1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

The Cost of Good Batteries / Battery Safety Links

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by Siam Diesel, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Thread Starter Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Sony has been playing the "unsafe" card for many years...it's a CYA measure from their lawyers. They sold their battery business in 2016-7 to Murata but green Sony batts are still widely available.

If you only need a couple of batteries, you might look locally. If you're going to be using them for low wattage MTL vaping, just about any battery will work. However, if you're going to be sub-ohming and approaching the upper amp limit on a battery, then you would want to make sure that you've got a battery that will be able to handle the load.

Check out "battery Mooch" on FB or the ECF forum...he lists a few trusted vendors IIRC. I've also purchased batteries out of the UK...Keith at Creme de Vape (UK) may be willing to ship internationally and the Royal Mail postage isn't too bad. I think the max. number he'll ship is 6 batteries.

jpr and debatedude like this.
  2. Ben2vape

Ben2vape Well-Known Member

Ok. For now I'm going for a dual 18650 (Oumier Rudder) instead of my initial 21700 single battery choice - mostly for TC vaping at pretty low wattages - so even pretty bad cells should cope. It's pretty small (Vaping with Vic on Youtube said he's very impressed at how they nailed TC) and cheap too.
    **Updated**
    Thanks - added to the shopping folder... but 1100 for Fedex isn't cheap.

3. Fastoche

Fastoche Well-Known Member

Good place to buy batteries in bkk : stall in fortune town.
    Hi,
    Sorry I didn't read all this thread before to post.
    I bought a pair of Sony vtc6 in a small stall at Fortune town.
    Paid 500thb for 2. Cheaper than most seller around.
    They really seem to be genuine and they last very long, more than 1000 puffs at 12-14 watts ≈0.7 ohms.
    This stall has quite a lot of different kind/brands of batteries and chargers.
    It is near the elevators in the middle of fortune. As far as I can remember (getting old) it is on the 2nd floor (G floor/1st/2nd). It is not a real shop but a stall near the elevators in a kind of "free space without shops".
    Didn't have time to chat with him that day but the guy is friendly and quite sure (what he sells, the way he looks) he knows about vaping.

I bought another pair in Lazada. Definitely fake Sony but working fine as they last quite long before to charge and don't get too warm when using or charging. But as I have many Sony vtc I can tell they are fake. Paid 550thb (for 2) forgot if it was free delivery.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  4. Ben2vape

Thanks - good information. Having bought Ladda from Ikea I'm aware that batteries here (unlike in the UK) are not always as good - China sourced instead of Japan sourced Laddas were more prone to leaks etc - however they still earned their keep.

I ordered some from Ali - they're coming in free torches (as they can't ship batteries) and just cleared customs - but I'll definitely be on the lookout at Fortune if I'm ever around that way for a backup pair.

Actually I'm sure that you won't get a full test vaping at 12 watts - the differences will appear at higher power.

The reason I am picking up a dual 18650 mod is that even under-rated cheap cells should manage to fulfil my needs unless I suddenly change from a smoker into a sub-ohm cloud demon.

I'm already feeling the change - MTL seems less satisfying to me now than a slow restricted lung draw.

Fastoche and SooKee like this.
  5. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

There's a lot to be said for being one! :devilish:
    Agreed

Bantorvaper, SooKee and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. Ben2vape

