1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Help Travelling out of Thailand

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by scubajew, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Don't really need to be an expert when IATA has put it in such plain language... ;)
    (from the IATA publication on Electronic Cigarettes, 3rd Edition - April 2016: English (pdf))

upload_2017-3-5_10-12-10.png

Since the goal is to eliminate the possibility of an e-cig going off in checked luggage, it's my interpretation of the above that an e-cig can be placed in checked luggage as long as it doesn't have a battery inside it (which means that e-cigs with integral batteries may not be placed in checked luggage). To date, I've not had any issues doing this...and I travel very frequently.

Not really...at least not in your checked luggage. Besides the different chemistry between an alkaline AA/AAA battery & a Li-Ion 18650 battery, there's a dramatic size difference (@AI-NAAM has already covered the explosion potential of an 18650 above). Airline personnel manning check-in desks have been trained about this...I'm continually asked if I have a power bank in my checked luggage before it's accepted for carriage. And on my last trip back from China, the folks manning the (plastic) luggage wrap station asked me the same thing before they'd wrap my bag!

In short, it's ok to put small electronics containing AA/AAA batteries in your checked luggage, it's not ok to put Li-Ion batteries, whether in a mod or loose, in checked luggage.

upload_2017-3-5_10-26-0.png

It's all about safety...yours and that of your fellow passengers. Don't be irresponsible...carry Li-Ion batteries in your carry-on luggage only!
    :vaping: :vaping:

2. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

3. sezze

sezze Active Member

I stated it somewhere else allready . Lasttime traveling out , i was halted after the x-ray asking i had batteries in my bag ( handluggage ) . I said yes , and i needed to show them . I took them out , but i had them inside a battery box , containing 2 batteries . The 1 person asked other person if this ok , and he nodded : yes ok . It will light up on x-ray and can see it . If they stop you or not , is a guess , but they can do and they can confiscate them if not properly packed . Li batteries are dangerous , and can explode or give very serious fires . Do handle them with care , and put them in a decent protective case , and in your hand luggage . This way , incase something bad happens they can seperate the pack easy , before bad this happen ( there is minimum 1 case 100% sure where Li batteries are the reason for aircrash , and there is investigiation going on on at least 1 more crash that i'm aware of ). This is the minimum hassle you can have , put in battery box and handluggage and done , no problem .

4. scubajew

scubajew Thread Starter Member

Success...

made it through without a hitch. Airline stated all batteries must be in carry on, not in checked luggage. Now the only issue is the 2 meters of snow and minus temperatures in March!!! a proper homecoming.
    IMG_20170305_063044.jpg

thanks for all the input and advice...keep on vaping THAILAND!!!

Kandy, Konvict, farangmick and 3 others like this.
  5. James

James Member

Hey, just want to share my experience leaving Thailand from Phuket. I actually went through the security X-rays 2 nights in a row since my flight on Sunday night was grounded before even taking off.
    I had zero problems :) first time I dismantled everything and Placed with my carry on then reassembled everything once through the scanners. No questions asked. Second night, was asked if the 2 batteries I had were batteries and I said yes, no problems. Mod and atomiser also in my carry on bag. No questions asked and you could clearly see them on the X-ray screen.
    Phuket airport has been redeveloped and has a big outdoor area where there is a shop called smoke cafe and room for about 100 people to smoke outside. I saw Lindsey Lohan outside there having a smoke last night too! Anyways, I was able to vape in the outdoor smoking area at Phuket airport without any issues and I also saw 3 other people vaping there too. They also had no issues bring there vape in/out of Thailand via Phuket and one of them wasn't even aware vaping was illegal.

6. Anbessa
    Thinking

Anbessa Come&Go Member

:vomit: Thanks for sharing. Oh how i love not to be there.... :grin:

Siam Diesel likes this.
  7. farangmick
    Worried

farangmick Well-Known Member

I read up to about thirty reports. The one thing that struck me was that none of the reporters asked for details of the mod/battery. Or maybe they did, but the editor only wanted a shock/horror story with photos of a bloke with his teeth blown out and an atty sticking out of the back of his head.

Siam Diesel likes this.