1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Starter Kit Recommendations for New Vapers (NO 'New Poster' Posts!)

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vaping Newbies' started by haybilly, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Neilly
    Lurking

Neilly Flavour Chaser

Not sure...but will be hunting for one when they have it ready for shipping LOL

haybilly likes this.
  2. Ben B
    Amused

Ben B Well-Known Member

Kangertech SubVOD Starter anyone. Very nicely priced at 1,390 Baht.

[​IMG]

3. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Kanger really are turning out some nice new devices, and sensibly they all take the same coils.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

4. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

Kanger for me = no thank you....Move along,,,,

Siam Diesel and Neilly like this.
  5. haybilly
    Paranoid

Well, that was my thoughts a while back, but having bought 3 Evods for smokers, a couple of NeBox, and a couple of Subtanks, I can see that they are making good gear, for a certain market.

Siam Diesel, lordofthedread and Ben B like this.
  6. Kentstir

Kentstir New Member

Hi all,

Just writing as a newbie and wanting advise of the joyetech eVic VTC mini... Pros and Con of the product

Kentstir

7. Neilly
    Lurking

Neilly Flavour Chaser

Have a go with this thread to start...

Subox Mini Kit Vs eVic Mini Kit | Thailand Vapers

Siam Diesel likes this.
  8. Kentstir

Kentstir New Member

Thanks Neilly for your quick reply :thank you:

9. haybilly
    Paranoid

If you are a genuine 'newbie' I would have thought that the Evic VTC mini is quite a bit advanced, to be honest. although it's a good, regulated Mod--is that really what you want to start with?? Or, are you not quite such a 'Newbie'?
    It's fine, as a mod, but what tank are you putting on it?
    I just sent a PM to another so-called 'newbie' and in it I recommended some options--Kanger Evod Mega, Joyetech Ego One, Innokin T18, Eleaf iStick Basic--and so on--but, fell free to jump in with an Evic.

10. Jared S
    Spaced

Jared S Well-Known Member

Evic mini starter kit come with either an Ego One Mega or a Tron tank I think.

Never tried the Tron but since it use the same coil head as the Ego One Mega then I suppose the vaping experience shouldn't be much different and personally I'm not a fan of their stock coil head (CL head). If you are going with one of these two tanks then I think it's better to get the CL-R coil head because it has bigger juice hole, you can rewick them to keep the cost down or even rebuild them if you want to get into that further down the road. There are some cons though, CL-R coil heads are more expensive (but if you keep rewicking them with new cotton then I guess this con is mooted) and the 1.0 ohm coil heads (which is more suitable for mouth to lung beginner) are harder to find than 0.5 ohm ones.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    illuxion and haybilly like this.
  11. illuxion
    Cheeky

illuxion New Member

Just wanted to add to Jared's recommendation. The VTC Mini is a great starter kit. Most of the ones I've seen come with the Tron tank(S or T, one has Side windows one has a Top window), which isn't a bad tank, but the CL coils are bad. The CL holes are tiny and they don't wick well at all even with 50/50 and pure VG is a complete no go. The vertical coil is a nice idea but they didn't give the wicks enough room to breathe. With CLR heads the Tron is a different beast, it wicks great and you can throw in whatever coil you want in it. Well, almost any coil, I haven't managed to fit a klapton in there without shorting. I currently have a twisted 26ga NI200/28ga Kanthal build one and it gets down, set at 450°and 40w max. The hidden vent mechanism for the tank is very nice, I haven't seen a single drop of juice out of place. It gets tight enough for decent mouth to lung if you're into that, and wide open with a CLR head it flows about the same as my griffin with one hole blocked off which is still pretty good. The Tron has zero whistling at any setting unlike many of my other tanks. Another perk is the pyrex is protected very well and I have no problems throwing it in my pocket with keys jingling around it. With the .5Ω clr heads I can run it happily at about 12w and a single VTC4 battery lasts all day with no problem. With the griffin tank and twin 24/32ga klaptons at .18Ω and 55w the VTC mini chews through the battery pretty quick but that's to be expected for a single 18650.

I like them so much that I just picked up 2 VTC mini kits and 2 packs of CLR coils to bring as gifts.

Neilly and haybilly like this.
  12. haybilly
    Paranoid

With this talk of Coil builds and Claptons, and ni200,etc this thread sounds much less like a thread for Starter kits for newbies-- sorry to say; the newbies that I've been encountering lately would run a mile at all this, and out of about 10-15 folks who recently moved to vaping from cigarettes, none of them are ready to, or interested in, coil building- they just want a simple device that works and stops them using cigarettes.
    All this above is far too advanced for many new Vapers.

13. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

I personally would not call the eVic Mini an ideal starter device for everyone, but certainly if someone is willing to read a few lines in the manual and inform himself this can be a good starter device.

The CL coils are starter coils and not coils for high wattage or high VG. They do perform very well and last about double as my Kanger OCC coils did (by puff counter). The CLR coils with same e-liquid and wattage do not taste much different. It is just that we can tailor their build to suit what we like, for example high VG. The eGo Mega and Trons work best with 1 ohm for me, they don't really have the best throughput for the 0.5 and even less for the 0.2 coils included.

If you asked me for a starter device I say the Pioneer4You IPV D3. That thing works just out of the box stabil and reliable with very short learning curve. And Kanger? Don't know, lost overview. They just churn out one device after the other in almost weekly pattern, and not even experts can devide them anymore.

14. haybilly
    Paranoid

The whole point here is to remember that many smokers, who are considering changing to vaping do not want anything remotely complicated--I mean how hard is pulling a cigarette out of a box and setting fire to it, while inhaling?? That's what they want--something almost as easy as that; I have had direct experience with at least 10 smokers, in the last 12 months, and they all backed off when I started talking to them about Ohms, coil rebuilds, battery output, and so on--invariably, what they all wanted, at the very beginning, was a really easy device--everything needed to be easy, that's to say the filling/refilling, the battery charging, the eventual dead coil changing, all had to be esay--on the odd occasions when any of them wanted to start with anything slightly more complicated,usually I would get a call a few days later asking if they could change the device. This is not to say that some have not now moved up the scale after time--but, in that first month or 2, they really wanted easy--or they would pull out a cigarette.
    This is the sort of newbie who goes for Evods, Innokin, Eleaf GS Air, Bottom Dual/Vertical coil type tanks and also Nautilus; not one of them wanted anything for a battery that had any read out about Ohms, Volts, etc... this was too complicated to start off with.

nikoteen, Emmess, farangmick and 3 others like this.
  15. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

I remember when a CE4 clearomizer and a fresh charged EGO battery was a huge step forward from the cartomizers and suck start batteries. It only mattered much to those of us who had been vaping for a while. Technology has definitely improved but the main goal has not changed. Get the smokers off the stinkies, whatever it takes for that person.