chips are made in the USA and they have safety above all else
    Cheap Chinese chips are cheap, it costs around 2,700 THB just for the Evolv dna chip, where you can buy a cheap mod like say an iStick for anywhere from 1,200 to 2,000 THB for the whole device
    When they work they work fine i guess for the cheap ones but when they go wrong they end up going really wrong

The only Chinese chipset I really trust are the YiHi chips
    I'm going to stick with the Evolv chips, I have the dna 40 in a Zero clone and then just the YiHi chips, I have both the SX Minis S and M class, those devices and chips are excellent, and I've just for my IPV4 so all really good chips....

Dieter. likes this.
  3. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Besides the safety aspects outlined by @-V-, it can control the temperature of the coil if you're using Ni200 wire. This eliminates dry hits and burnt juice.

Dieter. likes this.
  4. -V-
    Cool

Oh yes,,,lol.,,
    I'm not big on the temp thing, but I like to have good chips, and the Evolv and YiHI ones are....
    Yes there's still the problems with the Evolv dna 40 screen scramble thing but that's that....

5. chia yossarian
    Angelic

chia yossarian Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Safeety aspect is understood.

Now the temperature control: This must be another calculation result, based on some known thermal properties of this one wire? Unless there is a temperature chip build into the Atomizer which I rather doubt? Or am I wrong here?

6. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

The chips themselves are reasonably priced. The mods they are often mounted in are usually more expensive though.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  7. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

Personally, I think people use them as an "extension," if you know what I mean.
    :lost it::grin::pleasure:

chia yossarian and Siam Diesel like this.
  8. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Even if I probably don't (currently) need all the features it offers, from a quality point of view I'm really hoping my next mod is a SX Mini M class...they look awesome.

Siam Diesel and judas like this.
  9. judas
    Amused

judas Lethargic Member

They are :)

PattsVaper, Nanook and Siam Diesel like this.
  10. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Grrrrrrrrrr...can't wait for mine to get here in the middle of next month (long story). :D

PattsVaper, judas and Nanook like this.
  11. judas
    Amused

judas Lethargic Member

I just love to vape the tank dry like I did this morning. Ran out the deadly sin until "dry coil" showed and filled up with Orange Blossom. First hit, straight up OB :very good:

PattsVaper, asiaexpat and Siam Diesel like this.
  12. asiaexpat

asiaexpat Well-Known Member

Exactly==vape it dry then add a different juice--very little or no overlap of flavors

13. yourauntbob
    Happy

yourauntbob hair club for men member

good points above, there are other advantages to the DNA boards. Many people prefer the dna over the cheap chinese chips since they are not PWM (pulse width modulation). instead they have a flat signal.

so the running total is

1. safety
    2. reliability
    3. temp control (that actually works)
    4. flat signal

i am sure there is more....

Siam Diesel likes this.
  14. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Professional Lurker

Many chinese chips have flat signals too.

Also I would not call the latest DNA 40 reliable in any way, but yes the temp control works.
    It does work in other chinese mods also like Kangxin and YiHi.

15. -V-
    Cool

Yep I have the Vapor Flask clone from them and the temp chip works fantastic...
    I'm testing out the IPV4 which has the YiHi temp chip in it, however with my Subtank out of juice and my stock Nickel coil in it I just got a massive burnt hit, you could even smell it in the room...
    I popped on the Subtank to my Evolv dna 40 chip and that did nothing but hit temp protection and got nothing from the coil...

I need more time to play with the settings of the IPV 4 but was very disappointed tonight, I've been running my Subtank with Nickel coils on my Vapour Flask clone temp mod and have run the tank bone dry and never got any burnt or bad hit in months....
    Full review of the IPV4 coming maybe next week, need to get my KayFun 4 tank up and working so I can build come Nickel coils and do the famous dry cotton testing....