1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Help Travelling out of Thailand

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by scubajew, Feb 26, 2017.

1. scubajew

scubajew Thread Starter Member

Hi everyone.

Sadly I'm leaving the LOS and wanted to see if anyone out there has any advice on packing your equipment, any does and don'ts.

I spoke with the airline and they say i need to pack all my mods and batteries in my carry on separately, everything else can be put in check luggage. Has anyone heard of customs confiscating when leaving.

The destination country has no ban on them so I'm all good there, more curious about leaving from Bangkok.

Cheers

2. Johnny

Johnny vaporkings -johnny

Hey mate
    You will have no issues carrying your mod, ejuice or anything on board as i travel every month and sure of this.
    However any loose batteries such as 18650s must be put in your luggage

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

3. scubajew

Hey Johnny the airline said it needed to be in my carry-on not checked luggage, in your experience is that correct?

4. Johnny

I usually carry my mod and tank, a spare tank and also 5-6 bottles of juice on the plane with me
    If im traveling for a few weeks and have customers to see i will have at least 10 mods in my luggage and never had an issue.
    The airlines state that no loose batteries to be carried on board

5. Johnny

The airlines will always ask if you have any batteries in your luggage. I always say i have a few similar to AAA batteries and they always say its fine

6. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

Put your batteries in a plastic battery case or a silicone sleeve. I to the Thailand-Japan-America route and have never had a problem (current as of 2016). We'll see what happens this year :)

Siam Diesel likes this.
  7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

I'm traveling tomorrow...spare batteries and my Aio will be in carry-on since you cannot pack loose Li-Ion batts in your checked luggage! Everything else including juice, mods w/out batts, etc., will be in checked luggage.

Safe travel!

Sent from my P3 Ti...

AI-NAAM, Konvict, jpr and 2 others like this.
  8. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Current ICAO regs. prohibit carrying Li-Ion batts in checked luggage. That's why they now ask if you have a power bank in your suitcase. Check with your specific airlines for their rules on carrying on Li-Ion batts...most cover it on their websites these days.

Sent from my P3 Ti...

AI-NAAM, Konvict, Bantorvaper and 2 others like this.
  9. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

As SD pointed out, Johnny's above posts are INCORRECT.

Quote from IATA - Passenger Corner

Lithium batteries
    Whether a lithium battery can be carried by air or not depends on its configuration and either Watt-hour rating (for rechargeable) or lithium content (for non-rechargeable). In addition, spare batteries may not be placed in checked baggage. Find more information in the lithium battery passenger pamphlet (pdf)

Siam Diesel and Konvict like this.
  10. Johnny

Uhm i actually think i am correct. Knowing the fact i am between Australia, uk, usa and Thailand on average traveling twice per month then i think I know what im talking about mate.
    Regardless of who is right or wrong. We are all here to help and im only giving my opinion based on real facts
    All the best

11. Johnny

There are different types of lithium batteries by the way.
    Whenever you are about to check in and asked the question about lithium batteries and show them a picture of an 18650 or 26650.
    I have not had an issue whatsoever.
    I actually just got back from the US 3 days ago
    So this is also recent

12. scubajew

I spoke to the airline and they stated that 18650 should be carry-on. Worse case scenario is I stuff them in checked luggage at the last minute.

I think each airline has different policies, ill be traveling with Japan airlines to Canada. Let the community know what they say once I'm there.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  13. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

I do appreciate you posting your experience. But you are giving advice based on what you've gotten away with rather that what the airline reg's say which could get someone who takes your advice into trouble.
    Not to mention that lithium batteries do have the potential to cause a fire in the cargo hold, which is why these regulations exist.

You admit in your post that you have not been forthright with the airline.

Chili Pepper and Siam Diesel like this.
  14. Don

Don New Member

I have never had any problems with having batteries and vape gear in both checked and carry on luggage. I was once called to get rid of a zippo fluid bottle they found through the x-ray scan, but a couple of 18650s in the same bag passed.

I think everyone has a different experience as it much depends on the discretion of each airline agent. Practically most people are not aware of 18650 li-ion cells, they look like generic AAAs. So they are usually fine to travel with. But if you want to be safe, you should stick to the regulations and whatever the airline says. There's no air transportation expert here I guess, so don't consider these personal experiences as advices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AI-NAAM likes this.
  15. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

As we all know a triple A alkaline and a lithium ion battery are quite different, though they may look similar. This is what happens if your loose 18650 makes metal to metal contact in your bag:

So always make sure to put your loose 18650's in a protective box or sleeve.

This...

and this...

should not be placed in the same bag and put on a aircraft.

Doesn't take an expert to figure that one out.

Chili Pepper and Siam Diesel like this.