1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Should I mess with mech mods?

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by PCVKermit, May 26, 2017.

1. PCVKermit

PCVKermit Thread Starter Member

I mean I love gear, but I mostly like to take moth to lung hits and rarley over 30 watts. I recently got this recoil RDA and have been taking lung hits and blowing out big clouds it's pretty cool but still my go too is a a Kanger sub tank mini at 25 watts or my Kayfun v5 clone at 30 watts.
    I'm living on Thai farmer wages and I need to get a backup system so I'm looking at this reasonably priced mech mod its a Vgod clone with an RDTA and velocity style deck .
    Would I be stupid for just diving in?
    I know you need to use an ohm calculator when building coils is that really that hard?
    Will I enjoy the device?
    And most importantly will it blow up in my face?

2. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

Start-up can be expensive if you're not building your own coils right now. Wick, wire, pliers, screwdrivers, ohm meter, volt meter (gotta check the battery power), etc. It adds up in the beginning.
    without properly educating yourself, yes. The biggest thing you need to learn about are batteries. Always know what the limits of your batteries are, and stay at least 25% above the bottom line. Know how watts and ohms work together. Oh yeah, lots to learn.
    Nah, not really. The hard part is making sure you built something within the safety margins of your battery. Build too low and you might have issues.
    Yeah...no. Mechs deliver what the battery has. Example, with an LG HB6 battery, my first few hits will be around 80 watts. I'll take about 30-50 puffs (about FIVE minutes worth of vaping) and then change batteries. Never want to go below the magic 3.3! Although I generally change at 3.6-3.7 volts
    Depends...mechs are not consistent. There's no chip making sure everything stays the same. The first five hits will kill you and the last few will be weak, as the battery runs low. With that said, I enjoy the hell out of my mechs and own several. Mechs are my primary vaping device. I actually find them more satisfying than regulated mods (although I do have two regulated mods as well).
    Yup, it can. Think of it like unprotected sex...if you aren't careful, bad things can happen. Use the wrong battery, use a weak battery, use a clone battery...things can go boom. Don't test your coils...boom. Don't keep your equipment clean and get a hard short...boom. You get the idea. Going back to the sex analogy: Mechs need to be romanced and treated right before they give it up. But when treated right, they give it up good. Treat 'em like a $2 whore, and you may find out they will get revenge.

Dieter., farangmick, Konvict and 2 others like this.
  3. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Dieter., farangmick, Konvict and 2 others like this.
  4. PCVKermit

Looks like the advice is unanimous! I do wanna get into Mechs but maybe be to wait till I'm back in the states with better access to supplies and my Vape doesn't depend on it...

5. winwin

winwin Birder on the run

Be safe. Don't use cheap mechs. People goes for mechs mostly because of the cool look and they are not casual vaper.

6. PCVKermit

I have to be honest, the cool look is part of the appeal. It's like a fixed gear bike stylish simplicity but completely impractical.

Siam Diesel and Nakhonsisean like this.
  7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Usually, a mech mod is paired with a RDA (dripper)...fine for the home but impractical for vaping while you're out & about here due to the increased scrutiny of all things vape-related by the BiB & Army. ;)

aging one, Konvict and debatedude like this.
  8. V4Vendetta

V4Vendetta Member

Also use the time to get better educated on technical aspects (e.g. ohm, wattage, different type of batteries, coil building etc.) as well as safety aspects (e.g. what can cause shortages, battery venting/swelling and what to do in those situations). There are plenty of materials out there now (e.g. forums, YouTube, blogs, websites).

Looking cool ain't shitt, if it blows up on your face.

Jazz2017 and Konvict like this.
  9. Jazz2017

Jazz2017 Well-Known Member

@PCVKermit i just created a thread that might be useful for you looking to gain a little knowledge etc regarding batteries, Ohms law and coil building. I dont know how to copy a link im afraid but maybe @Siam Diesel could help.

Its a great app (if you use iphone or ipad) there are similar ones for android but i dont know any of those.

Cheers.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  10. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Here you go...and it's now a sticky, too. :)
    Coil Builders Toolkit (inc Battery Charts) | Thailand Vapers

Jazz2017 and Konvict like this.