Nice low power vape - what kind of tank/coil/juice? spill the beans :p

Fastoche likes this.
  7. Fastoche

Mods : Alien and g-320 from smok, a very old smok X m80 plus, 3 very old eleaf Istick 40 and 50 watts and a small one from Joytech, forgot its name.
    Tanks : 3 Squape rs, 1 Squape Emotion, 3 Kayfun v5 (only 1:1 clones).
    Coil : ss 316 26 and 28 awg, single coils from 0.6 to 1.2 ohms (2.5 and 3mm).
    Juices : home made. A personal recipe with maxx blend as main flavour, another one with ry4 as main flavour, catalan cream, vanilla-custard.
    Mainly MTL. Not crazy about DTL sub-ohms. Tried for a while with a griffin 25 with home made twisted ss-nichrome dual coils. It was funny to make huge clouds but not good enough to bother. Griffin is in its box for ages.
    Happy with this. Not looking for new gear, new trends. Conservative vaper ?
    **Updated**
    I agree. What I'm looking at is how many puffs I can take until I have to charge them and then how many years they last. Bought some vtc4 years ago, still working great. Bought some basen and LG at the same time, recently one LG became boiling while charging (after many years) so I stopped using it. Still using the other one.
    Basen have been working fine for years but they don't last long any more.
    So from my long term "test", Sony vtc4/5/6 are the best batteries I ever got.
    Awc, got one pair, red : crap.
    Vape on.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    jpr and Siam Diesel like this.
  8. Ben2vape

Well I had a mooch around Fortune today - couldn't find anyone near any lifts... but there is a long red-fronted shop on the top floor, a general electrical/electronic/junk store (I bought a cheap 12v supply there a while back) and spotted a few 18650's in a glass cabinet... told the guy I need like 30 A rating, and he pulled two green sony's. One a C4 priced 230 and the other a C5 at 260.

I'll see how my Golishi's cope first -Cleared customs 2019-01-14 at 17:26:00 and my Mod was released the same day at 14:29... so I'm feeling pretty chuffed right now... just need the tank to follow on.

Funny you say that being 'conservative' isn't looking to new trends... you vape SS316L coils low power and that's something I'm seeing a lot in development watching some Youtube subscriptions the last few months. Just last year these guys always apologised looking at pod systems etc and were always keen to show off super sub-ohm tanks. Now they're appreciating that a lot of smokers don't really want to change what they do much - more power and bigger tanks just uses much more juice and is far less subtle. I still find my S8 pod system very satisfying for a very tight MTL draw - you have to work it to draw a decent lungful, then you get a very sweet butterscotch/pastry/custard hit.

Nothing new/old about it, but a lot of vapers tend to frown on anyone doing things differently (like a Juul clone 'tesla GG' stick with no buttons, but you can set Voltage and/or Temperature control via bluetooth).

Eleaf just brought out a very cheap and rather nice looking stick (pods coming at about 60 baht each) recently - nothing 'old' about it... but I want to be able to play with coils and cotton.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Siam Diesel likes this.
  9. Fastoche

Hi,
    Sorry you couldn't find it. I saw him about 2 weeks ago when I went to buy a battery for a ups at Amorn ("the long red-fronted shop on the top floor").
    Maybe he is already gone.
    At least you could find some Sony at Amorn and they were not expensive. I didn't know they had some, never looked for it. Thanks for the information.
    "Conservative vaper" was not a really serious assertion. I'm just not looking at new gears as I'm satisfied with what I already have.
    Vape on.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  10. Ben2vape

Despite being marked as 'arrived' and 'failed delivery' last night at 2330, they were handed to me just now - Mod and batteries - so we'll see how it goes.

Meanwhile some pics, and maybe an update if they fail to satisfy. I must say that the GS-drive is a very different animal with a bit of extra power (from the Amnis battery up to 20W on this mod) actually giving some flavour...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Fastoche

Hi,
    I went to Fortune town today. The small stall with some 18650 batteries and chargers is still there.
    It's in the middle of the 3rd floor (if ground floor is 1st), just next to the elevators near the area with music shops.
    Today he was also selling other stuff like laptop's batteries and chargers, second hand desktop dvd drives and other electronic gears.
    Vape on.

Siam Diesel, moonoy93 and jpr like this.
  12. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Thread Starter Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Just received a shipment of Murata/Sony VTC6's from Nkon.nl. All-in cost including FedEx shipping, 10% TH Customs & 7% TH VAT was just under EUR 6.00 per battery (I ordered a boatload). ;)

It took about 5 weeks to get here because it had to go through Germany; they use a company in Berlin for the FedEx portion and that took almost 3 weeks. I'm set for batteries for a few years!