1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Undenatured Ethyl Alcohol or Everclear

Discussion in 'Thailand DIY Juice Making' started by The Rev, Aug 24, 2015.

1. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Thread Starter Forgiven Member

Hey guys, I'm looking and looking but keep hitting road blocks. I am looking for Ethyl Alcohol that is suitable for consumption to extract flavors. I have found Ethyl Alcohol from Chemipan but it is denatured so it cannot be used as it is basically poisonous. Another option is to use a very high proof drinking alcohol such as 190 proof Everclear. Of course that seems impossible to find as well. What have you guys found here to accomplish this?

2. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Probably overseas, somewhere like the perfumers apprentice or chef's vapour might have it.

Maybe someone else know closer to home. Have you looked at hiliq or one of the other forum sponsors?

3. The Rev
    Sleepy

I haven't. I know this is a very niche part of juice making so figured my best place to start would be in here. I'll have a look and see what I can find.

4. zougou

zougou Well-Known Member

99% ethanol "for pharmaceutical use" is available in medical supply stores here in Chiang Mai. It's made by the government "Liquor Distillery Excise Department"--don't know if that's good or bad news!

The Rev likes this.
  5. The Rev
    Sleepy

It is very possible that will work if it isn't denatured in any way. Thank you for letting me know!

6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Anyone know where there's one of these in Patts? I've tried to find this in several pharmacies but to no avail.
    I'm looking to use it for cleaning in place of rubbing alcohol.

Konvict likes this.
  7. colind88
    Devilish

colind88 Well-Known Member

I tried to use flavorings that had been extracted with Alcohol -McCormicks - and nearly passed out vaping that shite. IMO as far as you should be going is doing extractions that may work with Vegetable Glycerin which is an Sugar Alcohol. More than that and you are asking for trouble in my experience. Flavour extracts are cheap - stick with recognised companies and never buy anything locally here in Thailand (you really have no idea how they are produced or what local flavours contain. The problem also exists that when you start trying to extract shite yourself you end up extracting a whole lot of things that are not good for you vape wise. Proteins particularly. Have a listen to Dr Farsalinos on the matter - he is quite specific and even advises against naturally extracted organic flavours. Just ma 2 cents :)

8. The Rev
    Sleepy

Trying to filter a PG extract is hard work once you try to filter down to 1-2 microns. The key is to do the hot or cold soak in Ethanol and then transfer the flavoring to PG by adding PG and evaporating off the ethanol. Dr. Farsalinos has already spoken on NETs and the outcome has been quite positive. Here is the jist of one of the reports:

"
    A new study published in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health by Dr. K. Farsalinos and his team has found that in tobacco-flavoured E-Liquids the levels of tobacco-derived toxins is orders of magnitude lower than in actual tobacco cigarettes.

This includes E-Liquids that use natural tobacco leaves as a flavouring extract, so called NET E-Liquids (Natural Extracts of Tobacco).

The group found that the amount of nitrosamines released by tobacco flavoured E-Liquids were 146 – 1447 times lower than that released by burning tobacco while nitrate was 1360 times lower in the E-Liquids.

The levels in the NET liquids were slightly higher but still significantly lower than in traditional tobacco cigarettes."
    **Updated**
    Here is a link to it for your reading pleasure: IJERPH | Free Full-Text | Nicotine Levels and Presence of Selected Tobacco-Derived Toxins in Tobacco Flavoured Electronic Cigarette Refill Liquids

fridgemagnet likes this.
  9. colind88
    Devilish

I have done many NET extractions with VG - Company bought flavorings (I have about 40) are still magnitudes better IMO - but good luck with it. Glad it is indeed tobacco extracts you are doing at least.

10. The Rev
    Sleepy

I have yet to find a tobacco flavoring that comes anywhere close to NETs when it comes to nailing the true bouquet of pipe tobacco. Pipe tobacco even when smoked doesn't give you flavor you expect to taste from the room note. NETs however do give you the wonderful taste that pairs perfectly with that room note. The problem with most NETs are in the fact that they tend to gunk up your wick and coils about twice as fast. Extracting with ethanol allows you to filter at very low temperatures catching solidified waxes and other gunk. At these temps PG and VG can take days and even weeks to make their way through a gravity fed filter whereas Ethanol makes it's way through in minutes. It produces a much cleaner extract that allows your wick and coils to last nearly as long as with synthetic juices. I've been working with many TFA, FA, and CAP flavors but have never fell totally in love until I tasted NETs. I plan to eventually combine hot and cold soak PG extracted NETs, PGA extracted NETs and different favorings to find my perfect vape.

fridgemagnet likes this.
  11. colind88
    Devilish

Wishing you all the best with your mission Red. Let me know if you create anything astounding as I am a tobacco flavor guy. Smoking a Perique Black, Latakia, flue cured mixture as we converse :)

The Rev likes this.
  12. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

I'm not a tobacco guy and I don't mix my own juice (or extract my own flavors) but this stuff from Johnson Creek tastes awfully good...availability is limited but it's well worth a try, even if it's a bit pricey.
    Founder's Reserve™ Johnson Creek Vapor Liquid

Konvict and The Rev like this.
  13. The Rev
    Sleepy

I am interested to see if I can get the smokiness of a strong latakia to come through. I have my doubts but it will certainly be worth a shot. Should I strike it rich in the flavor department I will let you know for sure.
    I can't see a price for that particular blend but if it is $10/15ml like it's siblings, that is about par for a brand name juice in the states. I'd pay without issue if it's good. I'll make sure to keep an eye out and have it sent over in a care package to give it a shot.

14. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

It's $29.95 for 30 ml...have to keep an eye on the website for availability.

Konvict and The Rev like this.
  15. The Rev
    Sleepy

Aw well.... now that's up there in 5 pawns territory and I wont pay that just on principle. I understand they age it in oak barrels but seriously, that's a lot of money. There is a guy that creates and sells a dynamite juice line by the name of Ether Vapes. I don't know what the rules are are far as posting websites but google the name and it comes up first. The prices are wonderfully inexpensive and the taste is out of this world. His turnaround is super quick as well though I don't know if he will ship over here. He probably will and I'm sure would list or label things as you wish as well.

Siam Diesel and Neilly like this.