1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Solubility info for VG?

Discussion in 'Thailand DIY Juice Making' started by Scuba Vaper, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Thread Starter Open Water Scuva Instructor

Having a fairly keen interest in eliquid design, and wanting to avoid certain pitfalls like including lipids in vape ... Led me to this :

Dow Answer Center

It seems that PG, will allows lipids (eg soybean oil) in solution, albeit small around 1%. So, one needs to be careful with PG around lipids. My experience is that lipids taste foul in the vape, and has been implicated in possible health complications, WHICH - as yet hasn't in any way been proven. Overall my conclusion is steer clear of them in eliquid design, for safety's sake and avoid the foul taste and damage to coils/wicks.

I wasn't able however to find out solubility of lipids in VG. I would like to know as VG can be used as a solvent for extracts, or "glycerites". Does anyone know where I can get an answer on this, or any personal experience ?

I hasten to add I'm ONLY interested in flavour extracts, for learning about how to make flavourings, eg sundried tomatoes, Etc, please DO NOT comment on extractions of any kind of drug, because that's not allowed on this forum, and I have ZERO interest in that.

sethrune.sr likes this.
  2. sethrune.sr

sethrune.sr Active Member

Just sent ya and email, hope it helps

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  3. Scuba Vaper

4. Scuba Vaper

As for lipids, I did an experiment with 15ml of Palm coking oil mixed with VG 15ml. They do mix temporarily and after some days the VG clears, so VG and Palm oil separate into layers. I vaped the VG after it seperated, and couldn't detect any noticeable presence of "burnt oil" flavour. So my conclusion, is that lipid absorbtion in VG is likely negligible to not at all. However, obviously, to get a scientific/exact result would require lab equipment I don't have access to, so don't take my conclusion as being conclusive !

If I can figure out how to test for sucrose/glucose/fructose absorbtion in VG, I'll report back my conclusions.
    **Updated**
    Answered the sugars question through research, seems "sucrose is moderately soluble in glycerol"