1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Suffering the prejudice of other smokers

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vapers Lounge' started by MonoXimian, Mar 24, 2013.

1. MonoXimian
    Angelic

MonoXimian Thread Starter Active Member

Hi Guys

I live in a province which has a small close knit expat community and when I first stopped smoking there was a lot of interest in my new "gadget" and how it worked. I was happy to explain the benefits and the virtues that I found beneficial but I was always wary of becoming one of those born again non smokers who constantly drone on and on about it. There were a few alarmists who would say that it was dangerous to my health and a few naysayers who said it would not last and I would be back on the cigarettes in 3 months but those arguments were easily put asunder when I pointed out that their cigarettes were hardly a healthy alternative and I have not touched an "analogue" for over 9 months now.

But as of late I now find I am always being ridiculed by the smokers because of my "steam pipe". Even though I have not smoked and show no inclination to start again the smokers constantly go on about how I am still smoking. I point out the rather obvious conclusion that my "steam pipe" produces steam vapour and therefore I am not smoking at all but still they harp on about it to the point where I find I am getting quite irked with the constant sniping every time I use my "steam pipe" in public.

Has anyone else experienced this inane prejudice and how best do you deal with it ?

Mono

2. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

For me when I started a mate of mine waited to see how I went on with it, he was interested but he wasn't sure if I'd go through with it.
    After a month he saw how well I was going and he got himself a kit too.
    Then all his mates got a kit and everyone is on it

My wife was the worst out of anyone, she kept on and on a bit like the guys in the above OP, but I just don't/didn't listen, I could have snapped at her many a time for sure.

I just say, keep on going, never got back to cigs.
    :vaping::vaping:

3. Don Graham

Don Graham Over 40 years SMOKEING

The only thing you can do in that situation is keep on vapeing. The people around you are are conformist. If they smoke cigarettes. Than all others around them should too. I am sure they don't want to admit that they a killing themselves by smoking. You on the other hand have chosen to be a rebel in their eyes. A nonconformist. Be proud of that young grasshopper. : rolling laugh: Just stay strong and set the example. Also remember that the media has programmed those people to think smoking is cool. : vaping: Over time they will come to realize that vapeing is way cooler. After all we have bling bling and style as vapors. :very good: They have none of that.

4. Anbessa
    Thinking

Anbessa Come&Go Member

and they smell like an ashtray.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk 2

5. Don Graham

I could not have said it better myself. :rolling laugh:

6. 0time

0time New Member

I often get lectures from smokers about how vaping must be full of chemicals and bad for you :p

7. Don Graham

You have to forgive the un-educated, and brain wash public. :vaping:

8. Merangue
    Confused

Merangue Active Member

I Just tell them to get back to me in 20 years so we can discuss lung capacity.

They generally go a bit quiet at that point.

9. MonoXimian
    Angelic

MonoXimian Thread Starter Active Member

I think that I will rememeber this as it is the best riposte that I have heard so far.

Cheers

Mono

- - - Updated - - -

I have had one or two people say something along these lines but as soon as I start to remind them about all the poisons and chemicals in each and every cigarette they say they don't want to talk about it anymore. I then quite happily remind them that it was they who brought up the conversation in the first place.

I think in some queer sort of psychological way, they feel that an ex smoker has someone betrayed the cause that they still support. Quite pathetic really but then there is nowt as queer as some folk...........

Mono

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013