1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Recent Thai "Vape Ban" Story (PBusardo's website)

Discussion in 'E-News' started by pierdon, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Chodi

Chodi Well-Known Member

I agree that we all would probably opt to pay the fine. I think 50K baht is absurd. If this happened to me even though I have been living here almost twenty years that would be my last day in Thailand.

pierdon likes this.
  2. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

Well that has already happened to a vendor (reported in another thread here).
    They do need a warrant to search your house. I believe the Government here does respect the sanctity of ones home. But vaping in public, your fair game.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  3. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

Wonder if the person from the link is a member of this Forum or knows about this Forum?

Makes me think about what i'm going to do vape wise if I come back for a holiday, as I'm so used to vaping wherever i want to now without even thinking about it not being ok...

4. Donkey
    Amused

Donkey Well-Known Member

I go out of my way when i see tourist blasting clouds. Just warn them to be careful most are shocked as many countries allow vaping, NOPE not this hell hole i tell them. 50 large? Damn man yeah Cambodia here i come. Screw this place i can live wherever i want. Thailand that is it im finished.

5. Chodi

Chodi Well-Known Member

Cambodia vaping is also illegal only I hear they don't enforce the ban very seriously. There are an increasing number of countries that are banning vaping but none are threatening individuals with 5 years in jail for vaping in public or personal possession of vaping gear.

6. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

Since long SEA / Asia is the worst region in terms of vaping restrictions. Even in China they don't like to see it, the only reason why they don't pursue is there is an industry behind. In Thailand there is not. I have been pointing onto that a long time but all advocacy was about the relatively mild restrictions in EU and NA. Not that I think it's all good there.
    To my opinion it is no use to fighting that silly dragon. Lets vote with our feet and get as many as possible on board.

7. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

If he was in Bangkok it should. Isn't the officer speaking in that video Lt-General Sanit Mahathavorn, Chief of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police Bureau?

Sanit appointed Metropolitan police chief - The Nation
    I agree, pay-up and get the hell out. But option 1 (legit way) is an unknown really. I'm not a lawyer (and the forum member here that claimed he was hasn't posted since before this stuff got real) but as far as I know no one has gone before a judge for a vaping offense? It would be interesting to hear if anyone has.
    The law that was pointed out on Facebook covers ANY item brought into the country that hasn't been taxed. Is that a crime or a misdemeanor? It's the same law they use to stop people coming over the border with alcohol or cigarettes over the allowed amount. In those cases a fine is issued on the spot, no court, no criminal record. So why would it be handled different with an e-cig if the offence is charged under that same law?
    Yes e-cig's are banned, but their are no laws/penalties specific to them (yet) that I'm aware of. So what would the court do? Could be anything from dismiss it to charging you the 4x fine to putting you in jail for 5 years to make an example of you.
    Not a chance I'd like to take.

debatedude, Siam Diesel and pierdon like this.
  8. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Professional Lurker

I got arrested 2 days ago at a roadblock for driving license check, my VTC Mini was not hidden in my bike box and the policeman found it but smiled and I was on my way (he totally knew what it was).

Of course next time I will hide it better as it was quite scary regarding the latest stories.

As usual this is a matter of you attitude in front of the Thais, I was polite smiling, speaking in Thai and I had of course all the required documents for the bike I was driving.

On a side note I met plenty of Thai and Farangs vaping away outside at cafes and restaurants without a care in the world, note that I'm also in Chiang Mai which can be very different from other places like Bkk.

9. farangmick
    Worried

farangmick Well-Known Member

I won't be leaving Thailand except as a puff of smoke up a temple chimney. But if I were single, and I felt strongly enough, then Vientiane or Penang. With a family (and if I had a much bigger pension), definitely New Zealand. Vaping in the sticks is still OK though.

10. kevin bangkok

kevin bangkok Well-Known Member

WONDER what happened to his fluency in Thai, in all this happening don"t sound right
    some how,they normally want 50k for drunk driving,(when proven)and that is in a proper
    police stn.he got taken to the cleaners,problem was his child was with him,Shameful !!!

11. taotoo

taotoo Well-Known Member

Where you actually arrested?

12. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Professional Lurker

Nope just stopped for a driving license check.

13. taotoo

taotoo Well-Known Member

Had me worried there for a moment!

14. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

Reading the story, the problem here is not really the vape, this guy was just so unlucky to get caught by the most corrupted police station in all Thailand...

Konvict likes this.
  15. Tokay
    Lurking

Tokay Well-Known Member

Agreed. Depends where you are, seem to hear a lot about "warnings" around the Bangkok/Pattaya area from my guests. No fines just being yelled at by locals/police.

The other day I was sitting outside work puffing away looking down at my phone when 2 pairs of long pants stop in front of me. Look up and of course it's 2 BiB.. couldn't believe it and already thinking about how much this was going to hurt my wallet. But they just complimented the smell and one of them said he had a brother who sold juice if I was interested :rolling laugh:

yourauntbob, Donkey, Galeenet and 5 others like this.