1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

SIGELEI 75W VARIABLE BOX MOD WITH TEMPERATURE CONTROL

Discussion in 'Temperature Control board Talk' started by -V-, May 5, 2015.

1. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Dual coils are possible, the problem is you're twice as likely to mess them up.

Simple, Near Perfect, Spaced Coils...

[​IMG]

I found with TC coils would gunk up quicker due to less heat generally going to the coil.

Siam Diesel and shoo-D like this.
  2. judas
    Amused

judas Lethargic Member

I use your technique rick and pretty much perfect spacing every time. Agree also that ni coils seems to gunk up faster tan the old kanthal.

Siam Diesel and Rick O-Shea like this.
  3. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

If you are referring to dual coils, they are not a problem at all. Lots of people have been using them since the DNA 40 first was introduced, including myself.

Regarding gunking of coils being worse with TC, that could be the case but it hasn't really caught my attention when going through the normal routines of cleaning, rewicking and rebuilding. I may be simply unaware that it is.

A tip I can give: On a few occasions I had forgotten to lock or set coil resistance after a new build or changing attys. Cannot remember if it was the Sig 75W, the IPV4S or both but the resistance rating it had at those times was inaccurate (perhaps based on the previous coil) and the vape suffered. My past temp limiting experience had always been with the DNA 40 and it's auto-sensing and adjusting resistance feature so this never was an issue or something to think about. Some of these other chipsets seem to need to have the resistance set or updated manually. Best to do that when the coil and atty are both at room temp or are at at least at the same resting temp.

haybilly, Dieter., judas and 3 others like this.
  4. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Dieter., Scratchy and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. Scratchy
    Lurking

Just passing along what I've read and learned from others who are much more knowledgeable than myself :)

Siam Diesel and Rick O-Shea like this.
  6. r_pakit

r_pakit Well-Known Member

First of all sorry for the dirty looking coils.

Just want to show you, shoo-D, the dual coil in TC is possible. Here is my dual coil build in Velocity that I use for 2 weeks.

I use ni200, 30AWG, spaced 10 wraps each. It come out at 0.09 ohm and it vape perfectly on Sig 75W TC.

11909722_10153598324542803_1562296724_n.jpg

7. shoo-D
    No Mood

shoo-D Well-Known Member

Cheers r_pakit. when i did the first two coil build mine looked like yours after only two days. even though my nickel coils did not look bad before, they looked crappy after wicking.
    i will definitely try lower gauge nickel wire at some point, but i must say that it worked also really well once i twisted two strings of the 32.
    Rick, if i had seen your post of coiling earlier i would have tried it straight away. when making spaced coils, i usually started spaced and they sure never looked as yours.
    many thanks for the input folks

:thank you:

:vaping::vaping::vaping:

Siam Diesel, Scratchy and r_pakit like this.
  8. fruit-lover
    Cheerful

fruit-lover Well-Known Member

This was my first dual coil Ni200 28 gauge 7 wraps and about 3mm, I think. It works a treat.

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0215.JPG

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  9. shoo-D
    No Mood

shoo-D Well-Known Member

Did my first build on the subtank mini yesterday and must say I like temp control just as much if not more in the tank. do you guys use your temp control devices more for your RDAs or tanks or both?

10. Scratchy
    Lurking

These days about equally. During my time visiting in the States I have 1 rda kanthal (haven't used in days), 1 Ni200 and 1 titanium. For RTA, 2 titanium, 1 Ni200 and 1 kanthal. Will probably have about the same ratio with all my other stuff after getting back home in Phuket. I'm really enjoying my temp limiting setups more and more as time goes on. That being said, some of my attys aren't the friendliest to build them on so will remain kanthal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Siam Diesel likes this.
  11. r_pakit

r_pakit Well-Known Member

I use in all of them shoo-D. Every RDA and tank I have I use in TC.

12. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Well-Known Member

Wow- you guys put me to shame, I have an IPV4,Istick 40 watt and 2 x rDNA40s and I'm still using them all with Kanthal!!
    I'm just not confident enough to make the jump to Nickel builds.
    I must go for it soon, just don't want to f*#$@ it up.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

13. judas
    Amused

judas Lethargic Member

I primarily use kanthal but TBH don't find nickel much harder to use after getting a couple of builds under your belt. It's kind of like sex the first few times you ever did it, you feel proud of yourself but deep down you know it was a poor performance ;)

Neilly, Rick O-Shea and Scratchy like this.
  14. Scratchy
    Lurking

Quick recommendations for anyone interested and concerned about moving forward with Ni200:

If you can, source some tempered Ni200 and it will make things easier with building.

Use Steam Engine http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp to help with determining gauge of wire to use. For DNA 40 minimum stated resistance is 0.1 but you can get a little lower with some sacrifice in power output. I've gone down to 0.08 with good results and side benefit for DNA 40 devices is that you can reduce number of wraps.

With the iStick and some other mods minimum resistance can be lower so even less wraps needed. iStick 40 minimum is 0.05

DNA 40 - Atty deck sizes and configs can effect this but if single coil I would recommend 28ga and for dual coil 29ga or 30ga.

Others mods with lower resistance - Single coil I would recommend 26ga and for dual coil 28ga.

Clean the wire with cloth/paper towel etc. and alcohol just to be safe. I have seen carbon-like residue coming off some of my wires when doing this.

Use spaced coils.

Make sure the wire's legs is trapped very securely in the posts.

Do not glow/dry burn the coils. Just leave them be. If you have them secured and spaced they should work very well.

After wicking, make sure the coil maintained spacing between the wraps. If touching try to adjust so they aren't.

Finally, check once again that your wire's legs are trapped very securely before using.

Enjoy!

Neilly, r_pakit, Siam Diesel and 3 others like this.
  15. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Well-Known Member

WOW- super useful info @Scratchy.
    Thanks , I almost think that I can go for it now. Almost. .....actually I will.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Scratchy likes this.