1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

The Cost of Good Batteries / Battery Safety Links

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by Siam Diesel, Nov 25, 2014.

1. dl12345

dl12345 Well-Known Member

I have about 10 LG HG2s, bought from two local vendors over the course of about a year or so. In most cases I remove the sticker on the battery to look at the markings, although I had a couple where I hadn't bothered to do so. The other day I was getting a weak battery vape on one of them on full charge and decided to take a closer look at all my LG HG2s with the help of the batterybro article on fake LG HG2s.

The offending battery was one of the ones with a sticker which I hadn't removed, so of course I removed it to have a look. Immediately I could see it was fake (see photo) as the printing was so poor and had bled because of the sticker glue. I didn't even need to examine these two further.

Of the other 8 batteries, two of them I think are authentic: the date codes are valid and the white insulator rings are non-reflective although the printing is smaller font than most of the other HG2s I have (which considering what follows is probably a good thing!)

Another two I'm uncertain of. The date codes appear to be 0209 or O2O9. However, a numeric character in the first position is not valid and a non-numeric in the third position is not valid. On these batteries characters one and three are clearly the same, so it's a probable fake.

Another four have 0203 codes or O2O9 codes, so same problem again with numeric/non-nnumeric, although these ones have clearly reflective white insulators. So they're definitely fake.

So out of 10 LG HG2s, only two of them are probably authentic, but by this stage I've lost all confidence in them so plan on binning the lot.

My Sony VTC4 and VTC5As seem to check out as do my Samsung 25Rs.

Caveat emptor. Beware buying LG HG2s in LOS - there seem to be many fakes on the market

20170130_051251.jpg

Siam Diesel likes this.
  2. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

^If you clean off the sticky stuff, the printing is fine. I've had authentic batteries with the same label on them. The re-sellers put the label over the code so we won't know we are buying batteries that are at least a year old.

Not that I am denying that your batteries are fake...I am just stating that a label over the battery code is a common practice, even with authentic batteries.

SooKee and Siam Diesel like this.
  3. Jazz2017

Jazz2017 Well-Known Member

a_spirit likes this.
  4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Thread Starter Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Konvict and CumulusMaxim like this.
  5. a_spirit
    Angelic

a_spirit Swedish n00b

I almost only use vtv5a both on regulated and mech, but if i go low on mech i use pink lg hb6 , but then i have to change battery often but thats ok since i can push it little harder Than Vtc5a

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

debatedude, Jazz2017 and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. Jazz2017

On Average, how long will a battery last you in a mech? running at around 0.15/0.2 ohms?

7. debatedude
    No Mood

The LG HB 6 at 0.15 ohms is running really close to its lower safety limit. You only have a 7% headroom. And you'll only be able to run for about 4 continuous minutes ( or 40-45 5-second hits). Personally, I try to keep my amp headroom at 20% or above. I hate it when batteries overheat and vent.

At 0.2 ohms, the LG HB-6 now has 30% headroom (it will run much cooler, less chance of overheating and venting) and you'll have more run time as well; 5 minutes of continuous running, or about 50-54 5-second hits.

These figures are based on a mech mod with no stacking.

Siam Diesel and Jazz2017 like this.
  8. Jazz2017

This confirms that i will be pretty much staying away from mechs then, I really dont fancy changing out batteries 10+ times per day. :)

9. a_spirit
    Angelic

a_spirit Swedish n00b

To be honest, i dont know

10. a_spirit
    Angelic

a_spirit Swedish n00b

At 0.20-0.23 with a singelcoil on a singel mech Squonker i change battery 2-3 Times a day, in a tube i dont do over 0.11 and i dont take 10sec pulls, i take 2-4sec

debatedude and Siam Diesel like this.
  11. debatedude
    No Mood

I use dual coils at 0.25 ohms on my Nemesis or Cartel. Weekends will see me go through 4-5 HB-6s. Weekdays, I use 2-3.

a_spirit and Siam Diesel like this.
  12. a_spirit
    Angelic

a_spirit Swedish n00b

Well i like it hot, on tube i often have 0.09-0.10 with Vtc5a and they dont even get warm.. Below 0.08 i'll go with lg hb6, but i dont chainvape, and i use more Than one, mechs is often used when im coiling so then i dont have time to vape alot

debatedude likes this.
  13. debatedude
    No Mood

For those who use Samsung 25R (the Sammy) or LG HG-2 (the chocolate) batteries, here's a simple resistance chart to help you adjust your setting OR give you a target resistance if you roll your own:

19274841_1693056620721796_1300486909816356241_n.jpg
    Yes, it does err on the extreme side of caution (minimum of 30% headroom), but it's a good starting point.

DannyA, Siam Diesel, Jazz2017 and 2 others like this.
  14. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

From Mooch, the battery guy, via his FB page...

Fake Samsung 25R Alert

There have been some very good fake 25R's popping up lately. Thanks to some fantastic members of this community who sent their fakes to me for testing I have some idea of what's going on.

Most of the fakes are identical in appearance and performance to the 10A 2050mAh Samsung 22P battery (Type 1 in the graphs). This battery is a terrible performer compared to the 25R. One fake was much worse than all the others. It might have been a lower grade 22P or damaged during use before I received it.

But I have one fake that is different from the others, Type 2 in the graphs. It has the metal can code for, I believe, a Samsung 29E. But the top contact structure seems wrong for the 29E. I don't know for sure what this fake actually is. It's performance is lousy compared to the 25R though.

Detecting the fakes: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Discharge graphs: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

One HUGE problem with these fake 25R's is that the top insulating rings are free-floating and not self-adhesive and glued down to the battery! This is the first time I have ever seen this. We can no longer always say that a battery with a free-floating ring is genuine.

But here's how to spot these fake 25R's:
    - If there are any lines radiating out from the center of the venting disk under the top contact then the battery cannot be a 25R. There are four of these lines in the fakes, spaced at 90° intervals. If you see even one though, as they are hard to spot, the battery cannot be a 25R.

- You can see the venting disk without unwrapping the battery but you'll need a bright light source and a magnifier is very helpful.

- If you do not see any of these radial lines in the venting disk that does NOT mean that the battery is a genuine 25R. Other fakes might not have the lines.

- If there is anything other than a "5" as the second character in the uppermost four character code on the metal can, near the top, then the battery CANNOT be a genuine 25R. If it is a "2" then it's most likely a rewrapped Samsung 22P. You can see this code through the wrap.

- If there are no codes on the metal can then it's a fake 25R. It might still be a Samsung but someone has washed off the codes.

- The batch codes on the wrap CANNOT be used alone to detect these fakes as they might be genuine batch codes. The codes for the fakes I have are 2G22 and 2F34, located at the end of the second line of printing on the wrap.

- I want to say this again...these batch codes might be genuine and cannot be used as the only method to check for authenticity.

- There might be other batch codes being used for these fakes. Do not assume that having a batch code other than 2G22 and 2F34 means you have a genuine 25R. Check the venting disk for radial lines.

That's all I have for now.

If you do have any fakes I recommend not using them at all. Contact the vendor you purchased them from to see what can be done.

Please do not send me pictures of your 25R's to authenticate them. I am unable to do so via photographs.

Hoping your 25R's are genuine!

A FOLLOWUP POST: Mooch - Will your fake Samsung 25R battery explode? No.I... | Facebook

[​IMG]

stormvapers, debatedude and Konvict like this.
  15. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

stormvapers and debatedude like this.