1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

The snus alternative

Discussion in 'The Thailand Quit Smoking Discussion' started by AI-NAAM, Mar 21, 2017.

1. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Thread Starter Provarinati Member

Started this thread to answer @Axel. Didn't want to continue highjacking the "law" thread.

- is it not making your teeth yellow ?
    Not that I've noticed. Certainly no more than smoking does.

- is it easy to speak with snus in the mouth ?
    No problem once you get use to it. If you watched Snubie's video he always has a snus in his mouth and it's not noticeable when he's talking.

- can you have a drink with snus in the mouth ?
    I've drank with a snus in. Also slept with a snus in (not recommended, gave me wicked dreams).

- how long do you usually keep it in the mouth before throwing ?
    Depending on the brand, flavor can last up to 2 hours. The nicotine starts to kick-in within a few minutes with a regular portion and takes about 10 minutes with a white portion.

And to help ordering:
    - any flavor to advise for beginner ? Maybe Whiskey as I like butterscotch for my juice ?

Snus is tobacco. The flavor versions (to me, and I haven't tried many flavored snus) taste like tobacco with highlights of the flavors. If you've gotten use to vaping only cupcakes and lollipops you may not like snus.

A couple of mild ones I like are Göteborgs Rapé (citrus), Ettan (slight coco note).
    You can get these and a variety of minty and flavored snus on websites like SnusCentral and BuySnus. The products on SiamSnus are all very tobacco centric and probably will not be to your liking as a beginner.

- which kind the most handy, the white portion maybe?
    Regular portions kick-in faster. White portions last longer.
    As for size, Slim or Mini portions are the most comfortable under the lip.

See here for an explanation of the different types of snus.

- which nicotine rate for a chain vaper?
    Start with regular strength.

Some beginner flavor recommendations in this video:

A vaper reviews snus:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Tibo, Axel, Konvict and 1 other person like this.
  2. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for this thread!

Siam Diesel likes this.
  3. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

@AI-NAAM Do you import from OS at all?

I ask as a Thai friend is interested so I. Asked Sian Snus. He told me that posting in is basically t he same as for cigs, although you can bring it in yourself at the airport up to 250g.

4. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

Yes. Small orders, around 5 cans per package.

5. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

I see SiamSnus has a new product called Mild White that may be a good one for a beginner to try.

Description from the website:
    Siamsnus Mild White is a weaker Snus compared to our other flavors. If you like pouch snus with taste of cured Tobacco we are sure you will like this kind.

Heres a couple of Swedish articles on getting snus in Thailand:
    Så köper du svenskt snus i Thailand - Thaininjan - En svensk blogg om Thailand
    Så fixar du snus i Thailand - Vagabond

You can run them through google translate to get an English version:
    Google Translate

Siam Diesel and Longtail1 like this.
  6. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

Very good articles there. Thanks @AI-NAAM

It seems to be the same as Vaping in as much as normal postage is to be used rather than Express services and that the worst you can get is that you pay the duties as it is legal here.

Nice to know

My Thai friend has an order in with Siam Snus atm, although I don't remember the mild white on the order. I'll pass it on to him for next time.

Thanks for all the info. Been having a few no vaping or nicotine problems myself due to family pressure at home so if necessary I will go to Snus rather than back to vaping. Noticed a few surprise results when I stopped vaping and would prefer not to go back to it myself.

Siam Diesel and AI-NAAM like this.
  7. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

Happy to help.

I don't plan on completely giving up vaping, but it's nice to know I have another safer alternative to fall back on if vaping continues to becomes too difficult in Thailand.

I only vape when I'm at home now, so I've yet to go a full day using snus exclusively. But when I don't have my mod around I don't seem to miss it as long as I have some snus.

Longtail1 likes this.
  8. V4Vendetta

V4Vendetta Member

I just ordered 4 flavors (white) from siamsnus. I will arrive to BKK tomorrow and hope to try this out over the weekend or next week.

Konvict and AI-NAAM like this.
  9. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

What flavours did you get?
    Can you let us know what you think of them?
    Do you use Snus atm? If yes how do they compare?

10. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

Just received today the siamsnus white portion RAPPE... arch, it is much too strong for me !
    The taste is nice, remembered me my pipe tobacco with plenty of fruity flavours. But also remembered me the first tobacco pipe I tried, was still young and smoked it all full in only one time : such a big nausea followed afterwards Then, today, after 5 min having the snus in, started to get the same... hopefully, bought only 1 box, just for testing purpose

AI-NAAM, Siam Diesel and Konvict like this.
  11. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

I was reading on a Suns forum today that if you flatten them and fold them in half length ways and then insert them this slows down the nicotine release. Unfortunately it slows the flavour release as well. No idea if it works but might be worth a shot?

12. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

Sure, will give it a try!

Fast try done and failed again...

By flattening the snus this time, I noticed quite big amount of yellow "juice" spreading onto my fingers... after putting the snus in, it is normally compressed between my libs and my teeth : juice is then still coming out, it is like very spicy on my tongue and when it reaches my throat : terrible !

I imagine if I would eat a cigarette instead of smoking it, would get some similar results

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Konvict and AI-NAAM like this.
  13. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

Now you know what snus is like. Like I said, it ain't cupcakes and lollipops.

You started off with some strong snus. All of the products at siamsnus are strong traditional flavors with maybe the exception of mild white. The nicotine content of siamsnus is between 12-15 milligrams. Most of the popular Swedish snus that you can order from overseas is around 8.5 mg.

My first experience with snus was the same. First tried some siamsnus. Couldn't keep it in very long but I loved the nicotine kick.

Next I tracked down a can of General Snus from a local Swedish restaurateur in my town. General is 8.5mg nicotine and was much more to my liking.

Then I tried some different brands by ordering a variety of from overseas. Now 6 months later I can handle the strong (15mg) portions, but have settled in around 8mg.

Currently using Grov Snus regular portion 8.5mg, has a strong tobacco taste with a medium nicotine kick.

If you wish to continue, here's some recommendations. These are milder portions that I like:
    Göteborgs Rapé White Mini Portion 8mg
    Ettan 7mg
    General White Mini Portion 8mg
    Catch Licorice Mini Portion 8mg

You may like these, I haven't tried them myself:
    mocca Mint Mini Portion 5mg
    mocca Lakrits Mini Portion 5mg
    Offroad Apple White Mini Portion 8mg
    Offroad Licorice White Mini Portion 8mg

The nicotine content listed is per gram, so a mini portion is going to be a weaker nicotine level than a regular portion.
    **Updated**
    If your not ready to give up yet, you might try taking a new pouch, open the end and dump half or more of the tobacco out, fold it over and put it in.
    Should be less nicotine and drip then.

Siam Diesel and Axel like this.
  14. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

Yes, for sure, I remember your advice since the first thread warning me that the siamsnus is very strong, and I confirm !
    Nevertheless, for just a first attempt, I was not sure to order from foreign just for a single box, with the shipping cost and delays... the reason why I bought the siamsnus, so easy and received in 2 days !
    Now, not sure, still looking orders from foreign as quite complicated, so... I will look for Swedish farang nearby home, they may use snus and give me the opportunity to test one

Siam Diesel and AI-NAAM like this.
  15. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

Here's another snus reviewer for those interested.
    YouTube channel Stiff Upper Lip, Swedish snus reviews in English by a Swede.

Konvict, Longtail1 and Siam Diesel like this.