1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Titanium Wire for Vaping

Discussion in 'Temperature Control board Talk' started by -V-, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Yes and you can do all sorts of different wire types. Easy to do by just downloading the TCR curves/formulas from steam engine and then using the Evolve Escribe app upload to the DNA200. SS316L, SS317L supported and I think NiFe30 as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Rev likes this.
  2. Scratchy
    Lurking

I haven't yet tried any SS variant. Happy enough with Ti and Ni200 for now. Would like to try sometime though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Darth Vaper
    Sick

Darth Vaper Keep Calm and Impose Your Will on Others

Jesus Tap Dancing Christ! After reading just about everything on this forum EXCEPT THIS and having a few TC mods for months and never rigging for TC mode - guess which wire some lucky vaper went out and bought today and just now set out to test a new build with?

F. U. ya, lousy universe! Who's fricken idea was it to even put this stuff out there? Why not Arsenic treated wire or polonium-210 pre-made coils?

Wah - Da - Fah?

Blech. Gonna vape it anyway since being a heath-nut is for jackaninnies but way to suck the fun out of this. Thanks a freaking lot.

4. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

On the plus side Darth.... your coils are way lighter with this :D

Siam Diesel likes this.
  5. Darth Vaper
    Sick

Darth Vaper Keep Calm and Impose Your Will on Others

failure to see the positive side of anything is the essence of hatred. Which is by what we should all define ourselves by so that we may utilize our very selves to focus and channel our hate as it flows through us and into the various forms of people and/or things that need striking down upon instruction to do so.

v 4 vendetta and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

Here Here!

cheers1.jpg

v 4 vendetta and Siam Diesel like this.
  7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. ;)
    :surprised: :rolling laugh:

v 4 vendetta and The Rev like this.
  8. Scratchy
    Lurking

Dude, you're killing me! Great!

Siam Diesel and v 4 vendetta like this.
  9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm, from whence comes these instructions, pray tell?
    Are there voices in your head, @Darth Vaper? ;)

Scratchy likes this.
  10. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

So after using Ti for a little while now I have come to like some parts and become annoyed with others. Now I have used it in both my RDAs as well as my Kayfun Lites and my Kayfun V4 with the Kayfuns getting most of the attention. I dig the vape the Ti provides when I have things dialed in. Really it's nearly identical to my kanthal vape with just a little more time "in the zone" of the hit. I am able to use the same amount of wraps around the same size mandrel to use the wattage to fool around with the ramp up to get it right where I want it. I can fiddle with the temps to allow the different flavors to come out as well. It just allows me to tweak the vape much easier than the way I used to with amount of wraps, mandrel sizes and wire guages. On the other hand I have become frustrated with the constant fiddling. For some reason there are a lot of inconsistencies to the vape depending on how the mod is reading the ohms at the moment. I find myself loosening and tightening the atties trying to get a good low ohm reading otherwise the vape is not as hot or lively as it was before. The Kayfun V4 is the worst due to an issue in the design using a spring as a conductor but I still deal with it in the Kayfun lite and to much less an extent with my RDAs. I have a part on the way to hopefully fix the V4 but knowing it even happens with the KFLs, I expect it's still going to somewhat be an issue. The other thing is the fact that I can't just dry fire to burn off and renew the coils. They do last longer before they buildup the gunk but this is a drag for me. Just when I feel I've got all the fiddlyness worked out the coil starts to peter out because it's coated with the caramelized shellac of juices past. So for now..... I'm going back to Kanthal. I can trust it to give me the same vape time after time with no fiddling and dry burn to have a nice new coil in seconds. I have put an order in for Stainless Steel wire now and will revisit TC once it shows up. That ought to give me the ability to dry fire without fear and hopefully with the part for the V4 coming in will allow me a perfect vape.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Scratchy, taotoo and Siam Diesel like this.
  11. Scratchy
    Lurking

If you have inconsistencies either your coils legs aren't as secure as they really should be, the mod or atty has poor Ti support, an internal resistance issue (KV4's often pointed out as having though mine all seem to be OK even prior to spring updates) or possibly the Ti wire may have qualities where a Mod/chipset is tuned for another type (or range of types) and it may not be working properly with the kind you have. If you are locking your resistance and it's happening, that's another sign. Have you done that? Personally, I haven't really had to do it but have tried it.

Many folks just abandon Ti mode and use Ni200 mode instead with the temp dialed down. I have to do that with my Sigelei 75W and have experimented with other TC mods and it can work great, sometimes noticeably better than Ti mode.

I can appreciate not wanting to rebuild often. Compared to yourself and others here, I must have a good tolerance to coils gunking some as it hasn't often become an issue for me. Right now I do have one older build, like a month old and it's definitely time. Even I cannot handle the off-flavor any more!

Have you tried a very low-wattage, mild heating of the coils and soft toothbrush sort of cleaning? Heads-up: Don't try to do the coil heating with an IPVD2 or other mod that doesn't do step down.

Just tryin' to help :)

The Rev likes this.
  12. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

What'll happen is that I will be using a tank for a while and then swap out to another and use it for a while locking them each in when I first screw them down. The issue is that for some reason it won't be giving the same vape it did when I used it before. So then I have to make sure to watch the ohms and try to remember where they are at when I'm happy with them so that I can unscrew and screw them down, set the ohms and try to match it to what it was when it was good. The Coils are good and tight. I think the issue is that sometimes the connection at the 510 is what's varying a little. Of course the issue is bigger with the KFv4 as it adds 2 extra contact points. It makes the difference between a snapping and popping whipped cream can squirted into your mouth to somewhat soft damp breeze.
    A lot of the times I will keep the same Kanthal coils running for weeks and sometimes months. I do have to say that I am seriously impressed with how long the Ti coils stay clean. Once they seem to have had a thick layer of caramelized juice (Still nothing like the black Kanthal Coils) I've tried cleaning them and have even done a low watt light orange dry burn. That kind of worked but still didn't seem to have the same zip as new and the coil just started looking haggard. I wound up wrapping a new coil which was like a night and day difference. This is where I have high hopes with the SS wire. Having the longevity of TC coils and then the ability to renew the coil with a good dry burn and quench will give me the benefits of both sides.

The thing is that right now I've been busy learning and fiddling since I started playing with the Ti wire. I guess maybe I need a little break so I can just vape and not be thinking about it so much. Kanthal is just easy, consistent and dependable. I suppose it's like anything... it'll just take time to get good at it.

13. Scratchy
    Lurking

Beyond previous suggestions, if you're having to do this sort of stuff, something's just not right. I just haven't ever had any issues like this across all my TC devices and I'm swapping attys all the time. As you suspect, maybe it is the 510!

Yeah, it sounds like it lest you get turned off TC completely and never try it again. I used to think about it a lot too at first but most of that was trying to get used to the experience and simply adjusting the set temp to find what I liked. It wasn't lots of fiddling with connections, checking resistance readings or the like. :(

The Rev likes this.
  14. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

Well in case it is something to do with the 510, I've placed an order for an SXK Nebula Zero Mini. It has the ability to set Purity so it'll operate right with SS ..... I'm not about to give up on TC.

15. Mack
    Relaxed

Mack Well-Known Member

Dam you, wops sorry Rev, 3 hail marys and an our father, thats just another reason I want one of these Zero Minis, just taken delivery of some Ti, despite my previous stance on poisonous metals to see what all the fuss is about.

Neilly and The Rev like this.