1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Soldering equipment opinions

Discussion in 'Modifications and DIY' started by Submaniac, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Submaniac
    Fiendish

Submaniac Thread Starter Ayatolah of Rock 'N Rolla

So I was gonna do some "projects" and make a box mod. I have el cheapo soldering iron that I bought at the 99 cent store for, 99 cents. Let's say that as a result of me buying cheap, i have not enjoyed the soldering experience. On Sunday, a shop by me is gonna have a 25% sale and I was thinking of picking up one of these:

180 Watt Industrial Soldering Gun

180 Watt Industrial Soldering Gun

Then I saw these butane babies on ebay:

1300°C Butane Gas Blow Torch Solder Iron Gun Cordless Woolelding Pen Burner New | eBay

Pen Shaped Cordless DIY Butane Gas Soldering Solder Iron Gun Torch Tip Tool HG | eBay

Wondering what you guys would recommend. I would like to get a decent soldering set up.

Tibo likes this.
  2. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

If you're going to be soldering dna chips you have to be very careful as the chips can't take too much heat or you'll burn out the chip/traces.
    For an example I use this 60 W one from FT at around 350 C which is about right when I was soldering my chips...:
    $12.73 Yong Feng 933 60W Electronic DIY Soldering Iron - US plug at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

i'd never use a gas soldering iron myself, and I found the thin tip on the above iron perfect for soldering the very small pin outs for the up and down and fire wires on the chip, anything bigger would have been very difficult...

3. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

4. kurt
    Blah

kurt Well-Known Member

The gas kits are more general purpose and as the others have said I would avoid them. Why not spend a little extra coin and get a variable wattage for your workshop which would probably out live you.. :)

Kurt

Mack likes this.
  5. Mack
    Relaxed

Mack Well-Known Member

I would agree with Kurt, but for the use your are talking about if your on a budget get a 15w from a well known maker like Antex or Weller. anything higher powered without good variable control will get too hot.

6. Darth Vaper
    Sick

Darth Vaper Keep Calm and Impose Your Will on Others

Never could get those solder suckers to work right.... now its just a matter of clamping a shop vac hose near where ever the de-soldering is taking place and sluurrrp! Same thing for grinding with the rotary tool. Leave the vac running just below your work area and continuously vac out debris as you work. good for not breathing dust, clogging the vents on yer power tools and easing clean up a good amount. "yer welcerm".

oh and uh... dont have an authoritative opinion on irons. Bought a cheap one at Fortune Town that has a trigger to feed solder to the tip. Kind of crappy, kind of good. Bernz-o-matic gas powered solder / hot air blower job for everything not delicate or on a circuit board.