1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Sense Herakles Plus - better than Crown

Discussion in 'Vaping Reviews' started by Smokebloke, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Smokebloke

Smokebloke Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I realise, this is kind of a newbie review and that the forums tend to focus more on the more technically advanced stuff, but I thought this might be helpful to the more newbie vaper (like my good self) wondering where to park their hard-earned coin on their next sub-ohm tank if they are just looking for something that will generate half decent clouds with some decent vapor without having to delve into building.

The Uwell Crown was my first step up after starting off vaping on the ego One Mega and Kanger Subtank Mini. I enjoyed both of them at the time but I very quickly grew out of them. I needed more air flow and more power and more vapor! The Crown was the obvious choice to step up to, given the hype. I've documented in these forums that I've had a less than satisfactory experience with the Crown. I'm not sure if I got dud coils or what, but I continually get burnt hits without pushing the coils anywhere near their rated maximum power settings. I thought originally it might be the juice as I thought I was doing 80/20, but as it turned out I was only doing 70/30. Anyway, the experience was disappointing, but I will probably still hold onto the tank and try out the RBA section which I haven't used to date.

In the interim, I acquired the Sense Herakles Plus. Using the same juice but this tank has been rock solid. Nothing near a dry hit. Rocking the 0.4 ohm coils up to 90 watts with zero dry hits. No leaks. Nothing but perfect vapor. I think it might be more juice-hungry than the Crown though - just my opinion. Anyway, if it was a choice between the 2, the Herakles wins hands down in my books. The downside - no RBA section currently, but the coils aren't overly expensive. Cheers.

etlava, Siam Diesel and Scuba Vaper like this.
  2. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Haven't tried the Herakles Plus and never will, but I'm sure you're right!

3. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Open Water Scuva Instructor

Not tried Herakles either, so thanks for review, obviously can't comment as didn't try yet !

Crown is my current favourite tank so far. RBA works nice with preinstalled SS coil. Little problematic wicking, but I have that handled now. Build quality is best I've seen on any tank, machining is awesome/perfect. Clouds are adequate for my purposes, have velocity RDA or griffin RTA for more clouds.

Leaking didn't experience any so far on stock coils, the RBA yes, but that was me learning to wick it properly.

Also seems pretty easy to rebuild stock crown coils. Mainly I like their large size, so less fiddly-ness or magnifying glass not needed.

etlava, Siam Diesel and Smokebloke like this.
  4. Smokebloke

@Rick O-Shea Hi Rick, as you're one of the most senior (in terms of contributions not necessarily age :) ) I'm interested in your response. Is it that there are just too many subtanks on the market these days and only marginal differences between them? I was kind of thinking that myself. Or is it that once you get right into vaping that dripping takes over and tanks become basically irrelevant? Or something else? I was watching some Youtube video reviews today and it was only in April 2015 (so not THAT long ago!) that people were talking up the Innokin isub tank. Now you can get it for 11 bucks and no-one mentions it. Seems that the landscape changes so quickly. Im starting to think its better just to get some gear that one is happy with personally and then just ignore all the hype of the next best thing..

etlava, Siam Diesel and Rick O-Shea like this.
  5. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

I'm still chasing a holy grail I know doesn't exist. I didn't like the Crown at all; I didn't get dry hits, just some of the worst flavour from any tank I've ever used.
    That was my final dabble with pre-made coils.

I don't even own a dripper at the moment, I prefer the throat hit from a tank - but am waiting for a 2-post, top airflow, chuff cap dripper that I'm interested in to eventually hit the market.

There isn't an awful lot of difference between tanks. I bought the Crius, then came the Griffin (near identical), then the Gemini (near identical to the Griffin).
    There's more satisfaction to be had purchasing every 6 months or so. I didn't buy anything for ages, but since November have gone through approx 30 tanks and mods, nearly all of which were instantly moved on.

It's pretty much all hype.

etlava, Siam Diesel and Smokebloke like this.
  6. Smokebloke

@Rick O-Shea I can see where you're coming from. Think I'll just settle on a couple of things that do me for now and hold out. It changes so quickly that whats available in July 2016 or December 2016 might be so radically different from whats available now. Might be better to get some basics (for me Im talking about here) and know that I can just hole-up with a decent vape in the meantime and see how it all plays out

etlava and Siam Diesel like this.