1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

SMOK Baby/Big Baby Q2 coil DIY rebuild

Discussion in 'Modifications and DIY' started by Jazz2017, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Jazz2017

Jazz2017 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hello all, For anyone using SMOK baby and big baby tanks but don't like spending around a thousand baht for 5 coils only for them to burn out in 3 days each and you are not adverse to a little DIY then this is for you.

I have both baby and big baby tanks and I don't use them very often as i was getting frustrated by how quickly the coils burn out and at how expensive they are, I was also never a huge fan of the Q2 coil but the others seemed impossible to re-build so here we are. Now I can use these tanks along with an expendable mod when I'm out and about and will always have a few coils kicking around to keep in the pocket for a quick change and it wouldn't hurt too much if they got confiscated meaning my good mods, RDA's and RTA's are safely at home should the BiB decide that I should be buying their tea.

Now, enough rambling, Below are some pictures of the coils i built yesterday, i have put around three tanks of juice through the first one and its working just fine.

Sorry if I'm telling anyone things they already know, but this os for those that don't know how to re-build a stock "vertical" coil, there are youTube videos for this method for Kanger OCC coils, so the same principle applies here.

First of all just remove the silver base then bend the old wires out of the way to allow removal of the rubber grommit. Then push the old coil out through the top opening, do not remove the cotton from the edges where the fill holes are because you won't be able to get new cotton back in. sorry i do not have a picture of the stripped out shell but will update with a picture when i re-build again.

The original coils are 0.4 ohms so I used stainless steel 316L wire with 4.5 / 5 wraps around a 6mm diameter drill bit which comes out to 0.45 ohms, you need to bend both legs downwards which can be a little fiddly but needle nosed pliers work a treat. I spaced the wraps out a little (approx 6mm) so that they filled the entire empty shell of the standard Q2 coil head, Then use organic cotton sheets, cut a strip the same width as the new coil (approx 6mm) and tuck it underneath the top leg to start, then wrap the entire strip around the coil tightly all the while keeping the drill bit inside the coil to keep its shape. Then insert the drill bit and wrapped coil into the top of the casing "legs first". remove the drill bit and bend the outer leg over the edge of the casing, then re-insert the rubber grommit with the remaining straight leg passing through the centre of the grommit and bend over the edge. trim both legs and insert the silver base.

Job Done.

IMG_7416.JPG

IMG_7417.JPG

IMG_7418.JPG

IMG_7422.JPG

IMG_7421.JPG

IMG_7420.JPG

IMG_7419.JPG

IMG_7427.JPG

2. Jazz2017

By the way it's 24 gauge SS wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siam Diesel, Bantorvaper and jpr like this.
  3. jpr
    Cloud_9

jpr Well-Known Member

I really like this kind of hints and tips,
    thank you for sharing.
    I was doing the equivalent for the atlantis coils ( at a smaller gauge) before I use RTA as crius or griffin.

Siam Diesel and Jazz2017 like this.
  4. Jazz2017

You're very welcome @jpr. pre-made coil heads definitely have their place in the world especially when out and about and the smok tanks are excellent and very well made. It's a shame not to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siam Diesel and jpr like this.