1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Vaping in Myanmar

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by PattsVaper, Oct 12, 2014.

1. PattsVaper
    Lurking

PattsVaper Thread Starter Thailand Vapers Member

E-cigarettes and all things vaping is legal in Myanmar, at least for the present. :very good:

My interest in this neighboring country has been rekindled from a recent post by Scratchy who has just returned from his holiday in Myanmar. He raved to me that this is the friendliest country that he has ever visited in all his travelling. So in a couple of weeks I'll be flying over to Rangoon to enjoy a 2 week holiday there myself.

Actually, I'm Anglo/Burmese and I was born in Rangoon but the last time I was there was over 44 years ago and now with the emerging democratic reforms that's happening in Burma, I figure it's a good time to re-visit the country of my birth.

Scratchy told me he found a vape store in Rangoon called "Vape City" and they have a Facebook page which is worth checking out. Vape City - Myanmar - Yangon, Burma - Shopping Service, Electronics Store | Facebook

This store looks world class and is way more impressive than any bricks and mortar shops to be found in Bangkok, Pattaya or other places in Thailand.
    Vape City.jpg
    Vape City2.jpg

Vape City is owned by a Burmese actress and therefore the clientele is largely catering to actors/actresses, singers/rappers and other celebrities. When you have the Stars of the Burmese Entertainment World using and promoting e-cigs it definitely makes for good Press and favorable acceptance of vaping. Of course this store sells high-end vaping gear which is beyond the reach of the average Burmese but low-end e-cigs can be bought for around US$10 in some Pharmacies in Rangoon.
    Vape City1.jpg

I'll be sure to post some pics and updates from Burma in a few weeks.
    Let's see . . . . . about 70ml of GLV juice should last me for my holiday don't ya think? :vaping:

Dieter., OVALE, Siam Diesel and 3 others like this.
  2. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Hey-a Patts,

Make sure you walk out of the shop with a souvenir umbrella. Very nice indeed! Not sure if they gave me it out of guilt for my giving them some rayon and letting em try out out my juices and equipment. He-he Anyway, they are a nice group of folks and it's a nice setup they have there but somewhat limited with the higher end stuff. Also, the ejuice is pretty expensive relative to what we are used to seeing with basic/generic type lines but if in a pinch could be an option when there. Unfortunately, they only had like 5 flavors in stock @ 6mg while a whole bunch at 0mg and 12mg.

I had a lot of curious looks while vaping in-country (Yangon, Inlay Lake and Mandalay). Nothing negative. I brought a couple extra drip tips with me wherever I went and some small alcohol wipes and it was a real kick to see the reaction of people who I welcome to try my stuff out (Almost everyone who did loved it and then would ask how much it cost etc.). I had a lot of fun talking with folks there about it even if much of the conversation was limited because of language issues.

Patts - Recommend you bring about 100 ml juice and a variety. You never know if you lose or break something etc.

Here's a few pics I took at Vape City. I may have a pic or two of some locals trying out my stuff but haven't gotten to them yet.

VC1.jpg
    VC2.jpg
    VC3.jpg
    **Updated**
    Found the pics of a couple local guys trying out vaping for first time:

20140929-DSC01233.JPG
    20140929-DSC01231.JPG

Dieter., CABBA, Siam Diesel and 3 others like this.
  3. jon
    Mellow

jon Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for interesting info to both ! I’ve been thinking about visiting Myanmar for some time. My daughter and a friend visited sometime ago and could not stop talking about the place.

Dieter., Scratchy and PattsVaper like this.
  4. Scratchy
    Lurking

Like Patts made mention, I was super-impressed with the people there. So many more genuine and kind folks as a percentage compared to Thailand. I don't know how much longer that will last though as the country is developing at a fast pace and so many more foreign visitors going there all the time. I hope the scams and many of the negatives found here and in other countries don't soon become more common in Myanmar but given how things tend to turn out, I'm not optimistic for the long term with that. Still, I figure it's probably always going to be a gentler and kinder place overall than most other countries.

Patts: I trust you're gonna have a great visit there!

