1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Vaping out and about on the streets.

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vapers Lounge' started by seanbangkok, Mar 26, 2014.

1. seanbangkok

seanbangkok Thread Starter New Member

Being a relatively new kid on the block to the vaping scene.

I was wondering how all of you other guys and gals actually felt when out either vaping on the streets or in public places.

I am becoming used to some rather odd glares from passers by on the streets, but in other public places, either in or out doors, I've found it to be quite uncomfortable at times to deal with the anti social looks I can get from others.

Maybe it's just me being paranoid, but how do the rest of you cope with things.

Keep up the great work with the forum by the way.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

--
    Sent from my Samsung

2. ryanmacl

ryanmacl Well-Known Member

I love the stares. I don't think its anti-social at all; quite the contrary, I think the majority of them have a bunch of questions they are too afraid to ask. Sometimes I hear them talking in Thai about the ecig, and once in a while they actually ask about it. It was just two weeks ago I believe that a Thai stopped yourauntbob and myself not 50 meters outside of Big By-pass shop and walked with us another 100 meters asking all kinds of questions about our gear.

Another thing, don't think that they don't know what we are doing. It may not be commonplace yet, but Thais are very aware that e-cigs exist. I just found on Facebook today a Thai language group called E Cigarette Chonburi Club (บุหรี่ไฟฟ้า ชลบุรี) with almost 2500 members. We are not ahead of any curve here, foreign vapers are the vast minority here.

Most of the glares are probably just Thais either trying to figure out what you're doing or what gear you're using. I do the same when I see someone else vaping. When they do it to me, I just smile. This is Thailand.

3. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

For ne I vape in 3 places, my office, my house and my car, that's it, so I don't have to worry or think about this.
    When I first started vaping I would get a few looks when walking around the markets or car parks at the shopping malls, but that was only really when I first started vaping.

As I don't actually socialize really, I am ok with the vaping I do..

No problem, glad you like it

4. seanbangkok

Great reply, thanks for the feedback.

I have a suspicion that this thread will lead me down the path of my thoughts being nothing more than an unfamilier feeling of paranoia.

--
    Sent from my Samsung

5. yourauntbob
    Happy

yourauntbob hair club for men member

i vape openly, never had an issue. like ryan says, many already know what it is. at my normal lunch place i heard a thai ask the staff what i was doing and thought the women never asked me about my ecig she responed in Thai correctly that i was using an e cig. i wouldnt worry about vaping in public too much........ but i wouldnt do it in the middle of the mall or anything

6. seanbangkok

Your thoughts and recommendation taken on board with thanks yourauntbob

--
    Sent from my Samsung

7. seanbangkok

So it's also sounding like choice of locations has a lot to do with things.

--
    Sent from my Samsung

8. Panga

Panga idiot

I vape everywhere I would have smoked. I feel uncomfortable if I'm blowing clouds that blow over people but only because I feel discourteous. Here in CM in 3 weeks I have seen maybe 8 or so Thais with ecigs. Always ego/clearo but I usually stop and have a chat. A lot of people have asked me about ecigs - how they work, where to get them, cost etc. As ryanmacl says its not a new concept here.

tbh I haven't noticed people staring (any more than usual). Maybe because I just came from Korea where people really stare at you (often with open hatred). Also I have giant hands and tend to use 18350s when I am out and about so I think most people don't even realise.

9. -V-
    Cool

I remember a few months back in a few places around the city (kinda a small city here) i saw around 3 or 4 Thais vaping the same kinda thing. There was also a youngish (20 years old) couple vaping outside a 7/11 on night, they looked a kind of 'hip' kind of couple too, not some down and ours if you get what I mean....:rolling laugh:

10. seanbangkok

That's fair comment Panga, thanks for sharing.

Vapermorphs, I've seen a couple of other people vaping, but never more that 1 at any time.

Surprisingly I've never actually seen any other Farangs vaping, just locals.

I had better add that I've had as many strange looks from Farangs as I've had from locals with my gadget.

I'm also guessing it could be the e-cig I'm using.
    I currently have an iTaste MVP, so it is a larger than usual size.

Even friends ask me what the hell it is... Haha

--
    Sent from my Samsung

11. -V-
    Cool

Lots of them around my city....I got most of them on it..

Not sure if it's the size or more so the shape, as it's a box mod...
    I got a few looks when I had my Innokin 134 :rolling laugh:

12. seanbangkok

I've got a lot to learn about the different styles available :eek:

--
    Sent from my Samsung

13. pommyb

pommyb New Member

Just been having fun tonight to be honest. Went to the local ladyboy show here in Jomtiuen with my Thai family and double checked that it was ok to cape with them, They allow smoking inside so I really didn't expect a problem.

I was promptly told to enter the no smoking area and have a ball by the Farang manager/owner of the club. I was dripping a .36 dual ands the waiter came up and told me to go for it as everyone was enjoyingb the smell of my Vape and had asked him where the new smell was coming from. :rolling laugh:

14. BadWingman

BadWingman Newbie

Although I would smoke anywhere it was allowed with no problems in the world I was a shy vaperer at first. Started in my room then moved outside to the common/smoking area. Next to my local bar and sure you get the question or 2 about what it is and can I have a try.

These days its a pretty much non event. I know when I go to a new coffee shop/restaurant/bar I'm going to get the odd look or 2 to begin with but then no-one bats an eyelid. Human nature - Its not the norm (yet) to see people E-cigging away so of course they want to have a gawk but thats all it tends to be.

The occasional time I've had people genuinely interested and want to know what, how and where to buy.

I'm yet to see any Thai people with one apart from when they have a go on mine. I could probably count on one hand the amount of Farang I've seen using them also.

So I guess everyone has different comfort levels. My mate was at it on day 2 vaping away in shopping centers. Me - I'm more only where smoking is normally accepted unless I'm having a stealth vape at times.

15. seanbangkok

Pommyb and BadWingman, great write ups from both of you above, thanks for that.

--
    Sent from my Samsung