1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Random coil malfunction

Discussion in 'Vaping Technical Issues' started by David in Bangkok, Feb 23, 2015.

1. David in Bangkok

David in Bangkok Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I have only had issues where my coil stopped working, or the ohms went low enough that it wouldn't fire with my devices.

This time the ohms went down, but the coil fired up. But it fired up between the post and the coils, whereas the coils didn't light up. It did this a couple of random times, then just started doing it all the time.

Is this just that the coils went bad?
    This is no real issue as I was using this coil hard for almost a full 30 days, and I don't do a great job with the coils to begin with, so very unsurprising if the coil just finally went bad. I just never saw it still light up like this and was just curious if this was pretty common.

2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

I'd say that that coil has given it up...time for a replacement.

3. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Give it a poke around and a squeeze with tweezers. If it doesn't heat up properly (inside out) chuck a new one in there.

4. David in Bangkok

So I guess it's normal for it to heat improperly? It did this a few times randomly (and then I fixed it afterwards) but when it happens I get nasty dry hits so it's pretty annoying.

I actually made my own coil on the koil kurler and got it installed, my first coil not pre-coiled! Not bad either :)
    Thanks again for that coiler, it wasn't perfect, but I never got it close to this good without it!

5. Rick O-Shea

No, not normal. Was it bumped or moved? Probably your dodgy coils ;)

Venomx and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. David in Bangkok

Probably always being bumped or moved, but with the cap on, I'm not too careful with the RDA/MVP combo.

It does seem to fix itself if I play with the coils. Maybe when taking in/out the wick after this many times I just screwed something up, or got the coils out of whack. I know I'm doing things far from perfectly, but at least for the most part it still has been working fine though! :)

7. Submaniac
    Fiendish

Submaniac Ayatolah of Rock 'N Rolla

Sounds like the culprit is that the coils weren't properly secured to the posts/tightened down correctly and they moved making contact with the positive or negative blocks. The current won't flow through the wire, but will take the path of least resistance, hence the low resistance readings. The Kuro coiler is a wonderful device, so it shouldn't be difficult to make more coils. When you are making the coils (at least when starting out), leave plenty of lead on both ends of the coil. (A couple inches if necessary if you are a beginner, because the wire is easy to handle and wrap when it's longer). Unscrew the post screw as far as you can without it coming out. Grab the end of the wire with pliers then tightly wrap the wire around the post a few times (once or twice), so the wire is wrapped around the screw. Tighten down the screw. With the screw tightened down unwind the wire from under the screw SLOWLY and in small increments. Unwind the wire a little bit at a time, then tighten down the screw as you go along. It's not good to have a complete wrap where the end of the wire crosses over another part of the wire. Unwrap the wire until it is less than a complete wrap around the post, then tighten down the screw. You could clip the wires off, but what I do is once the screw is tightened down and the wire under it can't move, I twist it back and forth until it breaks off.

David in Bangkok and Siam Diesel like this.
  8. David in Bangkok

Usually I wrap around the post, that isn't a good idea?

9. Rick O-Shea

Around the post of the screw or around the post? I'm thinking the former.

10. David in Bangkok

Yeah around the screw. The other post I guess is better because it only requires a nut to screw down.

I guess the problem with going around the screw is having the screw pull on the coil when you screw it in.

11. Rick O-Shea

As long as you have whatever you wrapped the coil with sitting inside still it shouldn't pull it out of shape much, if at all.