1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Tougher Regulations Coming

Discussion in 'E-News' started by Nakhonsisean, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

I cannot even imagine how tougher regulations would look like for e-cigs!

They already have a 100,000 baht fine for vendors and 50,000 for possession if getting caught, which is already an unbelievable amount compared with all other offenses in the same category and even a lot more than much worse offenses.

Harm reduction products is a real money maker here in Thailand and should be punished as hard as possible to keep the tax revenue from stinkies a float.

2. ozadr1an

ozadr1an Member

Anti-smoking drive features tobacco tax hike | Bangkok Post: news

*sigh*

I wish they could take the UK's NHS approach to this... they seem to take the opposite entirely...

Relevant Bits:
    "
    Meanwhile, the head of Chulalongkorn University's Drug Dependence Research Centre, Jitlada Areesantichai, said there was no evidence to support the popular belief that smoking electronic cigarettes can help wean a person off smoking conventional cigarettes.

She said many e-cigarettes are imported and sold illegally, mostly through websites.

New models of e-cigarettes are also promoted, which motivates young people to try out the products. This leads to many more becoming addicted, she said.

The researcher noted the centre was currently studying the amounts of nicotine in the e-liquids which fill the various types of e-cigarettes.

Research conducted by the centre on consumers of e-cigarettes found the subjects started smoking the e-cigarettes from the age of 16 out of curiosity and because friends asked them to smoke.

She said youngsters took up smoking e-cigarettes because they thought it would make them look cool and believed it would help them give up smoking conventional cigarettes more easily.

However, the study found many remained hooked on conventional cigarettes."

3. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Threads merged.

4. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

Here's the Thailand Tobacco Monopoly's idea of harm reduction:

In search of a healthier puff

Hemp seed oil can be mixed into cigarettes to reduce the quantity of nicotine and tar residues, and its flavour is similar to that of traditional cigarettes. Hemp rolling papers do not burn when they are lit, which reduces the dispersion of harmful cigarette smoke.
    In search of a healthier puff | Bangkok Post: business
    :no:
    Your still inhaling smoke and the tar and carbon monoxide that causes lung disease.

Other than quitting, there is no better harm reduction alternative to smoking than e-cigarettes.
    Smokefree | e-cigarettes

As for the "tougher regulation", I'm guessing it won't be any worse, but will better clarify different penalties between users, importers and vendors....but who knows.

5. Jazz2017

Jazz2017 Well-Known Member

Exactly, its the combustion of tobacco leaves that produces the tar and the nicotine. so even without the other 598 supposed chemicals found in stinkies, as long as you are burning tobacco then nicotine and tar will always be there, meaning even if you were smoking raw tobacco with no other additives then they are still not healthier.

Cash out-weighs common sense again tho. Depressing isnt it? :depressed:

farangmick and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. Rowdy
    Devilish

Rowdy Old broken down Vaper

Please correct me if I'm wrong!!!

A few months ago a report came out saying that nicotine
    is only as harmful as caffeine in a cup of coffee.

Governments all over the world have been putting the price
    stinkies up (Extra Tax) to discourage people from smoking
    that is a load of B/S. The Governments don't care about the people,they only care a bout the MONEY.

In Thailand its very common for these knee jerk reactions from the Government. They dont want to think it out "JUST BAN IT" that will fix the problem.

Rowdy (Very pissed off)

farangmick, Donkey, McKloud and 2 others like this.
  7. Donkey
    Amused

Donkey Well-Known Member

Funny i packed my shit and moved away from Pattaya (miss it like crazy btw) because of this draconian ban on vape. Now the President of this country "Philippines" is banning public smoking (including vape) I cant win LOL

Siam Diesel and Konvict like this.
  8. Konvict
    Relaxed

I think it is time for you to move back to Thailand and face it like a man! :unbelievable:

I mean of course stealth vaping everywhere you go and making sure the cops will not catch you, like we all do!:peep:

9. Jazz2017

Haha yeah, or just move to samui where they dont give a damn about vaping. They are too busy scraping drunk tourists with no helmets off the roads and harassing ferangs in Macro to make sure they have a work permit if they are buyng things that could be used in a business. :lost it: They really are trying to drive all non Thais out of the country, I wish we could do an experiment and just show them what would happen if they got their wish for just one month. Come on guys and gals, lets all go to vietnam for a month :p

10. winwin

winwin Birder on the run

Vaping helped me quit smoking. But, the fxxkup situation here makes me consider if I should stop vaping also.

11. fillmcavity
    Angelic

fillmcavity Serial Vapist

From the 1 June Bangkok Post article:
    Today's article in the Bangkok Post: Cigarette buying age raised to 20 | Bangkok Post: news

"Under the law, the minimum legal age for buying cigarettes is raised to 20 while the minimum legal age for selling tobacco is 18."

Not a word on any increase of the tobacco tax as stated previously. And not a word on the vaping scene either. Is no news, good news?

Siam Diesel likes this.
  12. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

They could shut down the Thai Tobacco Monopoly if they were serious about this...wishful thinking, I know. ;)

Konvict, Jazz2017 and fillmcavity like this.
  13. Jazz2017

[/QUOTE]
    They could shut down the Thai Tobacco Monopoly if they were serious about this...wishful thinking, I know. ;)[/QUOTE]

@Siam Diesel, your stand-up routine is coming along nicely. good work buddy :)

Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  14. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Badaboom, badabing...I'm here all week. :D

Konvict, jpr and Jazz2017 like this.
  15. Konvict
    Relaxed