Dieter., jon and PattsVaper like this.
  5. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Awesome pics of the locals Scratchy!

Scratchy likes this.
  6. Scratchy
    Lurking

Thanks, Rick. Those pics are a couple of my favorites from the trip.

In one village a couple of older guys were watching me vape while I was sitting and drinking coffee. Their eyes would get big whenever I blew out some vapor and they would smile and nod their heads. Seeing how interested they were, I offered to let them try. They both didn't know how to respond at first and talked to each other about it for a bit before one of them timidly accepted my handing over of a mod. I am kicking myself for not having caught that whole thing and their vaping reactions on video because it was awesome. I'll never forget it.
    :grin:

jon likes this.
  7. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

Wish we had those kinds of shops over here.
    Thanks for the info and images, be sure to tell us all about it...

Dieter. likes this.
  8. PattsVaper
    Lurking

I saw on their Facebook page that they were giving away those umbrellas as a Grand Opening gift to the first 50 customers so I think I'll miss out on that.

Very nice pics too Scratchy, your blue Hana clone looks great and I think I'll take my red one with me for my trip as well as my trusty SVD, Nautilus big and mini tanks and a couple of Kayfuns. Did you pack your batteries in your check-in luggage or your carry-on bag? Seeing how it's legal there I don't think I'll bother removing the labels from my juices.
    **Updated**
    You should go jon, it's only a 45 minute flight to Yangon . . . . but the taxi ride for me from Pattaya to Don Muang airport takes about 2 hours. lol

I got the eVisa online from the Myanmar Government site for $50 and they sent me the approval letter to my email in 4 days. Just hand this letter to Immigration at the airport and they stamp the entry visa in your passport. Don't do it through an Agency because it will cost you $100 as well as being charged $30 for the visa in Yangon airport..

Dieter. and jon like this.
  9. Rowdy
    Devilish

Rowdy Old broken down Vaper

Good report and pictures thanks. Look at the difference just because its legal over there.:thank you:

About the people, I found the same thing in Cambodia, I live & worked there for 5 years. It was the friendly (Genuine) people that kept me there but it was ill health that brought me back to Thailand. It was not soi 6 that brought me back to Thailand.:pleasure:

Dieter. likes this.
  10. Scratchy
    Lurking

I brought them in my carry-on bag. Mods had batteries and then 2 extras in battery case. You are probably fine keeping the labels on the juice. I was in super-safe mode when I went. :)

I got my visa through an agent here in BKK because I had backed out of plane tickets he had been working on for me and wanted to give him some business. He's a really good guy who has been hurting some business-wise. Anyway, wanted to point out that I did not have to pay any additional money at the airport such like you see in Cambodia.

Agree here about the people of Cambodia!

Dieter. likes this.
  11. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

Enjoy your vacation in Myanmar, PattsVaper.

And have a save journey and send us some photo's while you're there!

12. PattsVaper
    Lurking

Thanks Konvict. Hell! There were 100s of taxis in queue going into Don Mueng... at 5 o'clock in the morning? Too many people at the airport... I hate flying! Air Asia has a slogan painted on their planes - "Now everyone can fly." It seemed to me like everyone was flying this morning!
    No problems checking in. Packed my SVD, Hana DNA30, tanks & juice in my check-in bag. Batteries, vv v3 with ETS Aspire in my carry-on & no problems going thru x-rays. I figure I'll do the same on the way back & all will be sweet.

Dieter., Siam Diesel, Tibo and 2 others like this.
  13. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

Great to hear from you mate.

Please let us know how you are doing!

Have a great time there!

Siam Diesel and Tibo like this.
  14. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

Don't forget some pictures of your trip for us man! Enjoy and stay safe

Sent from the future

Siam Diesel and Konvict like this.
  15. PattsVaper
    Lurking

I was sitting outside the hotel this morning enjoying a cup of coffee & vaping New Minster 23 & I spot this local vaping as well. He came over to check out my gear. He had a Vision with an Aspire ETS tank, he paid US$30 total.[​IMG]

Dieter., Tibo, judas and 3 others like this.