1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Titanium Wire for Vaping

Discussion in 'Temperature Control board Talk' started by -V-, Feb 22, 2015.

1. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

2. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

A quick update from the OP:

In February we posted a blog article outlining our understanding of the issues surrounding titanium wire, information we felt was important to share due to the growing popularity of the wire and our position as a leading vendor of rebuildable materials. We have continued to look into the subject and would like to update the position to keep you all aware of current developments.

[​IMG]As you might be aware, we purchased 30,000 metres of top grade Ti wire and the full three kilometres of it is still lurking underneath a pile of jumpers and spare Christmas wrapping paper. Despite providing a cleaner vape to Kanthal we felt it prudent not to sell it due to its combustibility on the mods available at the time.

With the number of temperature controlled devices now out in the marketplace we have seen that the proclivity for titanium to burst into flames has been greatly reduced. Despite this positive result we strongly caution against using titanium as a standard resistance wire – it is unsuitable for dry burning and poses a risk when over-heated.

It is springier to work with than tempered Ni200 but we are pleased to see that the development of temperature-controlled boards appears to have facilitated a way of using this wire in a safer manner. Also, annealed titanium has entered the market and appears to be much easier to work with. Titanium wire also appears to be less prone to oxidation than alternatives due to the low oxygen content of the metal, which may well prove to be a positive in the long run.

We should point out that we are not trying to instil a sense of fear; we see it as our duty as responsible vendors of vaping accessories to act responsibly and keep our customers informed. We welcome exciting advances in vaping technology and are proud to have been part of some of them.

Manufacturers of boards utilising titanium wire assure us that it is safe for use and we’re happy to trust them to bear the responsibility of that statement. Our concern remains that vapers should not be tempted to use titanium wire coils in mods not designed precisely for the purpose of using it.

Titanium Wire Update

3. monkey39
    Cheerful

monkey39 Well-Known Member

Hmm, I've been doing fine with Kanthal, and now with nickel - don't really see a need for titanium for me.

4. Mack
    Relaxed

Mack Well-Known Member

I personally agreed with them for not selling it, nothing has changed it still strikes me as not a safe metal to use and it looks like there taking the opportunity to off load this and shift the responsibility.

5. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Had a cool visit from @The Rev and his lovely wife today and we talked about vaping with Ni200 and Ti-1. It reminded me of this blog I ran across some time ago: How to wrap Ti coils for vaping

Note, I do not make contact coils with Ti-1 and I do not dry burn. Personal preference and it should not be needed if you go with spaced coils and you have you coil legs very secure. I check resistance after wicking and juicing and if it looks right and stable (and so far it always has been) I feel I am good to go.

Do recommend cleaning of the wire.

6. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

I think I've made my feelings fairly clear about Nickel vs Titanium. Nickel leaches into fluid just like lead and it is causes cancer. Ti on the other hand only becomes a danger if brought very close to it's melting point, something that isn't ever done on a proper Temperature Control mod. Of course you do not ever want to use it on a mechanical mod or regulated mod. I've had one form or another of a TC device for a couple weeks now but haven't had any TC wire to try it out. I was about to pick up some Ni200 so I could at least give TC a try but luckily I found some 26ga. Ti wire here locally and was able to give it a try on both my Istick 40w as well as my IPVD2. I was surprised at how easy it was to work with. It didn't seem any different to working with Kanthal other than it was a little springy to work with at first. As soon as I straightened a piece, twisting it with a drill and pliers the springyness was no longer a factor. After straightening it I wiped it down very well with a piece of cotton and alcohol until it was squeaky clean and then went on to wrap a 2.5mm 6 wrap spaced coil for my kayfun lite. The coil came in at .234 ohms. To be honest, my theory worked so well I was disappointed. Titanium has a beautiful range of colors it takes on depending on the heat applied to it. Well it needs to at least reach a 640°F to come to it's first color, tan/Bronze. So I couldn't get any color from the titanium coils as the TC mod wouldn't adjust that high. So there is another fail safe. If you cannot get your Ti Coils to change color, it cannot have any Titanium oxide on them. Just make sure to clean them in the first place. I think next time around I may rub it down with steel wool or a scotch brite pad before the alcohol wipe down just to be extra safe.

ckapp and Mack like this.
  7. Scratchy
    Lurking

I've never seen this reported before in any of the TC threads but may have missed it. Do you have a link to this info?

8. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

It's possible that I have just made a wrong assumption but if people taste when they are vaping an Ni200, pure Nickel coil, I would imagine it couldn't be anything but nickel that they are tasting. There are many people who have reactions to foods cooked with certain stainless steel pans containing Nickel as well. Is it possible these are just a bunch of whack jobs such as those that claim to have a problem with MSG? Possibly, but it seems to be a pretty good sized group who have issues with vaping on Nickel. Do they have issues with gluten as well? That would probably be a good question to help qualify the whole situation.

Scratchy likes this.
  9. Scratchy
    Lurking

I do prefer Ti-1 for its higher resistance and workability but with the way I vape and build I feel pretty good with using Ni200 as well. As for flavor or taste, it does seem that the Ti-1 is cleaner in some way but I cannot be sure about that. I may have just bought into the idea more than it being true. Both of them vape very nicely with a solid build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rev likes this.
  10. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

If possible, I would edit my original post to read:

Ti-1 only becomes a danger if brought very close to it's melting point, something that isn't ever done on a proper Temperature Control mod. Of course you do not ever want to use it on a mechanical mod or regulated mod. I've had one form or another of a TC device for a couple weeks now but haven't had any TC wire to try it out. I was about to pick up some Ni200 so I could at least give TC a try but luckily I found some 26ga. Ti wire here locally and was able to give it a try on both my Istick 40w as well as my IPVD2. I was surprised at how easy it was to work with. It didn't seem any different to working with Kanthal other than it was a little springy to work with at first. As soon as I straightened a piece, twisting it with a drill and pliers the springyness was no longer a factor. After straightening it I wiped it down very well with a piece of cotton and alcohol until it was squeaky clean and then went on to wrap a 2.5mm 6 wrap spaced coil for my kayfun lite. The coil came in at .234 ohms. To be honest, my theory worked so well I was disappointed. Titanium has a beautiful range of colors it takes on depending on the heat applied to it. Well it needs to at least reach a 640°F to come to it's first color, tan/Bronze. So I couldn't get any color from the titanium coils as the TC mod wouldn't adjust that high. So there is another fail safe. If you cannot get your Ti Coils to change color, it cannot have any Titanium oxide on them. Just make sure to clean them in the first place. I think next time around I may rub it down with steel wool or a scotch brite pad before the alcohol wipe down just to be extra safe.​

Unfortunately, the forum software doesn't allow editing after some parameter I am unaware of. I hope at some point in the future we all can find more testing has been done to help us feel better about our decisions.

Scratchy likes this.
  11. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

You should be able to edit a post within an hour of posting...

The Rev likes this.
  12. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

Thank you SD.... I was wondering what the cutoff was.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  13. .patrick
    Angelic

.patrick Seasoned Vaper

To your tests: tempcontrol wires have low resistances and they do change as tempcontrol needs it to change to regulate the temperature. With the color change, it happens to nickel as well (I assume it cools down and stops leaching/oxidizing..?).

So what should we use for temperature control

14. monkey39
    Cheerful

monkey39 Well-Known Member

Is it true that with the DNA 200 chip you can use temp control with stainless steel wire, as long as you enter the wire profile?

15. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Yep, that's my understanding. @Scratchy should be able to confirm...he has one. ;)