1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Subox Mini Kit Vs eVic Mini Kit

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by Scuba Vaper, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Thread Starter Open Water Scuva Instructor

Sorry if not right forum, or question answered elsewhere.

I'm currently happy with my Subox Mini Kit. The eVic Mini Kit is pretty much the same size and form factor, and price, but does higher wattage 75W. The CLR head looks more fiddly to make and change coils though than the Kanger RBA. CLRs are cheap (150THB), so could presumably buy and build several ?

Overall they are very similar starter kits, for the perpetually skint like me, offering pretty good value for money ... possible I might buy an eVic, so hence the question ...

2. Neilly
    Lurking

Neilly Flavour Chaser

They are very very easy to wick...I did change the coils once (after about four months) and it wasn't that bad. The coil tool holds the new coil in place using the slots in the CLR and you just pop the bottom pin in and trim the legs. There is a thread on this some place but can't seem to find right now.

peter-k, Scuba Vaper and Siam Diesel like this.
  3. Scuba Vaper

Thanks that's helpful. Was confused about the tiny right angles on the leg ends of the coils, but if you say it's easy, then that helps !

4. Neilly
    Lurking

Neilly Flavour Chaser

If you were doing it on a weekly basis you could probable do the little right angles at the right length by eye...I just left long legs on the coil and snipped them once I had the coil at the right height in the CLR

5. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

6. Scuba Vaper

Thanks, so no need to make the little right angles they form themselves when you reassemble, and just snip excess off ?

TVM

peter-k and Siam Diesel like this.
  7. Jared S
    Spaced

Jared S Well-Known Member

Mod~wise Kanger TopBox Mini kit is probably a more reasonable kit to compare with eVic VT mini in my opinion. It fires up to 75 W and does TC like the Mini. It doesn't have any firmware upgradability like the Mini but the tank has top-fill and use the same coils as the Subtank that come with the Subox kit.

peter-k and Scuba Vaper like this.
  8. Neilly
    Lurking

Neilly Flavour Chaser

Yep

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  9. Scuba Vaper

I also looked at the TopBox, my reasons for not taking it any further, are as I understood it, the tank is built into the mod and I want the facility to be able to change tanks ... apologies if I got this wrong, doh !

PS, whoops, I did get that wrong, just Googling now !

PPS, yup, scrap what I said above, looks like TopBox is the replacement for the Subox ... I was thinking of the Nebox ...

10. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Given a choice between the 2 (if I were in the market), I'd go for the VTC Mini...I like the option to be able to upgrade the software.

11. Scuba Vaper

As @Jared S pointed out the Topbox is a better comparison with eVic mini ... however as eVic is readily available in TH, and it seems fairly easy to recoil, I'm tempted ... now just have to count my bahts and see if I have enough !

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    Siam Diesel likes this.
  12. samui

samui Well-Known Member

I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago, i went with the vtc mini works well with the subtank mini for me.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Scuba Vaper and Siam Diesel like this.
  13. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

The TCR option in the firmware plus the best display in its class, upright and showing complete information are the plusses of the eVic Mini. Just yesterday I heard it is one of the most power saving devices, too (in a review by Daniel).
    For those who consider it, my advice is buying it with the factory tank. The CLS coils are easy to build and the performance in Ti and SS is on par or sometimes better than the Subtank Mini.

Scuba Vaper and Siam Diesel like this.
  14. Scuba Vaper

Thanks, helpful, useful to know tanks are interchangeable :)

Thanks @peter-k , so eVic has some advantages that presumably kanger is trying to compete with with the Nebox.

15. dl12345

dl12345 Well-Known Member

I have both. The evic is a much more capable device in terms of its TC abilities. However, something to be aware of, is that some of the evic mods have issues with incorrect resistance readings in TC mode (mine is one of those - verified because the Subox and my multimeter show the same resistance, but the evic frequently shows a lower resistance, up to point one ohm less in some cases). This makes using TC mode almost impossible. There are a few work arounds (like removing the battery and atty), but it's mostly trial and error until the mod reads the correct resistance.

The Kanger subtank is a joy to use (although it also suffers from occasional problems if the airflow base gets gunked up, causing erratic resistance readings).

Siam Diesel, Scuba Vaper and peter-k like this.