1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

What to think about when getting a mechanical mod ??

Discussion in 'Modifications and DIY' started by a_spirit, Nov 20, 2015.

1. a_spirit
    Angelic

a_spirit Thread Starter Swedish n00b

Maybe you should get one of these :D

GangMOD Vaporizer | GangMOD

The Rev likes this.
  2. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

[​IMG]
    Thank me later.

3. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

I look at my copper Nemesis when I am using my brass Nemesis . . . and vice versa!

jpr, Siam Diesel, a_spirit and 2 others like this.
  4. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

Should probably buy a second one to do the same

5. debatedude
    No Mood

People can recommend anything. The thing with mech mods is that it all boils down to personal preference, and the only way to learn what you like is to try a few. I have bough mech mod clones only to throw them away after an hour of use - for me, they just sucked. I followed the recommendation of someone and learned. My advice is to get yourself to a brick and mortar shop and touch them. Feel them. See how they handle. Bring a couple of your favorite RDA/RTAs along and see how they look on it. If you're lucky, the shop owner might actually let you fire up the display model.

I also agree that buying originals is far better than clones. I cleaned out my clone drawer and threw out three really shitty clones. But there are good clones too. Tobeco, H-Cigar, and Infinity can turn out some good stuff.

Siam Diesel, a_spirit and The Rev like this.
  6. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

In actuality, any vw/vv/tc box cannot put out the wattage a mec can as it takes some juice to run the board. Even with pass through there is still some electronic piece involved. You also cannot get a regulated device as small as you can a mech tube mod as again, with the electronics involved, they have to fit in somewhere. With Mechs you also have to learn how to build for a good vape in between approx. 4.2 and 3.4v . In this by trial and error, it teaches us how to properly build for regulated as well and gives us a good understanding of what we're doing. I have regulated stuff I'll give away but I'll never part with any of my mechs.

Siam Diesel, a_spirit and debatedude like this.
  7. debatedude
    No Mood

Another thing to consider is what always works. For example, Nemesis mech mods are simple and have not really changed in design since they came out. But they are solid, can take a beating, and will always fire consistently. Many clones and newer originals cannot say the same.

Siam Diesel, a_spirit and The Rev like this.
  8. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

I myself have never had the cash for originals. I have instead had to find the best clones I could find and then finish them myself to become just as nice if not nicer than the authentics. Even my FUHattan is a cloned design of the inferior A/V Manhattan mod. My GP Paps clones all needed plenty of finishing to arrive at their very finely tuned state which now have buttons that fire as if they were touch screens. I don't have a lot of them but the ones I have I love and have an appreciation for them, admiring them every time I pick them up. I can't really say the same for any of my Regs.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    Siam Diesel, a_spirit and debatedude like this.
  9. debatedude
    No Mood

I understand completely. I feel the same for my two Nemesis and my brass Stingray. For me, they are perfect. Great to look at and great to vape.

a_spirit and The Rev like this.
  10. EJ1024

EJ1024 Member

Don't do it

VAPE ON

11. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Ok, Mech Heads! :D Where's the safety spiel to our new vaper about the need to thoroughly understand Ohm's Law and to make coils that fall within the capabilities of the batteries being used?? To you guys, this is second nature but probably not to him or he wouldn't have asked this:

@a_spirit - be very, very careful when you start out with the mechanicals...there is little or no protection built in to the mods listed above and if you get it wrong, the results can be devastating.

I tend to agree with @EJ1024 for the present...
    Read up on battery safety as it applies to vaping with mech mods and above all, vape safely!!
    :vaping: :vaping:

Konvict, fridgemagnet, Neilly and 3 others like this.
  12. debatedude
    No Mood

Come on man! Haven't you ever heard of a "trial by fire" before?
    :rolling laugh:

a_spirit and Siam Diesel like this.
  13. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Yes, I have...but we're all waaaaay beyond the 'rights of passage' age...
    :wink:

Konvict, fridgemagnet and debatedude like this.
  14. a_spirit
    Angelic

a_spirit Thread Starter Swedish n00b

So http://www.heavengifts.com/50W-Aspire-CF-MAXX-Sub-Ohm-Battery-3000mAh.html']50W Aspire CF MAXX Sub Ohm Battery - 3000mAh thats the safest way??

But how big is the tolerance on ohm in a mech?? IF i aim for 0,15 and it gets 0,17 for example, is that what might kill the battery??

Vaped from my iPhone with adapter to Tapatalk

15. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

If you aim for 0.15 (which is quite low anyway...you should aim for 0.25-0.3 IMO) and get 0.10-0.12, THAT might kill the battery and you with it...not kidding a bit here BTW!

Make sure you have a stand alone ohm checker that's reasonable accurate...this is not the place to try and save money!

Konvict, fridgemagnet and a_spirit like this.