1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Stock coils or rebuilds??

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by -V-, Jul 10, 2017.

1. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

For the tank lovers out there :beer:

Are you a stock coil kinda guy or do you rebuild your own coils?

Since my early Kayfun days I've mainly been rebuilding...
    I went through the whole Nautilus thing but really can't get better than a nice hand built coil wicked with cotton....
    Great clean taste, no messing...it is what it is....and cost effective too....

Jazz2017 likes this.
  2. Chodi

Chodi Well-Known Member

I have a closet filled with tanks that use coils. I also have many boxes of coils for them. I have only used rebuildables for the past year. I got tired of the coils gunking up and losing taste. Now I just take three minutes to rewick and dry burn my coils. Simple and always fresh taste.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  3. jpr
    Cloud_9

jpr Well-Known Member

rebuild can be very important on my opinion
    not only because it's inexpensive
    - you can learn a lot about coiling etc.... (even you can have leaking or minor problems that's learning)
    - know the style of vape you like
    - you may stay in a place where vaping isn't welcome.

Jazz2017 and Siam Diesel like this.
  4. Bantorvaper
    Mellow

Bantorvaper Well-Known Member

90% of the time and always when I am out I use one of my Nautilus 2's and usually on a PICO. Light, slips into the pocket, and sufficiently satisfying. However, a home I rotate between three or 4 other mods/tanks of which 2 are rebuildable single coil construct. Helps keep vaping fun.

SooKee, Jazz2017 and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. Nakhonsisean

Nakhonsisean Well-Known Member

Not had a stock coil tank for 2 years now. Everything coiled and wicked myself. Much prefer the vape.

jpr and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

3 Rebuildables in the rotation at present...2 x Delta II & a Hurricane 1.3...but it takes a bit longer than 3 minutes to rewick & dry burn! Otherwise, it's the tried & true fleet of Nautili & Kabukis using BVC 1.6/1.8 ohm drop-in coils.

Konvict, Jazz2017 and jpr like this.
  7. Chodi

Chodi Well-Known Member

I own a lot of rta's and I will agree that some take a bit longer. Let's say 3-5 minutes to re-wick and dry burn. I've had a lot of practice. Frankly I find the whole experience a relaxing ritual which always rewards me with clean taste.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  8. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Maybe for you...when I rewick & dry burn, I take the opportunity to give the tank a complete cleaning, too. That's what takes the time as once this is finished, dry burning & rewicking takes me about 10 minutes or so.

Me less so. ;)

Konvict likes this.
  9. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Well-Known Member

I've never bothered with stock coils...

With stock limitations in Thailand, I feel its a must to build your own coils..

Even if, a newbie struggles to make a decent coil, there are pre-made coils available on Fasttech
    where its a matter of 'plug and play' - or better .. buy a Coilmaster and wire, and you're done in minutes..

Jazz2017, jpr and Siam Diesel like this.
  10. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Hehehe...I have! :p
    :grin:

Konvict and moonoy93 like this.
  11. fruit-lover
    Cheerful

fruit-lover Well-Known Member

**Updated**
    I would imagine that due to the lack of consistent distribution of vapegear, most vapers have been forced into making their own coils. I know this is trued for me.

Interestingly though, I bought and RTA from our friend in Siam Square a few months ago and the tank came with some fused clapton coils. I liked them so much I went back for more and they are now my coil of choice.

Siam Diesel, jpr and moonoy93 like this.
  12. Jared S
    Spaced

Jared S Well-Known Member

Haven't bought a stock coil in more than a year I think. Now I mainly build micro coils in a RDA and a few RDTAs. I do use premade clapton once in a while though.

Jazz2017 and Siam Diesel like this.
  13. Donkey
    Amused

Donkey Well-Known Member

I have like 7 mods primed and ready i vape them one by one down the line until i need to change the cotton out. Lazy i know :pleasure:

Tokay, Siam Diesel and jpr like this.
  14. Tokay
    Lurking

Tokay Well-Known Member

Went the stock coil route but got tired of the flavour dying out or tasting burnt after 3 days as well as the bum coils and the price. I then tried the RBA bases for my CUBIS and iJUST 2 tanks but they were extremely frustrating and now they, along with the tanks, live in my drawer.

On the cost part, bought some fancy clapton wire and "premium" cotton. With Thai inflation that cost me around 600 baht. Reason I went for the premium cotton is because it honestly lasts ages, barely retains any flavour at all which is why I re coil every 4 weeks or so and dry burn/re-wick every 7-10 days with 1 RTDA, 1 RTA and 1 RDA in constant rotation. I also have 30ft of 28g SS316, around 28ft of 26g SS316 and a pack of 180 pads of Muji I bought off fasttech, maybe add another 500 for that. Total ~1100. If you want to be really cheeky, add in the coilmaster kitbag for around 1400, so make it 2,500 baht.

The coils for my iJust 2 were 590 baht for a 5 pack, so 118 baht each. Assuming I never got a bum coil and swapped every 3 days at 118 a pop, that's 2,360 baht for 2 months so just under my total coil investments. Just the clapton wire and cotton have lasted me over 8 months - I've still got the 28g, 26g and most of the pack of Muji (the missus realised they're good for makeup removal too) which will probably last another 4-6 easily till the Muji pads ran out. 8 months worth of coils would have cost me 9,440 baht, so so far I've saved 6,940 baht and benefited from a superior vaping experience.

Honestly the only way I'll go back to stock coils is if I get another eGo AIO which I'd probably only use very rarely when its not convenient to have a mod + tank setup.

Siam Diesel, jpr and Nakhonsisean like this.
  15. Nakhonsisean

Nakhonsisean Well-Known Member

Found exactly the same as you! I doubt I'd ever go back to stock coils! I'm still using the same wire I bought 18 months ago!

jpr, Siam Diesel and Tokay like this.