1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Not Vape Related Thinking about getting myself a new motorbike

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vapers Lounge' started by jon, Mar 31, 2016.

1. jon
    Mellow

jon Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about getting myself a new motorbike for a while.
    Had one when I was younger and enjoyed driving around, and since I got time for it now why not.

Been looking at the Yamaha MT-07 and believe something like that would suit me well.
    I want something easy to handle and giving a pleasant trip on a tour to let say Chang Mai or similar.

I have no interest of tinkering with mechanical issues and would like something uncomplicated ☺

If I'm not mistaken there are several members in here with knowledge in this area so any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Siam Diesel likes this.
  2. dl12345

dl12345 Well-Known Member

I have owned quite a few large capacity bikes (most recently a Kawasaki ZZR1400 and a Honda CBF-1000). I think the MT-07 is very much a city bike and not so well suited for longer trips due to the complete lack of a fairing and screen. The wind blast over a period of time will get quite tiring. It's also a parallel twin, and the vibrations from the engine tend to transmit more through the handlebars than an inline-four, so this becomes a factor in long trips. I'm also not sure that there is much by way of luggage options for a MT-07, which you will need for a long trip.

You might want to consider something like a Kawasaki Versys (in 650cc or 1000cc versions), although it's also a parallel twin engine. In the Yamaha range, there is the FZ1 which is a fabulously versatile bike although substantially more expensive than the MT-07 and admittedly it's also quite a big step up from the MT-07.

In a similar style to the Versys, there is the BMW F800 GS which would be well suited to the usage model you describe, although also more expensive than the Yamaha.

jon, peter-k and Siam Diesel like this.
  3. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

Now me I'm a cruiser rider. Large V twin, no fairing, thunping down the highway. BUT I have very little knowledge of what is available in Thailand as I just haven't really looked yet, although I am slowly startig to look now.

4. farangmick
    Worried

farangmick Well-Known Member

Hi Jon. MT7 gets rave reviews in the press. Don't know your age or experience, but mega horsepower is wasted in Los. I would like the new Triumph Street Twin, but a lack of dealers in the sticks means I'll probably go for a Honda. A mate got an ER6 from a Kawa "Main Dealer" in Nakon Sawan, and when the first problem cropped up, it had to go back to BKK.
    Choice of bikes easy peasy if you live in Bangkok, or other big cities, but not in the sticks.

jon, Siam Diesel and peter-k like this.
  5. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

Yes the MT-07 is an agile city bike. I don't see her bad on long haul trips for a solo rider, and if you are not much taller than may be about 1.80 m, and want to have clean air-flow.
    I also found the engine pretty smooth in the important riding areas. The pulsing of a 2 cylinder for me is easy to take anyway. But that might be individually different for people.
    What it sure is not is a 2-up tourer. The rear seat is a torture rack. The Versys is the better tourer, clearly, without completely loosing in the city traffic. But it'd be not quite as agile and the engine not as emotional.

farangmick likes this.
  6. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

I have ridden the MT-09. You get an extra cylinder and the torque is in a perfect RPM range for zipping through the city. Every rider likes something different. My tastes have changed over the years. I'm too old and fat for the 1000 cc sport bikes but a nice upright position with similar power suits me just fine. I personally don't think the MT line would make a good touring bike but it is great for around town and short trips.

farangmick likes this.
  7. dl12345

dl12345 Well-Known Member

Ditto. That's why I like the FZ1...upright riding position, heaps of torque, half-fairing, comfortable seat, versatile enough to go out on a long trip or use in the city.

farangmick and jon like this.
  8. kurt
    Blah

kurt Well-Known Member

Let us know when you get your wheels... there are a few of us on here that do road trips and would be happy to take you under our wings and get some rubber on the road.

P.S. Sumai Bike Week is May 6th and 7th 2016. Hint hint

Kurt

jon likes this.
  9. Neilly
    Lurking

Neilly Flavour Chaser

There's lots to choose from in Thailand now...best thing to do is hire whatever takes your fancy for a few days and see if you like it before parting with cash.

Here's a little comparison for you....

10. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

OOOOOOOH!!!! I may have to speed up looking at bikes. lol

11. peter-k
    Fine

Sure, the dual sport Suzuki would also be a thought if I lived rural.

12. jon
    Mellow

Loads of good info here :).
    Its almost 30 years since I parked my motor bike for the last time. Since then the biggest bike I've sit on has been a 125cc I've done a little refresh driving every year and kept up my licence, but that's about all. So I will be a very careful driver. I want speed and power enough to handle the normal traffic rhythm and get some nice wind in the face. I'm 53 now so I got plenty of time on the road.
    And it will be solo driving, my wife may jump on for a grocery shopping but that's that.

But as mentioned up here, I really need to have a look at the different dealers around this area too,that will be important for me. Udon Thani and Sakon Nakhon will be the closest bigger cities for me.
    **Updated**
    A very valid point, and a thing I really should have looked at hard as a first point.
    **Updated**
    Will have a look at this one too. Size and handling is important for me obviously, so a 1000cc or there about is much to big for me. Around the 600c would be good for me I believe. Not so much city life where I live so that is not that important ;-)

Siam Diesel and farangmick like this.
  13. peter-k
    Fine

Oh, you are a beginner.
    I was very much surprised about the engine power of the MT-07. It feels like a bigger engine. But you'll need self-cintrol with it.

14. jon
    Mellow

Very much so. Was driving for some years, but 30 years ago. But today I consider myself very much as a beginner :). But I have a swiss friend that's been driving a variety of big bikes for years so hopefully he will assist in whipping me in shape.

15. kurt
    Blah

kurt Well-Known Member

LOL.. Udon.. that would be a very nice trip.. we have a couple riders coming from Udon and Loei for the trip.

I'd suggest maybe renting a bike and doing some short runs to see which one you like.

jon and Siam Diesel like this.