1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Saying Hi / Visiting Thailand

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vaping Newbies' started by cosmeticjunkie, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Sue
    Breezy

Sue Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome.
    Even if you pack all your vape gears (without batteries) in your checked luggage it might be opened before leaving airport. They have a separate control station right near exit where you have to open all your luggage again... so its still risky

Siam Diesel likes this.
  2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Is this at the Phuket airport? Do they open the bags of every single passenger? I imagine that would create quite a line trying to exit Customs...and it's the first time this has been reported. Do you know this exists from first hand knowledge?

3. Sue
    Breezy

Sue Well-Known Member

@Siam Diesel Yes it was Phuket Airport (Intern. Arrivings), I saw it myself this year. Of course they just pick out randomly, we had our e-cigs in our pockets and carry-on bags and the rest in our suitcases (without batteries). Two families in front of us were picked out to put their suitcase and all other stuff on this extra scanning station, and I just headed almost running towards exit and taxi station.
    As I wrote somewhere here before, as soon as we land there next time, I will throw away my cigalikes (I use for long distance flights) and will buy something there on the market.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Don't do that...just put them in your pocket or purse (or in a sock)...it's what I do with my Aio (which is my long-distance stealth vape)! :D

Konvict and Sue like this.
  5. Fastoche

Fastoche Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Some friends living in Phuket told me they have a lot more x-ray than before and they can/do scan a large amount of luggages on arrival.
    Now when my friends arrive to Phuket airport from International flight they get more and more often checked. Very recently a Belgian friend even had some problems because he was bringing (quite a lot of) chocolate (yes chocolate). He could finally keep it without a bribe or fine but he had to argue for quite a long time (always a pleasure after more than 10 hours in a plane and just before to get ripped off by the taxi maf**).
    This is becoming very ridiculous.
    As Siam wrote it the best is probably to carry your gear in your pockets, socks or underwear.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    jpr and Sue like this.
  6. Sue
    Breezy

Sue Well-Known Member

Well thx for this good piece of advice, as long as they don't have this "metal detector" to walk through or start to pat us down, this would be good solution.

Fastoche and Siam Diesel like this.
  7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

The other solution is to fly into Swampy, spend a day or 2 in BKK and the environs and then fly down to Phuket (and avoid their over zealous Customs folks). Yeah, a bit of a PIA but worth it if you can bring your gear in with less hassle.

Fastoche, Konvict and Sue like this.
  8. Chili Pepper

Chili Pepper Well-Known Member

So the situation is different for domestic flights? I.e less risky? I live here and am mostly concerned about domestic flights. Next month have to fly up to Chiang Mai (Thai Smile from swampy) and thinking twice about taking my gear

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Yes, AFAIK. You only need to make sure that your gear is safe for carriage on an airplane, i.e., batteries packed safely in your carry-on, liquid (if carried on) within the prescribed limits (100 ml max. per bottle and all must fit within a 1 L plastic bag...check with the specific airlines), otherwise, put it in your checked luggage. The security scanners do not work for TH Customs. Let us know how it goes. :)

Konvict, jpr, Sue and 1 other person like this.
  10. centella4u

centella4u Well-Known Member

Domestic flight, np. I fly all the time.
    On the other note, we are trying to make vaping legal.
    Today, my friends went to talk to custom officials.
    Slow but steady progress.
    Our problem lies in just a few da dr. who gain a lot from the Thai Tobacco Monopoly.
    We may have to take this matter directly to the PM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. fillmcavity
    Angelic

fillmcavity Serial Vapist

I clicked on the "Like" button for this post. I would click on it many times to show my support. Is it possible to have this in a separate thread so we can follow updates? Thank you centella4u. A shining light for our community. Please keep the updates coming.

12. cosmeticjunkie
    Angelic

cosmeticjunkie Thread Starter Member

is there no xray machine you have to walk through when entering puhket? if thats the case i will just walk through with my mod in my pocket:bravo:
    **Updated**
    **Updated**
    hi sam i will be stopping in dubia just for a couple of hours before we travel on to puhket just found out its illegal to vape there aswell:not good: cant believe it

13. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Yes, Dubai is another non-vape friendly country. If you’re changing planes, you’ll have to go through security, too (or so I’ve heard). One of our members had a mod confiscated a year or so back...perhaps things have changed in the interim.

Do your research, split your gear between checked & carry-on so some will arrive at the worst.
    :vaping: :vaping:

14. Fastoche

Fastoche Well-Known Member

Hi,
    For your information.
    I travelled with Emirates last November -2016 (Bkk/Dubai/Paris) and in January 2017 (Paris/Dubai/Bkk).
    I had most of my mods, atomisers (spare parts in different places of my suitcase) and liquids in my checked luggages. I also carried one very small mod and atomiser ready to use and an old ego set-up (batt and atomiser) in my cabin luggages and pockets.
    Just before leaving the plane and therefore passing through security checkpoint I did separate the atomisers from their mod and ego battery. I had the mod and ego in my bag with a few 18650 batteries and some power banks and the atomisers in my pockets. Thus they could see it clearly when I emptied my pockets to go through security.
    Got lucky they didn't confiscated anything. I also did vape quite discreetly (but not hiding) at Dubai airport in the smoking area (no one seemed to be surprised).
    Got some friends and family living in Dubai and some are vaping. It seems that it is the same kind of situation for vapers as it is in LoS but without any bib racketing.
    I can also confirm that you have to pass through security/x-ray at Dubai airport when you transit from one plane to another (it has been like this for many years).
    I got lucky but some people got their gear confiscated.
    Take care.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    cosmeticjunkie and Siam Diesel like this.
  15. cosmeticjunkie
    Angelic

cosmeticjunkie Thread Starter Member

**Updated**
    thank you for all the helpful information and tips so pleased i found this site:cheers:
    **Updated**
    **Updated**
    thank you now i know what to expect:cheers:

jpr and Siam Diesel like this.