1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Vaping Import/Export Ban Clarified

Discussion in 'E-News' started by debatedude, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Darth Vaper
    Sick

Darth Vaper Keep Calm and Impose Your Will on Others

Wha? "Good News"...?!

No, no, no... we can't let 'good news' go on uninterrupted.

fbCapture.JPG

Ah, there you go. Balance to the universe. Bringin' it.

2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Dieter. and Konvict like this.
  3. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

+1

Life without you here on the forum is like...:chinrub:...like hell on earth!

Dieter. and Siam Diesel like this.
  4. Darth Vaper
    Sick

Darth Vaper Keep Calm and Impose Your Will on Others

Here is one better:

a link to the video, stored on dropbox.

This should stay up for as long as dropbox decides to take it down (probably a long time from now or never) and no one else.

you can watch it if you have Flash Player installed or else download it. It is about 3.5 MB
    **Updated**
    *mental note: destroy @Konvict 's house with sub orbital ion cannon.

No good deed...!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Well-Known Member

Yes, nice to hear from you, Darth.
    I must admit though, that I am one of the few who has voted with my feet, not necessarily purely due to the attitude to Vaping, but the current Govt. has made life in LOS so unlike what I moved here for that we have finally (17 years later) moved on.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Siam Diesel and debatedude like this.
  6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

7. Bob-T-B

Bob-T-B New Member

Could you explain why it’s preferable to put things (other than batteries) in checked luggage? I don’t recall ever having my carry-on baggage x-rayed at a destination airport, whereas I thought that checked baggage routinely was. If I’m flying to Thailand from a country where e-cigarettes are allowed, it doesn’t matter if they x-ray my carry-on luggage at the departure airport, so logically it seems more prudent to put things in carry-on rather than checked baggage. Am I misunderstanding something here?

8. Bob-T-B

Bob-T-B New Member

Bump

If this is deemed too sensitive to answer on a public forum, can someone reply by PM please?

Thanks

9. sharok

sharok New Member

@Bob-T-B
    Actually, you can't even put ecig in checked baggage. You must take it with you, carry-on luggage or in the pocket. It's a new rule from ICAO(International Civil Aviation Organization). I had one case, I took my ecig in checked luggage, but airport stuff told me to take it to cabin.
    I cannot put links. Just google: ICAO ecig rules

Probably, because it will be more difficult to understand that it's a ecig, especially, if you take off tank/atom from MOD and drip tip also. You usually have a lot of stuff in a buggage, right?

Siam Diesel likes this.
  10. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

As for Thailand.
    If they see a vape in your check-in on the screen, they might ask you at scanning point if you have a lighter. So happened to me at Don Muang on 15. of Sep. I recommend don't. What they don't see does not bother anyone. Put it together with other electronics into your check-in. And no vapes with integrated battery. The batteries, I recommend two of them not more, in the carry-on , and then may be with a suitable torch as what SG said.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  11. Bob-T-B

Bob-T-B New Member

@peter-k I’m slightly confused by your reply. On the one hand you say “if they see a vape in your check-in on the screen ….. I recommend don’t”. But you also say “put it together with other electronics into your check-in”. So is your recommendation to take the gear in check-in or carry-on, and why? Does this also apply to e-liquids? For information I have a basic starter kit with a glassomiser and detachable battery. The battery (plus one spare) obviously will have to go in carry-on luggage. Unfortunately the battery is not of a type that can double as a torch battery, so disguising its purpose is not an option.

@sharok To clarify, were you told by airport staff to remove your ecig from checked baggage and put it in carry-on because it was recognisable as an ecig when it was x-rayed? Do you think it would have made any difference if you had dismantled it into its component parts before packing it? I checked the ICAO rules as you suggest, and they say “The International Civil Aviation Organization has amended the 2015-2016 edition of its Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air (ICAO Doc 9284), prohibiting passengers and crew from carrying e-cigarettes and other battery-powered portable electronic smoking devices in checked baggage”. The safety issue is clearly with the batteries. Did you have the batteries in your checked-in baggage when you were told to put your ecig in carry-on?

12. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

@Bob-T-B - the ICAO rules don't distinguish between ecigs with/without batteries but like you, I believe the rules are intended to prevent Li-Ion batteries in checked luggage...so I comply with the spirit (if not the letter) of the regulations. I travel frequently with my mods...I've never had any problems or questions when they're in my checked luggage (without batteries).

I always suggest putting as much as possible in checked luggage. Besides the fact that checked luggage is rarely opened for a physical search (either at check-in or on arrival at your destination), there's just more room to hide stuff among clothes, toiletries and all the other stuff we pack when traveling. On the other hand, my carry-on luggage is opened frequently for inspection, at least on departure...much less frequently on arrival.

I carry only a Joyetech Aio and 18650 batteries (for my flashlight) in my carry-on luggage. Everything else is in checked luggage, which is always plastic wrapped.

A bit more...it's not the x-rays you're trying to circumvent, it's the physical search. Departure X-ray scans are intended to prevent specific, unsafe items from getting on airplanes...they're not looking specifically for ecgis so as long as your batteries (in whatever form) are packed safely, you shouldn't have any issues.

However, it's different for (random, at least at Swampy) arrival x-ray scans at Customs. There, they're looking for illegal imports, primarily cigarettes & booze over the free allowance, but they'll take what they can get. If you follow @peter-k's advice and split everything up (I don't cut up my spare coil strips) and distribute it in your checked luggage, it's much less likely anything will trigger their interest if you get selected for random scanning. But since they already have you in front of them, they may just take the opportunity to peer into your carry-on luggage, which is why it's not a bad idea to transfer your ecig to your pocket (in the restroom) before clearing customs.

As @debatedude has mentioned, if you're really worried (or have a lot of stuff), there are reasonably priced arrival services at Swampy that walk you through Immigration & Customs...a small price to pay for peace of mind (and they can save you huge chunks of time when the airport is busy).

Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!
    :vaping: :vaping:

Bob-T-B likes this.
  13. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

You are right, my mistake.
    My recommendations are:
    - dismantle everything you can
    - coil heads, cut them appart if they are packed in blister strips, basically divide everything into the smallest possible units
    - electronics and tank into the check-in luggage together with other electronics
    - e-liquid only what you really need, together with other liquids in toiletries bag
    - batteries in the hand-carry luggage, may be together with a torch, as what SD said
    - no vapes with build in battery, not even small ones
    - bring only what you really need

I am planning to get a Voidray if I can. It is made of plastic and not as easily visible on screen. I know they decide on basis of shape. The Voidray will appear as a circuit board and some wire with only a faint shape visible.

14. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Thread Starter Mech Moderator Staff Member

In my experience, getting out of Thailand is the hard part. Coming in is easy. I follow @Siam Diesel's advice (except I have never had the plastic wrapping. I need to look in to that). Because of the amount of "stuff" that I bring back to Thailand, I do use an airport service to smooth the way at immigration and customs.

Bob-T-B, Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  15. Bob-T-B

Bob-T-B New Member

@Siam Diesel @peter-k @debatedude Thank you all very much for your advice. Just one final question. If, as @peter-k says, they look at shapes as the basis for deciding whether to investigate further, won’t ten e-liquid bottles be a bit of a give-away? Can anything be done about this?